Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2013, 05:03 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times

Advertisements

how many posters like the domino- like skyscrapers along 6th Avenue between W 46th-W 54th streets? this includes the old Burlington House display, NY Hilton, the former Equitable, JC Penney bldgs, Time Life, Exxon, former McGraw Hill, former Celanese(now home of Fox 5 TV) and Westpoint Stevens bldgs

these are considered the westward expansion of Rockefeller Center.

do you think they are an exciting and attractive eastern entrance to the theater district or does it make no difference?

i remember back in the late 70's when 7th Avenue by Duffy Square was a bit on the sketchy side (occasional hoodlums and pickpockets by the XXX places) it was always a relief to seek refuge to the east around the big skyscrapers of 6th Avenue. a few footsteps put you in a different world.

tho today even 7th is getting glassy and contemporary and much of the danger is gone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 08:34 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
I don't like the style. I find it dull and repetitious, almost like they were all built from one set of plans.
They seem to have left architecture in the lurch in favor of getting the most square footage from a plot of land.
They scream mindless corporatocracy to me.

But tastes differ.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:50 AM

5,521 posts, read 8,769,797 times
I think that stretch of Sixth Ave is absolutely stunning because with its design and architecture is says one thing: POWER.

No other stretch of NYC says "power and money" to me like the corporate offices lined up along 6th. IMO Its totally impressive. Not beautiful, but impressive. You walk there and you know you're in the center of the business world; sleek, anonymous stacks of cubicles is sleek anonymous buildings that create a big, bustling and powerful place for the Masters of the Universe. That is definitely not to everyone's liking, but I think it creates an atmosphere unlike any other in NYC and it does exactly what it's supposed to do for the businesses there and the people who come to visit.

After all, the heart of 6th Ave Midtown is named after a Rockefeller!

Old 12-23-2013, 10:16 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
i agree. not beautiful but impressive. ive taken numerous shots of the skyscrapers lined up against each other without any space in between. and the water fountains in front of 1251 are indeed impressive too

i remember back in the 70's a guy tried to rob my friend on 48th and 7th and we just ran like gangbusters to the "shelter" of 6th and its skyscrapers. it was a totally different world in just a few footsteps. those towers are impressive towering over the honky tonk of 7th

up until 1980 there were XXX places just south of W 46th street along the W side of 6th. i guess the blight of Times Square at the time had partially infested 6th until they filled in the rest of the blocks with towers in the 80's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: