Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 12:07 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,408,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I would have thought that the competition would have made rates lower (those other companies that knock on your door), but they are no better!

We were on automatic billing and Con Ed made a big mistake reading the meter and deducted about $700 from our account. They admitted being at fault, but were just like - sorry - oh well. We no longer pay automatically.
NEVER EVER EVER do automatic paying with Con Ed...EVER ! I tried that a year ago and my bill skyrocketed. When I called to complain the A hole on the phone told me I could save money by not spending so much time on my computer.

I was getting $300 + bills in the summer. I took myself off it and my bills went down considerably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 01:21 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,210,085 times
My bill this month was higher than normal. I think it was from having my mini heater on, on days my heat wasn't on. I wasn't happy it was more but at the same time I agree with cnyc and refuse to be cold. I'd rather pay a little more and be comfortable then wearing 4 layers in my apartment.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:01 PM

31,761 posts, read 26,716,490 times
Judging by the empty boxes put out on recycling day many buildings must be skimping on heat. Am seeing many heater boxes put out for rubbish even around parts of the UES/Yorkville.

Have a basically NIB oil filled "radiator" heater purchased years ago when first moved here as the older windows were not well sealed. However the next year building installed modern ones and since then don't bother. Refuse to run up my electric bill on top of already high housing payments. If things are chilly wear socks indoors and sweat pants, which actually is normal for me since always suffer from "cold feet"! *LOL*

Have no proof but am willing to bet many of these apartment and house fires we are seeing this winter are from improper use of space heaters.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:45 PM

4,171 posts, read 4,046,897 times
I don't understand why the supply charges (charges for electricity) vary so greatly month to month. For example in September the supply charge was 8 cents per kWh. In October the supply charge was 12 cents per kWh. That's a 50% increase in one month. It's not a rate increase as I notice these large price changes happen often.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:21 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,091,324 times
CON-Edison. Never enough $$ for them.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:36 PM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health and peace!" (set 11 days ago)

43,465 posts, read 44,179,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
My bill this month was higher than normal. I think it was from having my mini heater on, on days my heat wasn't on. I wasn't happy it was more but at the same time I agree with cnyc and refuse to be cold. I'd rather pay a little more and be comfortable then wearing 4 layers in my apartment.
My bill was also higher than normal this month. I find this odd since I was away for nearly a week around the end of November (which is part of this month's bill) for the Thanksgiving holiday.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:48 PM

8,094 posts, read 6,718,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
My bill was also higher than normal this month. I find this odd since I was away for nearly a week around the end of November (which is part of this month's bill) for the Thanksgiving holiday.
My guess is that Con Ed does what the oil companies do around summertime...jack up the prices

Old 12-28-2013, 05:14 PM

106,250 posts, read 108,257,613 times
only problem is they don't control prices the worlds markets do. i couldn't believe how low gas stayed this past summer.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:43 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,762,499 times
I live in an almost 900SF 2br apt and my monthly con ed is $25-$45. Summer with Ac is around $35-$65/$70 (mostly $55 ish though). I really think something is up with your meter/connection.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:33 PM

1,153 posts, read 2,137,555 times
I don't know about that. It's .29 combined with supply and delivery charges. Then factor in the taxes, surcharges, and other bull they add. I think most of it is the fact that I am unemployed so I'm here ALL the time. That means TV running often. My GF works overnights so by the time I fall asleep, she comes home and turns the TV on again. Then it shuts off for a couple hours until I wake up. We used the heater a bunch when the heat wasn't kicking on only because my daughter will cry if it gets chilly in her room. Just crazy how much they charge per kWh here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City