Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 12:54 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
It's accurate if you think carefully about the questions and answer it how you actually say things, not how you think you say them. This can be tricky because when you read a word, the pronunciation in your head might be different than what comes out your mouth. I had this issue with the Mary, marry and merry question. I had to take a few minutes to think about how I really pronounce the words.
Well, that one's a little bit hard, but very few people still have the distinctions. I have merry as different while Mary and marry are the same, which is apparently the rarest of all possible combinations.

Also, a lot of the quiz is about word choice rather than pronunciation. What you call a median or a highway or a rotary (showing my biases!) doesn't say anything abour your accent and is probably much more easily influenced by the first time you heard a word for a (sometimes obscure) concept than an accent is. I had seen rotaries before I lived in Massachusetts, and called them traffic circles then, but Massachusetts really drove rotary into my head, so now they're rotaries. Since I don't drive now, and rotaries are basically unheard of in the NYC area anyway, it's not likely that will change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 12:59 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Fun little quiz that pinpoints your American dialect. Not a surprise but I sound like I'm from the surrounding NYC area/suburbs. The pinpoint on the map says my dialect is most similar to that found in Yonkers/Jersey City

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...-quiz-map.html
Totally accurate for me.It says I speak in a Boston dialect and I grew up in Boston…….and I thought I had lost the Boston accent.

I think it detected me through certain words and terms even more than pronunciations.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:04 PM

19,506 posts, read 9,534,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I know that there are drive-through liquor stores in Pennsylvania but I've never been to one and have no clue how they operate / what they're called.

I've heard of one in Chambersburg, PA, called
Good Ta Go (hopefully the below listed link will be helpful to you):

Good-Ta-Go

We usually go inside by foot rather drive-thru. It's a nice place either way it seems.
One can go in and get some munchies and a glass of beer (other non-alcoholic beverages available).

Old 12-23-2013, 02:33 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,128 times
New York/Newark/Yonkers/Paterson... Test was pretty accurate for me...

Old 12-23-2013, 03:11 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Apparentely you gotta take this test on your MacBook air while sipping fair trade coffee from Colombia to get accurate results.

I call BS on my three cities.
I've never been to Honolulu and somehow I have an accent from there.
I tried the test on an buddies ipad, it still says my dialect is Californian from the NYT website.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:36 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I am soooooooooooooooooo New York!!!

"New York", "Yonkers" with a little "Newark" thrown in, now that was scary.

I thought for sure there would be a question regarding "the things the firemen use to put out fires".

No, not a fire hydrant, but a "Johnny Pump"....................

Old 12-23-2013, 06:34 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,355,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
I got New York/Yonkers/Jersey City.
The same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Again for me completely inaccurate and that might be because I spent part of my childhood overseas (2 years in England and then in countries where English was not the first language). So it is possible I absorbed other pronunciations not typical to the places that I have lived in the USA.
How is it going to be completely accurate if you spent part of your childhood overseas? I wouldn't expect it to be, unless your time was only spent there prior to the age of two or three, before these nuances actually infiltrate your language.

It's not like you just move to the NE and you start saying things differently. Many people I know who have moved to NY still say pop instead of soda or hoagies instead of heroes---and these are people who have been here for awhile.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:57 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
Took it again, says my dialect is upstate New York. Hmmm its close enough.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:59 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall View Post
New York, Newark/Patterson, Philly.
Went to college in Philly but never set foot in Newark or Patterson.
I can tell, because if you had, you would know it's spelled Paterson.

Mine is Newark/Paterson/New York/Jersey City.

Makes sense, since I grew up ten miles from Paterson, worked in New York for 30 years, and now work in Jersey City!

Old 12-24-2013, 08:02 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
I took the quiz a few times to see what happens. There are a few versions/questions.

I say Mary and Merry similarly. Marry is different. It was tricky because if I read them carefully I'll annunciate and the pronunciations are accurate (as in standard English accurate). But I had to think of how I say them out loud in a sentence to hear how I actually say it. I said "Merry Christmas" and "Hello Mary Jones" and "Did they marry?"

Also, I think if you are raised in a house hold with parents/family that have accents that might influence how and what you say.
This is true. I grew up with a friend whose father was from the Bronx, (I remember him asking her, "Hey, Dahlene, you got fie dollas?") and a mother from Virginia near the North Carolina border whose family had been there since the 1600s and had that old, genteel, Southern accent. She pronounced a lot of words differently from the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City