Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 09:07 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times

Advertisements

Is it just me, but why are Parisians so pragmatic bunch when comparing other realties to their own like if the whole entire world revolves around Paris? A Parisian politicians compare the increase in crime in levels in Paris to that of the Bronx. A Parisian politician comment enflamed Bronxites along with the Bronx Borough president. Don't get me wrong, the Bronx is trying to shake off its image of urban decay years, but with media image of the Bronx is burning, and Jimmy Carter visiting Charlotte street, it looks like its going to be pretty hard for the Bronx to change or shape its global image and perception from others. Unlike the Bronx, Brooklyn which has some what spruced up its image, in matter of fact in France, the French use a new term Brooklyn meaning cool or hip, or Tres Brooklyn, which means very Brooklyn, meaning very cool. It seems that some in France, the French still regard the Bronx as a place that is dangerous, even though Bronx is not bad as it once was!

Vive la Bronx!*Locals say French pols are wrong, boro is safer than ever* - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 09:17 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Is it just me, but why are Parisians so pragmatic bunch when comparing other realties to their own like if the whole entire world revolves around Paris? A Parisian politicians compare the increase in crime in levels in Paris to that of the Bronx. A Parisian politician comment enflamed Bronxites along with the Bronx Borough president. Don't get me wrong, the Bronx is trying to shake off its image of urban decay years, but with media image of the Bronx is burning, and Jimmy Carter visiting Charlotte street, it looks like its going to be pretty hard for the Bronx to change or shape its global image and perception from others. Unlike the Bronx, Brooklyn which has some what spruced up its image, in matter of fact in France, the French use a new term Brooklyn meaning cool or hip, or Tres Brooklyn, which means very Brooklyn, meaning very cool. It seems that some in France, the French still regard the Bronx as a place that is dangerous, even though Bronx is not bad as it once was!

Vive la Bronx!*Locals say French pols are wrong, boro is safer than ever* - NY Daily News
Also, people still tend to believe the Bronx is dilapidated, burned into the ground, piles of urban rubble. These are the images they had seen and which were taken back in the 1970's and 1980's. Especially online, when you witness attacks on NYC the opposers of NYC use outdated (although historical at this point) images of the Bronx or Bronx's past.

You will find all sorts of Europeans moving into northern Brooklyn. The British, French, Germans, Swiss, Swedes, Spanish, Dutch, Czechs, ect. There is a French Clothing line which is based in Williamsburg, forgot the name.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:20 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,043,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
Also, people still tend to believe the Bronx is dilapidated, burned into the ground, piles of urban rubble. These are the images they had seen and which were taken back in the 1970's and 1980's. Especially online, when you witness attacks on NYC the opposers of NYC use outdated (although historical at this point) images of the Bronx or Bronx's past.

You will find all sorts of Europeans moving into northern Brooklyn. The British, French, Germans, Swiss, Swedes, Spanish, Dutch, Czechs, ect. There is a French Clothing line which is based in Williamsburg, forgot the name.

There are plenty of French near Boerum Hill and Carol Gardens in Brooklyn. Hell even some of the MTA vending machines have French language option now.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:30 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,879 times
Quote:
There are plenty of French near Boerum Hill and Carol Gardens in Brooklyn. Hell even some of the MTA vending machines have French language option now.
Indeed, lot's of Euros moving into north and south (historical label) Brooklyn by Storm. I know a French couple who moved to Myrtle Ave in Bushwick. I don't like using stereotypes but a lot of the Frenchies I've seen and met are big smokers, like every 25 minutes.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:49 AM

290 posts, read 688,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
Indeed, lot's of Euros moving into north and south (historical label) Brooklyn by Storm. I know a French couple who moved to Myrtle Ave in Bushwick. I don't like using stereotypes but a lot of the Frenchies I've seen and met are big smokers, like every 25 minutes.
Yeah, you have to remember over there it's not as frowned upon as it is here though. Visited Paris this summer, and I think I got more secondhand smoke in that 2 weeks than I have my whole life..lol. It's pretty abundant at every cafe you walk by.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:40 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:

My wife tells me there is a crappy neighborhood in Bogota, Colombia that goes by the name "El Bronx."

Old 12-17-2013, 10:43 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Compare and contrast:

The Bronx
Berlin
Sarajevo
Addis Ababa
Teguchigalpa

Old 12-17-2013, 10:45 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,503 times
If the city keeps moving in the same direction, the Bronx will have its day. For now, enjoy cheaper housing--it may not be around one day.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:22 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,631,584 times
"C'est le Bronx" means "It's a mess" or "It's a disaster" in French.

Sad but true. Old stereotypes die hard--it's hard enough to update the perceptions of people living in NYC, much less those abroad.

Last edited by yodel; 12-17-2013 at 11:31 AM..

Old 12-17-2013, 12:24 PM

573 posts, read 1,462,489 times
Quote:
in matter of fact in France, the French use a new term Brooklyn meaning cool or hip, or Tres Brooklyn, which means very Brooklyn, meaning very cool. It seems that some in France, the French still regard the Bronx as a place that is dangerous, even though Bronx is not bad as it once was!
Yes Parisians tend to think the world revolves around them (thats the main thing we hate about them), and yes in most people minds the Bronx still represents the epitome of crime, poverty and urban decay. You should hear people reactions when I tell them I'll stay in the Bronx this summer. Yet practically none of them ever set foot in the Bronx...

And like yodel said "C'est le Bronx" is an expression commonly used to describe a wild urban area, filled with drugs, violence and poverty. That's still the perception of a majority of people overseas.

As of this "très Brooklyn" thing, I remember seeing that in an article that was posted here but I can guarantee you I have never heard anybody use that. Maybe in the hipster circles, but where the regular people live, nobody ever used that. Actually you would be clowned or even slapped for saying such dumb stuff lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City