Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 06:31 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times

Advertisements

Meet The 17-Year-Old Who Blew The Lid Off Racial Profiling With His iPod

I was walking in Forest Pk the other week when I was stopped my an undercover NYPD cop for "being off trail". I took a few steps off the (barely marked) main trail and this police thug uses that as a pretext to give me the third degree and frisk me. This is truly disgusting. We are now apparently presumed guilty until proven innocent.

These paid mercenaries who WORK FOR US are treating us (the citizens of NYC) like the enemy. It's now apparently the policy of the NYPD to harass people going about their business just for looking "suspicious" or just to fill a quota. We need to hold these thugs accountable. They cannot be allowed to violate civil rights with impunity. They need to be reminded WE are the employers; they work for US not the other way around.

CARRY A VIDEO CAMERA WITH YOU. Take a video when you see police violating peoples civil rights. Personal video cameras are now dirt cheap. Protect your civil right from the police Mini Button Camera Hot Video Voice Recorder Camcorder| eBay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 06:58 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Only one way to hold them accountable. Good luck and remember the 11th commandmant.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:09 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
I think it's one of the hugest issues in NYC and hopefully a defining point in the city history will be that change.

Police Officers, and their employers need to be held 100% accountable for their errors.

Stop & Frisk was a violation of the US Constitution. That error will cost the taxpayers hundreds of millions in lawsuits. Regretfully the officers were doing their management directives- those who created the policy and the mayor who stood behind it should bear some of the fiscal responsibility.

LEO in NYC who issue wrongful citations or park illegally out of the necessary line of duty, should be fiscally penalized and have their jobs held on the line.

NYPD gets away with far too much under the guise of safety. I think they do a decent job, but it has become apparent they live under a very different set of laws than the rest of the city.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:00 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
The NYPD Tapes: A Shocking Story of Cops, Cover-ups, and Courage: Graham A. Rayman: 9780230342279: Amazon.com: Books

This book tells it all

Old 12-23-2013, 11:09 PM

130 posts, read 291,253 times
Good lord. I do not condone blanket authority for the police, but occasionally you need to have vigorous off the record discussions with illegal elements. Also stop and frisk isnt a terrible idea.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:15 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
I was walking in Forest Pk the other week when I was stopped my an undercover NYPD cop for "being off trail". I took a few steps off the (barely marked) main trail and this police thug uses that as a pretext to give me the third degree and frisk me.
I remember walking through forest park late at night with a bunch of buddies about 10 years or so ago in search for some keg party. Cops stopped us and were nice enough to point us in the right direction. I recall being surprised of the assistance.

Lately I do think the cops have been on high alert in the park due to some recent rapes. I believe that they have decided to even install cameras in the park.

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1551579

Old 12-23-2013, 11:58 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whymeagain1 View Post
Good lord. I do not condone blanket authority for the police, but occasionally you need to have vigorous off the record discussions with illegal elements. Also stop and frisk isnt a terrible idea.
And just what is an "illegal element" and how do you identify one?

Old 12-24-2013, 01:59 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,085,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Meet The 17-Year-Old Who Blew The Lid Off Racial Profiling With His iPod

I was walking in Forest Pk the other week when I was stopped my an undercover NYPD cop for "being off trail". I took a few steps off the (barely marked) main trail and this police thug uses that as a pretext to give me the third degree and frisk me.
You do know that several woman were raped or molested in Forest Park earlier this year, right? Forest Park had a huge police presence for that reason and no doubt is why they have undercovers working the park. This sounds like appropriate use of stop and frisk.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:46 AM

106,670 posts, read 108,833,673 times
i agree as well. there were quite a few sexual assaults there. until the bad guys wear signs this is just the nature of the beast. as a kid in the 1970's i had pretty long hair. i got stopped and frisked everywhere i went.

while it was an annoyance i had nothing to fear from it. it certainly was nothing anyone of us made a big deal over.

Old 12-24-2013, 06:30 AM

130 posts, read 291,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
And just what is an "illegal element" and how do you identify one?
An illegal element is anyone who appears, or I guess I ought say potential illegal element would be anyone who appears suspicious, out of place, overly nervous and when confronted is unable to reasonably justify why they are where they are at doing whatever they are doing or in possession of items which they ought not be.

Also those persons who have a history of wiggling out of charges, I really wouldnt care if they came up with some bruised/broken ribs or other relatively minor injuries in the course of a discussion about their conduct.

But,, I may be two steps to the right of Mussolini (shrug)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City