Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 18,572 times

Advertisements

hello.

My brother and I along with my mom have been recently evicted and our mother has abandoned us. I the oldest went to public assistance and got a one shot deal before but my mother never paid her part eventually leaving my younger brother and I alone to survive on our own. We tried to keep making payments on the apartment but couldn't manage and were evicted. We are renting a small bedroom to share until we can find a place but I was thinking of applying for a one shot deal for first, last and brokers fee. I have two jobs where I make good money just need help with the first part if not I will be stuck in this small bedroom for another 6 months. I also forgot to mention my brother is handicap but does not receive ssi anymore because he aged out. What documents will I need for the one shot deal for housing ? Any one know housing rentals that offer apartments for people with vouchers ?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 01:34 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w.dominguez15 View Post
hello.

My brother and I along with my mom have been recently evicted and our mother has abandoned us. I the oldest went to public assistance and got a one shot deal before but my mother never paid her part eventually leaving my younger brother and I alone to survive on our own. We tried to keep making payments on the apartment but couldn't manage and were evicted. We are renting a small bedroom to share until we can find a place but I was thinking of applying for a one shot deal for first, last and brokers fee. I have two jobs where I make good money just need help with the first part if not I will be stuck in this small bedroom for another 6 months. I also forgot to mention my brother is handicap but does not receive ssi anymore because he aged out. What documents will I need for the one shot deal for housing ? Any one know housing rentals that offer apartments for people with vouchers ?

Thank you
HRA/DSS - Applying for Benefits

NYC Affordable Housing Resource Center

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-03-2014, 02:35 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w.dominguez15 View Post
hello.

Thank you
Good luck Dude hope all works out for you...sounds like you got a raw deal

Old 01-03-2014, 03:25 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
I have no specific solutions for you, but have you at least tried calling around to see if any agency has some other suggestions for you?

Maybe start with the Public Advocate's office: (212) 669-7200.

Good luck.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:09 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,544,976 times
Try the legal aid society or coalition for the homeless- good luck!

Old 01-04-2014, 09:26 PM

130 posts, read 291,229 times
Also try the st vincent depaul society (212) 755-8615 you dont need to be catholic

Old 01-16-2014, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 18,397 times
Your brother has only aged out of SSI under your month.

if he is 18 he can apply for SSI on his own and receive the full amount of the check.
If he is 18 he is no longer eligible to have SSI under your mom BUT he can get it on his own.
Send him to SSI to apply for it for himself or accompany him there.

Alot of landlords will take the one shot deal payments to move in. Just call and ask.

You can reach me at adamcth a o l if you need some more guidance. I am in the process of getting a one shot deal loan myself right now and have been dealing with alot of agencies in the city before.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:46 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcth View Post

Alot of landlords will take the one shot deal payments to move in.
Really? If a LL does, it'd be the stupidest thing he can ever do. Is the LL that desperate to fill a vacancy that willing to stoop so low in accepting a one shot deal? Why not just get a regular, financially stable, working tenant.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:58 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Really? If a LL does, it'd be the stupidest thing he can ever do. Is the LL that desperate to fill a vacancy that willing to stoop so low in accepting a one shot deal? Why not just get a regular, financially stable, working tenant.
The landlord would need proof of long term income, whether its a job or if they want to go that route, a government program (SSI, Section, 8, etc.) I agree a landlord is foolish to take someone in with an one shot deal with no proof of additional ability to pay.

With that said, the original poster should take his brother to the SSI office and have him reapply as an adult. He should also take his brother to contact agencies that deal with disabled. BronxWorks, Salvation Army, Catholic Charities, etc are all good starts.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcth View Post
Your brother has only aged out of SSI under your month.

if he is 18 he can apply for SSI on his own and receive the full amount of the check.
If he is 18 he is no longer eligible to have SSI under your mom BUT he can get it on his own.
Send him to SSI to apply for it for himself or accompany him there.

Alot of landlords will take the one shot deal payments to move in. Just call and ask.

You can reach me at adamcth a o l if you need some more guidance. I am in the process of getting a one shot deal loan myself right now and have been dealing with alot of agencies in the city before.
Actually, his brother could go to The United States Social Security Administration and complete a big portion of the process online. Since the OP has internet access, through him so does his brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City