Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 01:24 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times

Advertisements

Remember, that kid next to you in homeroom, the bully too stupid to get into college. He might be a cop with a gun and he's no smarter than he was before...probably even stupider.

Last edited by Kefir King; 12-24-2013 at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 02:52 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Proactive policing = hassling people before any crime has been committed
Do you think that this has not been happening, since the beginning of time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Remember, that kid next to you in homeroom, the bully too stupid to get into college. He might be a cop with a gun and he's no smarter than he was before...probably even stupider.
Did you get your head flushed down the toilet? Wedgied?
Anyone placed in an authoritarian position tends to roll with it.
152 - Eddie Murphy - YouTube
Have you ever been a boss? Think everyone loved you? Some probably fantasized about busting a cap in your azz. In which case, you'd call the police.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:44 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
If the shoe fits, then change shoes! If you want to look like a thug, you are gonna be treated like one. It speaks volumes that some of you just don't "get it." Oh, it is certainly your right to dress as you like. Just be ready to accept the consequences!

Old 12-24-2013, 07:59 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Same precinct that covers the northwestern part of Forest Park:
104th Takes Ridgewood Family Under its Wing | The Forum Newsgroup

Old 12-24-2013, 08:15 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whymeagain1 View Post
I do, at least a portion of the year. I also support many civic organisations, and have been on review committees. I like the fact that Times Square is not filthy as it was years ago. I like that the crime statistics are lower, and that people can visit and feel safe. That criminals receive sentences which act to keep them from being able to re-offend in the near future.

I support high bail/bond to protect the public while allowing people their constitutional right to reasonable bond. Reasonable being defined as a balance between protecting the public and giving people their constitutional right
Its easy to lump up everything in one sentence to support your opinion, but:
1) Times Square has not changed because stop and frisk. It was about licences given (or taken away) from stores and businesses. Its a municipal decision first, rather than a LE one.
2) Criminals: yes, some are getting long sentences and fill up the jails. But, have you ever considered the economic toll on us for being #1 country on planet earth, with more than 2M people incarcerated? Did you calculate the total cost of law enforcement and correction facilities we pay? A price that bankrupts states...
3) Being a "suspect": its totally subjective. What may seem suspect to you, may not seem to me (or vice-versa). People can (still) walk on public grounds anywhere they wish. Nervously looking? If that's a criteria for being considered "suspect", my boss would spend his life in police custody.
4) Don't get me wrong: I am all for law enforcement and keeping public order, but am still not sure how much stop and frisk contributes to lowering crime. Crime rate went down in many large cities without it.

Last edited by oberon_1; 12-24-2013 at 08:27 PM..

Old 12-24-2013, 08:27 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whymeagain1 View Post
I support high bail/bond to protect the public while allowing people their constitutional right to reasonable bond. Reasonable being defined as a balance between protecting the public and giving people their constitutional right
I agree with everything else you've said, but just want to point out that bail does not exist to protect the public per se. Bail is set with one goal: to provide a reasonable motivation for the defendant to return to court. That is the only factor that judge is allowed to consider. There are various facts regarding each defendant which will determine the judge's decision whether the defendant should be expected to return, but protecting the public is not a valid determining factor in regards to setting bail.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:35 PM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
For about 20 years now, college is a requirement to join the NYPD. Under Bloomberg and Kelly though, preference has been given to "citizens" who weren't born in this country. Maybe the fact that half (or more) of each class of cops for the last decade has been 3rd world immigrants wasn't such a good goal to achieve...

Old 12-24-2013, 09:55 PM

130 posts, read 291,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I agree with everything else you've said, but just want to point out that bail does not exist to protect the public per se. Bail is set with one goal: to provide a reasonable motivation for the defendant to return to court. That is the only factor that judge is allowed to consider. There are various facts regarding each defendant which will determine the judge's decision whether the defendant should be expected to return, but protecting the public is not a valid determining factor in regards to setting bail.
I fully agree that in pure theory of law you are correct. But remand is often used to protect the public (ie: the accused has frequently re-offended when released on bond, or murder's <accused murders> with ties to the community but little liquid capital are given bonds they have no reasonable expectation of meeting they also have no reasonable expectation of evading arrest should they fail to appear)

If you believe that an accused rapist with a job 7-11 he has held for 10 years and family in the community and no foreign relatives, no passport and elderly parents and a wife and children is going to get a PR bond or $50000 cash or bond since " Defendant has significant ties to the community, no previous arrests, and provides significant support for his family" you are mistaken. He will be lucky to receive $250,000 Bond and more likely $500,000 unless he has significant equity a bailbondsman is unlikely to post for him and he has been effectively remanded.

Meanwhile Claus v. Bulow post 1 million bond, has dual citizenship, a net work of friends with private planes, yachts and access to significant assets .......

Old 12-24-2013, 10:09 PM

130 posts, read 291,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Its easy to lump up everything in one sentence to support your opinion, but:
1) Times Square has not changed because stop and frisk. It was about licences given (or taken away) from stores and businesses. Its a municipal decision first, rather than a LE one.
2) Criminals: yes, some are getting long sentences and fill up the jails. But, have you ever considered the economic toll on us for being #1 country on planet earth, with more than 2M people incarcerated? Did you calculate the total cost of law enforcement and correction facilities we pay? A price that bankrupts states...
3) Being a "suspect": its totally subjective. What may seem suspect to you, may not seem to me (or vice-versa). People can (still) walk on public grounds anywhere they wish. Nervously looking? If that's a criteria for being considered "suspect", my boss would spend his life in police custody.
4) Don't get me wrong: I am all for law enforcement and keeping public order, but am still not sure how much stop and frisk contributes to lowering crime. Crime rate went down in many large cities without it.
1) I don't disagree but increased police presence helped make it safe also
2) True, and yes I have considered. I favour execution after an expedited appeal process. 3 time felon offenders, rapists, murders, terrorist, kidnappers, major drug dealers, child molesters, and hijackers, armed robbers, home invaders. I am not a liberal. I don't want to waste money and I strongly feel a spate of executions for these types of crimes without a 20 year appeal process would discourage criminality.
3) Yes subjective. If an officer's judgement is frequently off, sack him. ie: standing outside the Pierre stopping everyone for stop and frisk, perhaps he has judgement issues and is in the wrong job. Stopping someone one lurking in bushes off a foot path in Central Park at 2 AM not a bad call. I think we can trust that in GENERAL officers use common sense. I know how to have them called on the carpet if they mis-step and I am beyond certain that I am not the only one.
4. I don't know how much it does either, but if someone engaged in criminal conduct has such a stop to be concerned about he may not carry a firearm on him anymore, or he may think twice about lucking outside a service door in a plan to rob or home invade.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:10 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Eh the cell phone/camera trick is only good for entertainment on youtube, social media etc.

9 times out of 10 when the full story comes out, the cop was in the right and they are exonerated.

I believe the Civilian Complaint Review Board has like a 10% or less prosecution rate against cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City