U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 08:51 AM

26 posts, read 92,520 times

Advertisements

Is it very time consuming to commute from the Rossville/Woodrow part of Staten Island to Lower Manhattan? Do High school students commute regularly from there to High Schools in Manhattan or Bronx?

Relocating from Iowa so exploring various options.

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 09:35 AM

44 posts, read 136,439 times
I assume you (or your child) will be doing this commute via public transportation?

Some obvious stuff you may or may not know: Staten Island is fairly "cut off" from the rest of NYC mass transit-wise. There are no subway lines that run to Staten Island, so your options getting to lower Manhattan are either bus to subway or bus to ferry.

Rossville is kind of out there, so we're talking an hour-and-a-half commute minimum, I'd guess. High school students do regularly commute in NYC, but that's longer than normal--your kid would be beat by the time they got to school.

Plus, and I don't mean to be rude here, but the fact that you ask about commuting from Staten Island to the Bronx for a high school student shows me that you may not have a good idea of the distances involved. That commute would be about 2 1/2 hours.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:37 AM

A follow-up question: why would you have your student commute to Manhattan or the Bronx? If you're considering living in Staten Island, there should be some decent public school options.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:58 AM

897 posts, read 1,152,417 times
It's generally a pain to commute out of staten island. I lived right off of Woodrow Road and Foster Road and had to commute to 23rd street daily.

You have two options from the south shore:
1. Train -> Ferry -> Train (if needed downtown). $2.50 each way. About 2 hours with the transfers but very predictable schedule.
2. Express Bus - $6 each way. About 1.5 hours on an average day.

That's the reality of commuting out of SI.

Hope that helps!

Old 12-31-2013, 11:46 AM

@juanus_superbus - you are not being rude at all. I need to get the reality of it. I did get a sense of distances from Google Maps, but maps vs actually doing it, in my opinion, varies. So thank you for the input.

In response to your question on why would I want my high-schooler to commute to Manhattan or the Bronx - she has some specific choices and has a friend who goes to high-school in Lower Manhattan. They live in Manhattan though - but we don't want to live in Manhattan. I guess the mid-west has spoilt us with lots of open spaces...

@ayoitzrimz - thanks for the input. Very helpful indeed!

I guess my other options are Astoria, Queens or also looking at Dyker Heights,Bensonhurst area - commute from there to Lower Manhattan seems to be a lot less time consuming, but not sure if they are safe places and also real estate might be difficult to get.

Thanks again!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:45 PM

897 posts, read 1,152,417 times
Be careful with Dyker Heights and Bensonhurst. but especially Dyker Heights as there are no subways between I think 3rd avenue and 18th avenue (I could be wrong, I dont live in NYC anymore and might be forgetting but definitely on 86th street and lower around the golf course your kid will be walking or taking the bus to the subway station).

Astoria is really nice and a decent commute to NY but towards midtown. Have you tried Bay Ridge? I used to live by Owl's head park - nice area nice neighborhood plenty of parking (for Brooklyn) and reliable N/R train service running along 4th avenue.

Good luck!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:54 PM

I didn't realize that. I will take a closer look at the subway lines closer to Dyker Heights and Bensonhurst and see what's out there. Bay Ridge was also on my shortlist - so thanks for validating that. Will play closer attention to that part of town.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:01 PM

If you want something with a bit more space, and possibly a stand-alone home as opposed to an apartment, there are definitely options within Brooklyn and Queens. I would look there.

Astoria is a good option, although as one poster mentioned it's an easier commute to mid-town than it is lower Manhattan. Still, transferring on the subway is a way of life--rare indeed is the lucky soul who has a single train commute. For the most part Brooklyn and Queens gives you a much easier commute than Staten Island, but again, it depends on where you are.

Specifically could you tell us where in lower Manhattan you're talking about? It would be easier to give you an idea of commute times.

Bay Ridge is a good, possibly single-train commute to lower Manhattan; it's a bit more family oriented and less "hip" than other Brooklyn neighborhoods near the water as well, so it could be more affordable.

Cobble Hill and Brooklyn Heights are both beautiful, but can be expensive. If you think of your classic Brooklyn street scene (think the Cosby Show) that gives you an idea of what the houses look like. They're row houses primarily, but very nice.

