Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 07:55 PM
F10 F10 started this thread

8 posts, read 15,955 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a townhouse very close to Verrazano. I checked areas like Rosebank and Grasmere, but I just recently found something very interesting in Concord. I would like to know what you think about the area ? I think they have projects over there, and I did a bit of online demographics research, but dont know anything else besides that.

I would like to hear what you think about Concord.

Cheers !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 09:15 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Concord is a pretty nice area but as you say it does have some "patches". Overall however it is very nice and close to the expressway so your driving commute may be a bit easier.

Best thing to do is drive over and spend a day looking around, talk with some of the area locals on the blocks where you are thinking about living for their input.

Old 12-23-2013, 05:33 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
not such a great area, IMO

Old 12-23-2013, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
not such a great area, IMO
Anywhere near the projects, would agree. But if you stick to Narrows Road South, Fingerboard Road, parts of Stuben, going towards Richmond Road, and Hylan Blvd it isn't that bad. Also many relators tend to overlap/confuse Grasmere with Concord so a home could be listed as the latter but really in the former.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:25 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Anywhere near the projects, would agree. But if you stick to Narrows Road South, Fingerboard Road, parts of Stuben, going towards Richmond Road, and Hylan Blvd it isn't that bad. Also many relators tend to overlap/confuse Grasmere with Concord so a home could be listed as the latter but really in the former.
I drew up a map showing my personal definitions of Staten Island neighborhoods. (I also started using the census data to calculate the demographics, based off census data but never got around to finishing it)

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=...28013,0.055189

What Google Maps has listed as Concord is actually the dead-center of Grasmere. Concord is basically the area west of the SIR tracks, within a few blocks in either direction of the SIE. (So the areas by Hylan Blvd & Fingerboard Road would be Arrochar/Rosebank, depending on where exactly you are).

Old 12-25-2013, 09:54 PM

Thank you for the replies guys.

The place I am interested in buying is on Stage Ln, which according to the map posted by checkmatechamp13 is in Park Hill. I dont see any projects in the immediate vicinity, but I do know they have some refuge center not that far. I drove by the area a few times, it seems normal, different houses some nice and some not so nice, but overall the area did not appear bad.

I was also looking at a more expensive property on Rockwell Ave (Rosebank), which according to the realtor is a better area. They are literally 5 min apart so not sure how big of a difference can that make.

I personally like the Stage Ln property better, not necessarily because its cheaper, I just like the layout better, but I do know the three rules of real estate: location, location, location so dont wanna make a mistake here.

Old 12-26-2013, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10 View Post
Thank you for the replies guys.

The place I am interested in buying is on Stage Ln, which according to the map posted by checkmatechamp13 is in Park Hill. I dont see any projects in the immediate vicinity, but I do know they have some refuge center not that far. I drove by the area a few times, it seems normal, different houses some nice and some not so nice, but overall the area did not appear bad.

I was also looking at a more expensive property on Rockwell Ave (Rosebank), which according to the realtor is a better area. They are literally 5 min apart so not sure how big of a difference can that make.

I personally like the Stage Ln property better, not necessarily because its cheaper, I just like the layout better, but I do know the three rules of real estate: location, location, location so dont wanna make a mistake here.

I'd think again about living anywhere near Park Hill especially the projects.

Have seen those townhouses and they are nothing I'd want to live in, but then again that is just me. Typical "spit and cardboard" construction as we say on the Rock.

Park Hill especially in and around the projects is heavily African (Liberian) which is not automatically a bad thing but again there are problems.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:56 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,031,222 times
5 min can make a world of difference. A weird thing about SI is that 2 or 3 blocks can make a world of difference in the neighborhood. For example, my street is fine, but just one block north starts to get horrible. I'd skip Concord and look closer at Rosebank

Old 12-26-2013, 01:08 PM

Moving to SI really requires one not only live in a "good" area but have excellent neighbors as well.

Five minutes from the "hood" isn't that great a difference and trust me the elements from those places know exactly where to find *you*.

Park Hill Houses are just up Osgood Avenue from Stage Lane, almost literally "around the corner", so to speak.

Case in point, there are scores of beautiful Victorian homes on Vanderbilt Avenue and the area surrounding Baley Seton Hospital, but the area has not reached it's full potential due to the crime levels.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:47 AM

Thanks again. I appreiciate your input. I will pass on Stage Ln.

Separate unrelated questions (perhaps should open a sparate thread):

1. Some express busses to midtown from areas like Travis go through NJ. Has anyone taken a bus to midtown on a Monday morning from lets say Travis? According to Google maps the commute is ~60min. Is it safe to assume that it shouldn't take longer than 90min ? Any real life experiences ?

2. How was Dongan Hills (Olympia Blvd area) affected by Sandy? I like the area, but not sure if its a good idea to buy there. Since its in zone A the flood insurance must be pricy (will call insurance to verify).

Cheers !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: