Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 08:50 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,669,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i stand corrected
Stuy Town and Parkchester are the sibling complexes of Riverton. Correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 09:37 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,233,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aforbes011 View Post
My boyfriend and I are looking to move from bedford stuyvesant to an apartment in harlem and we aren't sure if the area is safe. We visited when it was dark outside but were not sure if that is indicative of the dangers that may or may not be present. The area is east 135th and there ARE housing projects nearby.

yay or nay?
I would suggest you look for something on the west side of Harlem. Bed-Stuy had a worse reputation than Harlem through most of the 90's, and it still does depending on who you talk to, so this might actually be a slight upgrade for you.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:12 PM

3 posts, read 21,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aforbes011 View Post
My boyfriend and I are looking to move from bedford stuyvesant to an apartment in harlem and we aren't sure if the area is safe. We visited when it was dark outside but were not sure if that is indicative of the dangers that may or may not be present. The area is east 135th and there ARE housing projects nearby.

yay or nay?
harlem and bed-stuy are BOTH changing. actually bed-stuy is just beginining to flourish, and harlem has been and is well on its way.
135th and madison, is generally a ok area, as long as you're not in lincolin projects then for the most part you're good. they're shaping up lincolin slowly but surely. there is a significant police presence over there. lenox terrace is the best bet but there you're gonna be coming out your pocket 1500-1800 for a 1bdr, 2,500-2,700 for a 2bdr.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:09 PM

4 posts, read 27,442 times
Official Is Right! Harlem is changing a lot... The rent is sky high!! Why would you want to move into Harlem?? What about the Harlem already in Brooklyn? Did you see the article here on this forum??

Welcome to Brooklyn's East New York the "new Harlem", where working-class families can find apartments loaded with granite countertops, bamboo floors, French door closets, and Crate and Barrel sinks for prices ranging from $110,500 studios to $350,000 three-bedrooms.

Selling homes in the area for the past 15 years, Ho has seen the neighborhood go from good to bad to worse to the current renaissance. In the early 1990s, drug sales and carjackings were as prevalent as eviction notices and buildings with no heat. Now, ground-up construction, condo conversions and a huge commercial shopping center have turned this often-maligned urban outpost on the city's fringe into an emerging neighborhood where home ownership has become a priority instead of a pipe dream.

- Lincoln Houses is one thing. Most of the problems are generated from the children in the neighborhood and in the nearby schools....

Yes, i heard about Bed-sTuy! I guess you have to be careful regardless and don't look as if you are lost or hopeless!

Lenox Terrac (expensive) doesn't have any gates and the doorman cannot protect you.

Riverton which is now owned and managed by Stellar Management (really expensive) has gates and security.

Maybe Striver's Row is much better (very, very expensive). Just make sure you are loaded with money!!!! Are you and your boyfriends considered to be "DINK" (dual income no kids)?? If so, there are tons of condos on 118 & 5th, Madison, and 116 st....

You have to have great credit like me... They searched everything and all my friends! hahahahah They investigate everything.... I never had any loans but I had one credit card that was sweet!!!!

The luxury condos and coops are very expensive ( totally overpriced and I feel like I am being robbed everyday) but it's worth it.... Just negotiate and you will feel a little little better! hahahahaha

Aforbes011 - I wish you the best..... I don't think you would fit in on 135th St; especially if you don't know how to fight or willing to spend some cash! It's expensive!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by official View Post
harlem and bed-stuy are BOTH changing. actually bed-stuy is just beginining to flourish, and harlem has been and is well on its way.
135th and madison, is generally a ok area, as long as you're not in lincolin projects then for the most part you're good. they're shaping up lincolin slowly but surely. there is a significant police presence over there. lenox terrace is the best bet but there you're gonna be coming out your pocket 1500-1800 for a 1bdr, 2,500-2,700 for a 2bdr.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:15 PM

4 posts, read 27,442 times
yes, you are right....

Now, Riverton is owned by Stellar Management and they have security gates all around...

Lincoln Tenants are not welcome into Riverton. However, Lenox Terrac doorman cannot protect you or prevent anything from happening on their premises... they should install some gates and it will help out... It would increase the rent but it will help out.. hahahhaha

You are better off moving to 86th st or 72th street.... Nice apartments there! There is a killer on the loose, but if you know how to run, he won't get you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalove View Post
Riverton is not a project. It looks like it but it's not. It's actually a somewhat luxury rental, just a beat shy of Lenox Terrace, without the fancy doorman etc.

The Lincoln Projects is definitely rough. Has always been and probably will always be.

Madison Avenue over by that way is going to be rougher than you're used to. It's changing, but slowly. There are a lot of low income housing juxtaposed with the condos. I wouldn't give up a good area in Bed Stuy for that area. JMO.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:11 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,041,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I would suggest you look for something on the west side of Harlem. Bed-Stuy had a worse reputation than Harlem through most of the 90's, and it still does depending on who you talk to, so this might actually be a slight upgrade for you.
Harlem's west side is pretty bad too. The lowest portion of west harlem is gentrified and therefore is a good area. But Edgecombe, Amsterdam, Hamilton, Morningside, Broadway and anything else west of St Nick from roughly 125th to 159th is the hood plain and simple. This is probably the biggest on going myth on these boards, that west Harlem is actually safe. The crime map I posted actually had the west Harlem area with a similar crime rate to the south Bronx.

When I was on 125th and Madison I wasn't intimidated. I expected worse from the way you guys speak about east Harlem. However I was ****ting bricks on Broadway from 141st to 145th and in central Harlem from 145th to 135th Lenox avenue.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Harlem's west side is pretty bad too. The lowest portion of west harlem is gentrified and therefore is a good area. But Edgecombe, Amsterdam, Hamilton, Morningside, Broadway and anything else west of St Nick from roughly 125th to 159th is the hood plain and simple. This is probably the biggest on going myth on these boards, that west Harlem is actually safe. The crime map I posted actually had the west Harlem area with a similar crime rate to the south Bronx.

When I was on 125th and Madison I wasn't intimidated. I expected worse from the way you guys speak about east Harlem. However I was ****ting bricks on Broadway from 141st to 145th and in central Harlem from 145th to 135th Lenox avenue.
****ing Bricks! LMAO! What's so scary about Broadway 141-145?! lol. St. Nick and Hamilton Place I could see but Broadway?! That area's full of people always and there's always cops around. At night maybe I could see being intimidated but during the day plz. What are you scared of Dominicans now?! The ghetto areas of the Bronx and Brooklyn are way more intimidating. That neighborhood is gentrifying. Just the other day while visiting my parents over there, I noticed there is now a Yoga Studio there. Lol. Every time I'm around there now I notice little things like that. Little boutique shops and cafes are opening up on Broadway too.

Central can be rough in spots yeah. Your off on East Harlem. You were on one of the nicer spots. On average its more dangerous than West/Central.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 05-01-2008 at 09:43 AM..

Old 05-01-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
****ing Bricks! LMAO! What's so scary about Broadway 141-145?! lol. St. Nick and Hamilton Place I could see but Broadway?! That area's full of people always and there's always cops around. At night maybe I could see being intimidated but during the day plz. What are you scared of Dominicans now?! The ghetto areas of the Bronx and Brooklyn are way more intimidating. That neighborhood is gentrifying. Just the other day while visiting my parents over there, I noticed there is now a Yoga Studio there. Lol. Every time I'm around there now I notice little things like that. Little boutique shops and cafes are opening up on Broadway too.

Central can be rough in spots yeah. Your off on East Harlem. You were on one of the nicer spots. On average its more dangerous than West/Central.
lol yeah I always wanted to say that. But seriously, that was the intimidating part, the fact that there were alot of people. No, not older Dominican women but the majority were grown black and Dominican men just hanging out. The Dominicans on 137th were loud as hell and I kept looking back to see if they were talking to me. As I moved up I saw kids with bandanas and black guys grilling me. Even a mexican group was looking at me wrong. I don't feel comfortable in places where there are a lot of people. Also I saw more black guys than Dominicans. Even a couple of Cubans. Where did you see the Yoga place? All I see there are bakery's and crown chicken. Broadway here for example is much worse than Broadway in Washington Heights. I fail to see why you think its such a nice neighborhood.

IMO West Harlem and the West Bronx are mirror images of each other. Both have predominantly Black and Dominican population. Although the West Bronx has a hell of a lot of Puerto Ricans. In fact last year, west Harlem was worse than the "trifecta" (as I like to call them) Highbridge, Morris Heights and University Heights. And to me when I am on Broadway I feel like I am on University avenue.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
lol yeah I always wanted to say that. But seriously, that was the intimidating part, the fact that there were alot of people. No, not older Dominican women but the majority were grown black and Dominican men just hanging out. The Dominicans on 137th were loud as hell and I kept looking back to see if they were talking to me. As I moved up I saw kids with bandanas and black guys grilling me. Even a mexican group was looking at me wrong. I don't feel comfortable in places where there are a lot of people. Also I saw more black guys than Dominicans. Even a couple of Cubans. Where did you see the Yoga place? All I see there are bakery's and crown chicken. Broadway here for example is much worse than Broadway in Washington Heights. I fail to see why you think its such a nice neighborhood.

IMO West Harlem and the West Bronx are mirror images of each other. Both have predominantly Black and Dominican population. Although the West Bronx has a hell of a lot of Puerto Ricans. In fact last year, west Harlem was worse than the "trifecta" (as I like to call them) Highbridge, Morris Heights and University Heights. And to me when I am on Broadway I feel like I am on University avenue.
The Yoga studio is on 145th between Amst. and Broadway. It's easy to miss, it's above a check cashing place (I know, how ironic, lol). A lot of the little boutique stores and cafes are easy to miss too amongst the typical ghetto surroundings, but trust they weren't there before.

Maybe cuz I'm used to it. But trust me the area was much worse in the early 90's. I get looked at weird all the time all over the place. Especially in the Bronx. I don't pay any mind to that ish. People are dumb and have bad manners. lol.

BTW, I wouldn't call it a nice neighborhood (although it is very nice on Convent, and a lot of Riverside too). But its certainly not the worst either, and I don't consider it particularly dangerous outside of a few hot spots.

I don't like Broadway. I would never want to live there. Doesn't matter if its Wash Heights or Harlem. Too loud and too many knuckleheads (especially once the weather picks up, forget about it). Although I think those knuckleheads are tamer than the Bronx ones.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 05-01-2008 at 10:30 AM..

Old 05-01-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
The Yoga studio is on 145th between Amst. and Broadway. It's easy to miss, it's above a check cashing place (I know, how ironic, lol). A lot of the little boutique stores and cafes are easy to miss too amongst the typical ghetto surroundings, but trust they weren't there before.

Maybe cuz I'm used to it. But trust me the area was much worse in the early 90's. I get looked at weird all the time all over the place. Especially in the Bronx. I don't pay any mind to that ish. People are dumb and have bad manners. lol.

BTW, I wouldn't call it a nice neighborhood. But its certainly not the worst either. I don't like Broadway. I would never want to live there. Doesn't matter if its Wash Heights or Harlem. Too loud and too many knuckleheads (especially once the weather picks up, forget about it). Although I think those knuckleheads are tamer than the Bronx ones.
OK...I agree with everything you said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City