Go on to google maps, go to layers, and turn on the "transit" layer. It'll show the subway lines in NYC. Look where you're talking about in lower Manhattan, and then see what train lines go by there.

Old 12-31-2013, 01:44 PM

"Less Hip" is fine. This is all still planning guys - my daughter still has to take the SHSAT to try and get into Stuy, but she is quite advanced and has done quite well in all her tests/school grades etc. I realize the SHSAT was administered early December, but when I spoke to the Stuy folks they said there is another one administered in late August for upper classmen and transferees like us. So - we will probably rent until we know for sure she is in. But if she does get in, Stuy is where we are looking for her to commute to.

That's a great tip on the Google Maps. Will have to try that out.

Thanks guys!

Old 12-31-2013, 11:50 PM

3,896 posts, read 8,561,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achatter View Post
Is it very time consuming to commute from the Rossville/Woodrow part of Staten Island to Lower Manhattan? Do High school students commute regularly from there to High Schools in Manhattan or Bronx?

Relocating from Iowa so exploring various options.

Thanks in advance!
I know people at Stuyvesant who said that there were classmates commuting from Staten Island. However, I don't think too many of them came from all the way down on the South Shore.

For what it's worth, Staten Island has its own technical high school (Staten Island Tech in New Dorp), and the SHSAT qualifies you for that. It isn't quite as prestigious as Stuyvesant, though. (The cutoff is a little lower)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
It's generally a pain to commute out of staten island. I lived right off of Woodrow Road and Foster Road and had to commute to 23rd street daily.

You have two options from the south shore:
1. Train -> Ferry -> Train (if needed downtown). $2.50 each way. About 2 hours with the transfers but very predictable schedule.
2. Express Bus - $6 each way. About 1.5 hours on an average day.

That's the reality of commuting out of SI.

Hope that helps!
And the problem is that Rossville isn't really near the SIR, so unless you get a lift that's basically not an option. There is the S74 bus to the ferry, but that is a lot slower and unreliable, compared to the SIR, especially in the AM rush.

Rossville doesn't have any direct express bus to Lower Manhattan (the X22 only goes to Midtown), so for that commute, they would have to take the S74 (or get a lift) to Huguenot Avenue and then take the X19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achatter View Post
I guess my other options are Astoria, Queens or also looking at Dyker Heights,Bensonhurst area - commute from there to Lower Manhattan seems to be a lot less time consuming, but not sure if they are safe places and also real estate might be difficult to get.

Thanks again!
Just so you know, the problem isn't necessarily that you're coming from Staten Island: It's that you're coming from deep on the other side of Staten Island. If you guys were to move to an area near the VZN Bridge, the commute would be much more managable, albeit still somewhat difficult.

And all of those areas you listed are safe areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoitzrimz View Post
Be careful with Dyker Heights and Bensonhurst. but especially Dyker Heights as there are no subways between I think 3rd avenue and 18th avenue (I could be wrong, I dont live in NYC anymore and might be forgetting but definitely on 86th street and lower around the golf course your kid will be walking or taking the bus to the subway station).

Astoria is really nice and a decent commute to NY but towards midtown. Have you tried Bay Ridge? I used to live by Owl's head park - nice area nice neighborhood plenty of parking (for Brooklyn) and reliable N/R train service running along 4th avenue.

Good luck!
It's between 4th & 18th where there's no subway service.

Along 86th Street, the B1 bus runs pretty frequently, so it's not necessarily that bad to take the bus to the subway. (And the ride is only around 10 minutes or so).

Keep in mind that there's also the X28 express bus from Dyker Heights to Lower Manhattan, for those days when she doesn't feel like taking the bus to the subway.

The area by Owl's Head Park isn't too far from the subway, but for those days when it's cold or snowy, there's the B9 & B64 which connect to the R train at Bay Ridge Avenue (the B9 also connects to the N at 59th Street). There's also the X27 express bus to Lower Manhattan.

Just a little side note: Students in NYC get Student MetroCards to take the local bus or subway to school (for free). However, those cards aren't valid on the express bus, so if you take those, you pay the full $6. There's a weekly pass available for $55, if she wants to take it every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>