Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 10:53 PM

620 posts, read 1,067,096 times

Advertisements

Most neighborhoods in NYC have some character or type of vibe..but the upper east side doesnt ??

I have tried to like it but it is just boring and seems dry. I have friends I go visit in the neighborhood in the upper 60s.

Even the bars in the area were wack. Just a weird "different" crowd.

Can anyone help me understand ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 11:08 PM

420 posts, read 820,813 times
It's old money, so will be conservative and not as "free-spirited" as a place like East Village

Old 12-16-2013, 12:37 AM

31,635 posts, read 26,488,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
Most neighborhoods in NYC have some character or type of vibe..but the upper east side doesnt ??

I have tried to like it but it is just boring and seems dry. I have friends I go visit in the neighborhood in the upper 60s.

Even the bars in the area were wack. Just a weird "different" crowd. I dont get it

Can anyone help me understand ?
Upper 70's and 60's aren't really much of a "bar hangout" sort of place unless you go way over to Second, or First Avenue.

There are decent bars on Third, Second, and First from about East 72nd Street then going north. Especially on Third and Second.

Dorian's (historic the "Preppy Killer" hangout.
Mad River Bar & Grill on Third

Others: Upper East Side Bars & Nightclubs

Keep in mind many UES young people or whatever go downtown or elsewhere to get their kicks. Local spots are good during the week but sometimes you don't people to know your business.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:49 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,555,160 times
UES has always been associated with an "old money" atmosphere, staid, bland, and of course safe

UWS at one time was undesirable but has since the 80's been associated with gentrification, "new money" and "the" place for singles and entertainment.

UWS has evolved with the demands of modern media and entertainment whereas the UES has remained the same

best i can describe it

Old 12-16-2013, 08:52 AM

5,508 posts, read 8,698,562 times
The UES is basically split, with the dividing line being Lexington Ave. Between Lex and Central Park is old money, hedge fund and Wall Street bigwigs, society types, and assorted Eurotrash, with a sprinkling of everything else. It's heavily residential so by definition this is not going to be a thrill-seeker's paradise. Even the people who live there don't party there very much. It does have a "vibe" but it's one that depends on the money for mobility--these are the folks who do the Hamptons in the summer, Vail and St. Tropez in the winter, or perhaps Palm Beach.

Between Lex and the E. River it is generally less affluent (though far from poor) and more commercial, but very bourgeois: i.e, middle-class, conventional, and relatively unadventurous. But there are a lot New Yorkers and would-be New Yorkers who want that, especially if they have families. When you're raising kids, safe and bland can be good. For many years the UES was considered one of the few safe areas of Manhattan. And many newbies still like it for that reason.

Back in the day the bars on 1st Ave. in E. 60s were considered THE places to be. Places like Maxwell's Plum, if that rings a bell. But those places have closed and that energy has dissipated as other areas of the city have become safer, more attractive physically, and more exciting. So you're left with quasi-suburban life, except with subways and high-rises. Not for everybody. But it works for many.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:55 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,166,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post

Even the bars in the area were wack. Just a weird "different" crowd.

Can anyone help me understand ??
I've always liked the UWS more. I imagine the "old money" types live it up at fancy parties in their luxury apartments. But yeah in general outside of the museums on the East Side the UWS has a lot more amenities.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:29 AM

257 posts, read 682,517 times
I wouldnt live anywhere else in the city. I love it here. To each his own

Old 12-16-2013, 09:33 AM

18,364 posts, read 31,455,132 times
every neighborhood cannot be hip and trendy with bars and cafes all over the place, not everyone wants that.

i personally would never want to live near a bar, are you kidding me.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:41 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,251,322 times
UES, UWS and Park Slope have all been made into too nice of urban areas that have been cleansed of having multiple characteristics to define them. That's what happens when you remove all poor, working, middle, and even upper-middle class demographics from an urban population. You have to hire doormen just to have some working class people in the neighborhood.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:13 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,607,733 times
Because the people who live there like it that way, and have lots of money and political influence to keep it how they like it. I don't mind the UES when I go there, but it does feel a little like an alien planet. Further east, less so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City