Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 08:15 AM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times

Advertisements

Nothing beats a gun, but as I post this on such a fitting day, NYC is no more accepting of freedom than in was in 1776 when it refused to vote for independence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 10:11 AM

484 posts, read 560,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
Besides worrying about which weapon will fit your need for riding at night, how about a little common sense courtesy of the MTA: Riding Safely...
An earlier poster wrote:
Stay alert! Keep the volume on your iPhone low. Do away with the white earbuds as this is a giveaway that you have an iPhone.

If you are going to a rough area or it's late in the night just put your valuables away.
Possessions are things and things can be replaced. Your life can't.

I'm a woman and I ride the subways daily and work in some of the most dangerous parts of New York City: South Bronx, East New York, Brownsville, Stapleton/St. George, Hoe Avenue in the Bronx, etc. Work has also regularly taken me to Sing-Sing, Riker's Island and (now closed) Arthur Kill Prison. A number of ex-cons who were indebted to me for help sat me down and gave me excellent advice that has kept me safe for 15 years (so far).

Your brain is the finest weapon you can take with you. Am I a sheep? You bet. I know myself and I don't want the experience of killing someone or watching myself cut someone if I can avoid it. I don't want to spend any time in court or in jail if I can possibly help it. If that means handing over my wallet, so be it.

1. Be aware of your surroundings. With almost everyone around you locked in on their smart phones, I can tell you that makes you stand out. I"ve been on subway cars where there were only two of us looking around at other people -- and when the other guy saw me, and that I wasn't a "computer zombie" he switched cars and stole an Iphone at the next station from that car. When I'm in the subway, if I"m listening to music, I've got a black cord on my devices, and if I know I'm going into a bad neighborhood, they get put away until I"m out of that neighborhood.

2. If you make eye contact with someone, nod and say "Good Morning." Don't avoid looking at people or act scared. A very experienced pick pocket and mugger told me that he always avoided someone who looked him in the eye -- figured they could describe him later if they had to. I practice glancing at strangers and then describing them in my mind in case I have to -- how tall, what were they wearing, etc.

3. Dress to run. I carry dress shoes with me, but on the subway I"m wearing flats or sneakers that I an move in.

4. Dress down. I don't worry about wearing good clothing on the subway, but if I know I"m going into neighborhoods that concern me, I dress drab and plain.

5. Be with others in the middle of the train. Most dangerous car is at the back end. Safest is the fifth car (where the conductor is). Most dangerous time of the day is the MIDDLE of the day, or late at night/early in the morning. I always wait with others on the platform, never at the ends, alone. On the platform I"m looking around and I"m not near the edge. If you travel in the middle of the day or late at night, learn to look for the "zebra board" on the platform. It hangs from the ceiling at the point where the conductor's window will be when the train pulls in. Wait there if there are people on the platform. If there is no one on the platform, wait upstairs as close as possible to the zebra board ready to zip down to that location when the train pulls in.

6. Know where you are going, know two stops before that point, so you don't have to double check on the map in the car if you feel anxious.

7. Keep that confident air. Know where you are going, look around like you own the place, but don't start any fights with others.

Hope that's helpful.

Old 07-04-2016, 04:22 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,328 times
Unleash a beat down on em kick em in that balls elbow them to the face make them regret messing with you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City