Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 02:46 AM

99 posts, read 144,009 times

Advertisements

The UES is a joke as far as nite life is concerned. You can forget trying to talk to that girl wearing spandex but not even jogging glued to her iphone 7 -only out in japan- but by some miracle she has it. Dont bother trying to tell the idiot 40something year old that dogs are'nt meant to be put into a Chanel bag as carry on luggage.

I agree with the original poster. The people here are total SNOBS. Its like Manhattan 90210. The restaurants even suck! Good luck trying to find anything OPEN past 1am -other than Dominos pizza-.
Can somebody do something about the church on 76street and Lexington Ave?? There is homeless people hanging in front 24/7 ! Nobody cares. Can somebody tell the lady in 15A that gives her doorman $20 in a christmas envelope that he curses you out under his breath EVERYTIME you walk by.

People on the UES just 'fake the funk' i've noticed. They want to live in Doorman buildings but are cheap tippers. They walk by homeless people sleeping on the sidewalks right in front of their homes and despise them but would never give them a few dollars or better yet A HOT MEAL. These 'residents' of the UES are sooo desensitized from humanity. They actually try to snake their broker out of his 'broker fee' and go through building management only to find out to their embarrasment ....its a broker exclusive building and you can NOT live their UNLESS you go through THE MANAGEMENTS broker. LOL !

In conclusion. People on the UES *WISH* they could move to the UWS. These people are the type to get "organic" food delivered to them from FreshDirect.com and not even tip the delivery guy. tsk tsk. Sorry i work on the UES and i might be a little biased but really these people live a fantasy land and i hate how they CANNOT relate to any type of struggle and look down on people who live in the outer boros.

Last edited by iHateNYPD; 01-17-2014 at 04:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 03:36 AM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Ok, that's it, I've heard enough nonsense.

First the UES that most of you consider "wealthy" traditionally is Lexington Avenue and going west to Fifth. Third Avenue east towards York is technically Yorkville. Once you past East 96th Street it is Spanish Harlem, but we're not on that.

Bluebloods? What Wharton novel are you reading? The one main qualifier to live on the UES (Lexington to Fifth) is money true, but there is all sorts of money in those town houses and co-op buildings. White, Asian, Europeans, (some) blacks, gays, married gays, gay families, and so it goes . You have investment bankers whose "old" money goes back only as far as the 1980's living along side persons with names that go back to the 1920's or before. Madonna, Mr. & Mrs. Al Roker, Mary Tyler Moore, Michael Feinstein & husband along with countless others of similar ilk live on the UES.

Nightlife, besides the bars on Lexington and points east yes it is few, but then again the core of the UES is a residential area. You want bars you either hit Yorkville or go down to Mid-Town East.

As for the homeless sleeping on church steps, you Sir are totally *WRONG* and are ignorant of historical facts.

Back when NYC under mayor Rudy G. began to harass the homeless for *loitering* and other such nonsense as part of his "quality of life" initiatives the churches stepped in. They simply put out the word anyone was welcome to camp out on their steps overnight long as they behaved themselves. Because the churches are private property the NYPD nor anyone else can bother them for sleeping on those steps. The only persons who could are the pastors/reverends of said places and they have made their positions clear on the matter. Indeed many of those same churches run soup kitchens and other extensive outreach services for the homeless. Volunteer groups that work with that population know and or use said churches as "meeting points" to distribute food, warm clothing and other things required.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:05 PM

343 posts, read 1,092,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iHateNYPD View Post
The UES is a joke as far as nite life is concerned. You can forget trying to talk to that girl wearing spandex but not even jogging glued to her iphone 7 -only out in japan- but by some miracle she has it. Dont bother trying to tell the idiot 40something year old that dogs are'nt meant to be put into a Chanel bag as carry on luggage.

I agree with the original poster. The people here are total SNOBS. Its like Manhattan 90210. The restaurants even suck! Good luck trying to find anything OPEN past 1am -other than Dominos pizza-.
Can somebody do something about the church on 76street and Lexington Ave?? There is homeless people hanging in front 24/7 ! Nobody cares. Can somebody tell the lady in 15A that gives her doorman $20 in a christmas envelope that he curses you out under his breath EVERYTIME you walk by.

