Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 12:36 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

For your reading pleasure: Whole Foods goes local in Brooklyn near Superfund site - Fortune Features
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 12:44 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Whole Foods is a nice store but it's just so stupid expensive that I can't justify even walking in the front door
I shopped in Whole Foods regularly. Its not expensive, no more so than any other NYC store. Certain name brand products are expensive. But you can buy the store brand or a brand that doesn't have an expensive name.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Lets see what happens when the Harlem whole foods branch opens!
It will do well. That part of Harlem has a lot of high end housing nearby.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:50 PM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
I suspect it will do very well because of rising incomes in Harlem and a dearth of places to buy good food. I guess the next frontier in Manhattan would be Washington Heights or Inwood, both of which are badly in need of a good supermarket. When I'm on the 1 heading uptown I always see people lugging bags of groceries from Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and Fairways.
Washington Heights has some pretty great smaller grocery stores.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:57 PM

Both the new Fairway and now Whole Foods on the UES have done serious damage to local grocery stores. This includes places such as Eli's which by no means is "cheap".

Fairway on 86th helped kill off the Food Emporium on Second Avenue though the subway construction didn't help either. That god awful Gristedes on 86th is still open, however have heard the FE on Madison may be closing.

Both Whole Foods and Fairway aren't that much more expensive than most established grocery stores. One also finds they have larger selection of things most places give short shift to; such as fresh and or organic veggies/fruits. It is also becoming harder and harder to find decent meats and poultry at many supermarkets at least from what one has seen in Manhattan.

As Fairway and Whole Foods expand hopefully their prices will even out as costs are spread around more stores.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:06 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I shopped in Whole Foods regularly. Its not expensive, no more so than any other NYC store. Certain name brand products are expensive. But you can buy the store brand or a brand that doesn't have an expensive name.
Trader Joe's can not be beat

Old 12-17-2013, 01:24 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernski View Post
It's cool that Whole Foods finally opened up in Boerum area blocks down from Barclays. Farm on roof is a good idea. Sale of bottled water and water used to rinse produce is suspect. Wonder if Whole Foods prices compete with food prices at nearby Trader Joe's?
Trader Joes is much cheaper than Whole Foods.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:30 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,738 times
I got in my mail the other day a flyer for their grand opening. They are giving away things like free bags for first 200 customers. Thats why all those freeloaders are waiting there.

I personally would be hesitant to shop there since its a Superfund site as someone else noted. And the Gowanus toxic waste cesspool floods everytime there is a big rain so its disgusting.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I got in my mail the other day a flyer for their grand opening. They are giving away things like free bags for first 200 customers. Thats why all those freeloaders are waiting there.

I personally would be hesitant to shop there since its a Superfund site as someone else noted. And the Gowanus toxic waste cesspool floods everytime there is a big rain so its disgusting.
Remember when WH opened in the Time Warner building and they were giving away those chic-chic "I recycle" bags. People lined up and went wild as well. Oddly about that time those bags began showing up on eBay ....

Am worried about the store being built over or near a Superfund site. I mean it isn't like the foods are going to be taken from the ground. Many parts of Brooklyn and Queens waterfront property are over some very polluted ground and that has not stopped development nor persons wanting to live in those buildings.

Newton Creek in particular isn't that much better than the GC, and yet look at all the planned and actual development.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Trader Joes is much cheaper than Whole Foods.
Not for all products. It depends.

I've bought whole wheat pasta from Trader Joes for $1.29 and from Whole Foods for $1.39.

Spaghetti Sauce in Trader Joes is about $2. In Whole Foods its going to be between $3-$9. It depends on the brand. The store or lower end brands in Whole Foods are not much more expensive than Trader Joes, though the higher end brands can be a lot more expensive.

Even this summer for whole fruit, for things like watermelons Whole Foods was about $1 more than Trader Joes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City