U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 10:09 AM

4,830 posts, read 8,192,902 times

Advertisements

I'm NOT talking about the housing lotteries or the projects.

I have my name on the waiting list for several Manhattan affordable apartments. Does anyone know how long the wait actually is?? For one, they said it could be 3-5 years. Another said 4 years. Still another said 3-8 years. Is this typical?? I know you won't get one right away and I don't mind waiting 3 or 4 years but I wonder if they purge the list after a while? Or if they actually go through the list. On one list, I got a number in the mail of 3000-something. Does that actually mean there are 3000 people ahead of me or is that just an ongoing list and there may only be 100 people ahead of me?

I wish I knew about these apartments a long time ago! I always knew about housing lotteries and projects but never had any idea about these buildings!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 10:54 AM

9,083 posts, read 22,613,268 times
It sounds like you are talking about Mitchell Lama program rentals ? If yes,the time frames they gave you are probably pretty accurate. I know people who have waited 7 or 8 years to get into good buildings in Manhattan below 96th st.

The biggest problem is that many who got apartments through the program are illegally subletting as a means of income and living elsewhere, so the turn over is very,very slow.

You can probably get a Mitchell Lama apartment much faster if you look in the other boroughs but if you are hell bent on Manhattan you might have to wait a very long time.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:25 AM

I looked at the ones in Queens and they weren't anywhere I would want to live, not to mention, they got terrible, terrible reviews for cleanliness, crime, and safety issues. I definitely don't want The Bronx and I'm not at all familiar with Brooklyn and don't want to be on a waiting list for an area or building that is not at least halfway decent.

The buildings I chose are all below 96th so I guess I will have quite a wait. Like I said, I don't mind waiting as long as I know the list won't be purged and started all over again..

Do you know anything about the numbers? Am I actually the 3000-something person on the list or is this just an ongoing list and I might actually be 300-something or even 200-something (wishful thinking!)

Old 12-25-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It sounds like you are talking about Mitchell Lama program rentals ? If yes,the time frames they gave you are probably pretty accurate. I know people who have waited 7 or 8 years to get into good buildings in Manhattan below 96th st.

The biggest problem is that many who got apartments through the program are illegally subletting as a means of income and living elsewhere, so the turn over is very,very slow.

You can probably get a Mitchell Lama apartment much faster if you look in the other boroughs but if you are hell bent on Manhattan you might have to wait a very long time.

Don't they ever check on this?!??! I know that in ST and PCV (rent stabilized), they were going ballistic trying to get out the illegal sublets and get the apartments back.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:20 PM

9,083 posts, read 22,613,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Don't they ever check on this?!??! I know that in ST and PCV (rent stabilized), they were going ballistic trying to get out the illegal sublets and get the apartments back.
They check sometimes but not very much.There was an article in the NYT a month or so ago about someone in a Mitchell Lama co op who was renting out space, sort of as a hotel, to people over the internet.They are trying to evict him.

Maybe you should put your name on the waiting lists for some Mitchell Lama Co Ops too while you are at it.

Old 12-26-2013, 08:57 AM

7 posts, read 19,288 times
Can someone please advise me how to get on the affordablel housing lists? I'd really appreciate it, I'm new at this and trying to find my way around here. I'll apply to anything Mitchell Lama or othe rentals. Because of my aging parents I do need to stay in Manhattan, Thanks so much!!
Arley

Old 12-26-2013, 10:34 AM

343 posts, read 1,037,733 times
Quote:

I have my name on the waiting list for several Manhattan affordable apartments. Does anyone know how long the wait actually is?? For one, they said it could be 3-5 years. Another said 4 years. Still another said 3-8 years. Is this typical?? I know you won't get one right away and I don't mind waiting 3 or 4 years but I wonder if they purge the list after a while? Or if they actually go through the list. On one list, I got a number in the mail of 3000-something. Does that actually mean there are 3000 people ahead of me or is that just an ongoing list and there may only be 100 people ahead of me?

I wish I knew about these apartments a long time ago! I always knew about housing lotteries and projects but never had any idea about these buildings!
what buildings are you talking about? Mitchell Lama?

Old 12-26-2013, 01:28 PM

26,820 posts, read 20,468,357 times
Quote:

Some of those lists are so long and old that it could be decades before you are called if ever in your lifetime.

People just do not move out of NYC as before, especially if they are in decent "affordable" housing. So turnover is low, very low. You can find a list of ML buildings with open lists here: What is a Mitchell-Lama building anyway? Here's your need-to-know guide to one of NYC's greatest real estate deals | BrickUnderground
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>