People on the UES just 'fake the funk' i've noticed. They want to live in Doorman buildings but are cheap tippers. They walk by homeless people sleeping on the sidewalks right in front of their homes and despise them but would never give them a few dollars or better yet A HOT MEAL. These 'residents' of the UES are sooo desensitized from humanity. They actually try to snake their broker out of his 'broker fee' and go through building management only to find out to their embarrasment ....its a broker exclusive building and you can NOT live their UNLESS you go through THE MANAGEMENTS broker. LOL !

In conclusion. People on the UES *WISH* they could move to the UWS. These people are the type to get "organic" food delivered to them from FreshDirect.com and not even tip the delivery guy. tsk tsk. Sorry i work on the UES and i might be a little biased but really these people live a fantasy land and i hate how they CANNOT relate to any type of struggle and look down on people who live in the outer boros.
iPhone 7 only out in Japan - hilarious

Old 01-17-2014, 02:03 PM

424 posts, read 974,014 times
Agree with Bugsy: I don't understand why people are going to the UES expecting there to be tons of nightlife venues. What are they expecting? It is not an area for that and historically wasn't expect for around 2nd Avenue in the 60's with PJ Clarke's and a Tiki Bar I'm forgetting the name of. Head down to the Lower East Side or the Meat Packing District for nightclubs if that's your scene. Or Midtown East even.

Painting everyone as snobs is a bit unfair also. If there's residents of the Upper East Side who should be drawing ire it's Jamie Dimon and David Koch among some others at 740 Park Avenue....

Old 01-17-2014, 02:25 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
Agree with Bugsy: I don't understand why people are going to the UES expecting there to be tons of nightlife venues. What are they expecting? It is not an area for that and historically wasn't expect for around 2nd Avenue in the 60's with PJ Clarke's and a Tiki Bar I'm forgetting the name of. Head down to the Lower East Side or the Meat Packing District for nightclubs if that's your scene. Or Midtown East even.

Painting everyone as snobs is a bit unfair also. If there's residents of the Upper East Side who should be drawing ire it's Jamie Dimon and David Koch among some others at 740 Park Avenue....
Why are you outing person's addresses?

Also what has either gentleman done to deserve "ire"? You may not agree with their politics or actions but last time one checked this is a free country. When you have scores millions and or find someone willing to employ you at that level of compensation, then by all means open your life up to public comment.

This may come as a shock to some but there are no small numbers of "Obama" supporters up and down the UES. You can see bumper stickers and or signs in windows proclaiming as much. Fundraisers where held in some of our very best Park and Fifth Avenue homes for the same cause as well.

Anyone who lives or has recent intimate knowledge of the UES will tell you things are changing. Yes, you still need money and perhaps a certain social, professional and or educational background to get into a white glove co-op on the "gold coast" (Fifth through Lexington), but as for the town houses and even some rentals things are changing. Quite a lot of it is banking money but not all just from Wall Street. You have France, London, Hong Kong/Asian and so forth as well. There is also tech, film and quite bit of international money as well. The two new buildings on East 79th Street (corner of Third and between Lexington and Park) are all sold out and if my sources are correct again you have various sorts.

Old 02-17-2014, 11:29 PM

99 posts, read 144,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLove View Post
iPhone 7 only out in Japan - hilarious
F.Y.I BELLA means beautiful in italian.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:24 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,409,105 times
I noticed how dry it was when u worked there. Very nice place but very boring.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:25 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
White People have dominated the area forever. Mainly jews and older residents (mainly jews). Anymore questions ?

I am jewish by the way. I got the hell out of that kibbutz YEARS AGO.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:28 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
Such a ridiculous thread. Most people don't go clubbing until 3AM. Most people have no desire to live in the decrepit and dirty Lower East Side, no matter how many restaurants and bars there are. Once you're over 30, Williamsburg is not quite as exciting as it was when you were 23.

Many like the UES for its proximity Central Park, museums, and midtown, and relative cleanliness. And there are plenty of restaurants and bars, even if they are "unhip."

To each his own. PS - I don't live on the UES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City