Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 11:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,587 times

Advertisements

Hello, all, I would appreciate some advice on the following. I intend to purchase a house in Queens. According to the home inspection report, the house uses oil heating and the oil tank is located underground. Given this, my attorney has advised me to request the seller to remove the underground oil tank from the ground, replace it with a fiberglass oil tank which is above ground and arrange for tests to ensure that there is no environmental contamination before the sale. The seller shall bear the costs.

I agree with the view of my attorney because of various issues related to oil tanks I have come across on the Internet. However, the seller seems to reluctant to do so. Thus, I would be grateful if someone can help to provide an estimate of the total costs in doing the above. A breakdown will be useful. The estimate can help me in negotiating a lower selling price. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 11:21 AM

130 posts, read 291,212 times
the seller is reluctant, not because of the cost of testing removal or new install, but because if it is tested and there is contamination clean up could cost more than the home is worth and he would not be able to sell the home until clean up was complete or a purchaser had assumed cost and perhaps posted a bond for clean up

Old 12-25-2013, 11:24 AM

Ahh sorry as you ask, if one is fortunate clean up is 90,000 and if not over 1 million, it depends on type of fuel, the size of spill and if it has spread to any other neighboring properties if their is ground water contamination, a great many factors

Old 12-25-2013, 02:11 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Walk away.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:28 PM

Yes ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ what he said

Old 12-25-2013, 04:57 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Ask to see the oil usage over the past 3-5 years and see if its on average with other homes.

For further info see the following link:
http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/32263.html

Old 12-25-2013, 05:10 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
It doesn't have to be a big deal to have an in ground oil tank certified as abandoned.Plenty of companies do this for a few thousand dollars.They dig out the area above the tank,cut a big hole in the top of the tank,siphon out all of the oil and residue,clean the inside of the tank,inspect the tank and then fill it with sand and put the soil back on top.The whole procedure takes about 1/2 a day.Finding leaks or problems is rare.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:25 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
If I was the seller, I would not do it. I would not care if you walk away, there will be someone else.

But, on the other hand, I do though, understand why you would walk away, I would too.

I am thinking along the lines of "Love Canal"

Old 12-27-2013, 07:48 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,969,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
It doesn't have to be a big deal to have an in ground oil tank certified as abandoned.Plenty of companies do this for a few thousand dollars.They dig out the area above the tank,cut a big hole in the top of the tank,siphon out all of the oil and residue,clean the inside of the tank,inspect the tank and then fill it with sand and put the soil back on top.The whole procedure takes about 1/2 a day.Finding leaks or problems is rare.
What this person said. My old heating company used to do this all the Time. Convert the house the gas heating and we would so this above procedure for the in ground oil tank, certify as abandoned, pass inspection and your on your way. Couple of thousand as for costs.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:18 PM

I agree it isnt a big deal UNLESS.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City