Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 10:59 AM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Maybe you can get a studio apartment for $800. After you pay rent you have $200 a week left for yourself.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 11:11 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Maybe you can get a studio apartment for $800. After you pay rent you have $200 a week left for yourself.
Could you live on $200 a week in this city ? How break it down and then I will fill in what you are missing

Old 12-21-2013, 02:21 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
Could you live on $200 a week in this city ? How break it down and then I will fill in what you are missing

The $200/week is AFTER the OP puts aside his rent money. $200/week for a single person is much more than enough.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:43 PM

11,198 posts, read 9,075,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay-son View Post
Long story short I need to find a place to live in a couple of months.

Unfortunately I make pretty **** money ($500 a week after taxes). I work in Queens and need to be able to use public transportation to get there.

Where should I be looking?
Any useful information would be appreciated.

This will be my first move from living with my parents.
how old are you? have you graduated high school? plans for college?? what type of job is this (500 a week after taxes)??

IMO, you should remain with your parents until you are financially and professionally grounded.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
500 a week x 4 weeks = 2K

800 = studio
112 = unlimited metro-card
100 = cell phone bill
60 = internet bill
200 - monthly grocery bill
60 = con ed bill
300 = entertainment money
Total - 1632.00 (not adding money for clothes, cleaning supplies, girlfriend, potential college tuition, etc)

Old 12-21-2013, 04:08 PM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
500 a week x 4 weeks = 2K

800 = studio
112 = unlimited metro-card
100 = cell phone bill
60 = internet bill
200 - monthly grocery bill
60 = con ed bill
300 = entertainment money
Total - 1632.00 (not adding money for clothes, cleaning supplies, girlfriend, potential college tuition, etc)

He may be sharing a family cell line with his parents so no $100 cell bill. I pay ~$140/mon for 4 lines with data/text.
I pay $20/mon for TWS internet, which I am actively looking for better deals when possible.
There is no law requiring one spend $300/mon on entertainment. otherwise, no homeless ppl would make it here in NYC.
His grocery/food expense might go over $200, at least I find it very difficult to feed myself here based on $200, even with a lot of cooking.

So he should be able make it here. After all, he can always work a 2nd or 3rd job if he needs more money for extra amenities. When you do not have money for entertainment, going to work is actually a better option for everyday life. There are a lot of out-of-state college students in NYC who get by fine on smaller budgets. Do not overestimate the challenge.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
He may be sharing a family cell line with his parents so no $100 cell bill. I pay ~$140/mon for 4 lines with data/text.
I pay $20/mon for TWS internet, which I am actively looking for better deals when possible.
There is no law requiring one spend $300/mon on entertainment. otherwise, no homeless ppl would make it here in NYC.
His grocery/food expense might go over $200, at least I find it very difficult to feed myself here based on $200, even with a lot of cooking.

So he should be able make it here. After all, he can always work a 2nd or 3rd job if he needs more money for extra amenities. When you do not have money for entertainment, going to work is actually a better option for everyday life. There are a lot of out-of-state college students in NYC who get by fine on smaller budgets. Do not overestimate the challenge.
he might not be sharing a cell phone plan.. 20 for TWS internet what is your speed??

entertainment = going out with friends, taking girls on dates, etc.. not having a budget for entertainment = no social life.

work a 2nd or 3rd job = no social life. also, there is no guarantee that he would able to find one.

out of state college students who might have the financial support of their family, have student loans, etc.

OP left out a lot of info. (his age? education status. high school? plans for college?? what type of job he has (500 a week after taxes)??

Old 12-21-2013, 04:19 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post

I find many of the numbers too low but then I suppose you could do it if you got up got on the train, went to work, came home and went to bed. Changing the rules of the game by talking about 2nd jobs and such changes it for $200 a week

Old 12-21-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
he might not be sharing a cell phone plan.. 20 for TWS internet what is your speed??

entertainment = going out with friends, taking girls on dates, etc.. not having a budget for entertainment = no social life.

work a 2nd or 3rd job = no social life. also, there is no guarantee that he would able to find one.

out of state college students who might have the financial support of their family, have student loans, etc.

OP left out a lot of info. (his age? education status. high school? plans for college?? what type of job he has (500 a week after taxes)??

My speed is the lowest available, like 2-3MB/sec? I welcome you to visit TWS website and see if that works for you. With his $2k budget, the priority would be to make it livable first before thinking of any entertainment. Very often the work place functions as a social place where he could meet and make new friends while being a productive person. If he needs more money to survive or entertainment, how else would he get that money?

Old 12-21-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
I find many of the numbers too low but then I suppose you could do it if you got up got on the train, went to work, came home and went to bed. Changing the rules of the game by talking about 2nd jobs and such changes it for $200 a week
I have a family so I actually spend a lot of time at home. Of course I make more than he does however I have a much longer expense list as well. The # may seem low but it is sufficient and manageable and planned based on his budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City