Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:57 PM

33,394 posts, read 46,819,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
They could keep the schools open and make it clear that parents could keep the kids home if they are worried about safety.Parents should have the option to keep the kids home or not.Teachers and administrators should be required to be there.

The real reason schools get closed is because teachers who live in Nassau,Suffolk,Westchester and Rockland start squealing like pigs when there is an inch on the ground.A lot of them don't come in even when the schools stay open in the dinkiest of storms.They should make city residency a requirement for teachers again.
What about extending that to all municipal employees?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 03:59 PM

9,239 posts, read 23,977,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
The odd 3-day weekend comes around and you're bummed huh?
Just had a week and a half off for the holidays,hardly need or want a 3 day weekend on top.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:00 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,547,939 times
Quote:
Just had a week and a half off for the holidays,hardly need or want a 3 day weekend on top.
Just asking.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
What about extending that to all municipal employees?
Not a bad idea.It should definitely be for cops,firemen,teachers and sanitation workers though.On top of the importance of keeping these departments running,I think these municipal workers should live among the people they serve.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:03 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,477,223 times
Quote:
I am a teacher and I don't think the schools should have been closed today.The storm was too dinky.A delayed opening might have been in order.Everyone forgets what a horrendous burden it is on parents who work to have to wait until they wake up in the morning to find out that they have to scramble to make alternate plans for the kids when their bosses are telling them they have to come to work.Not fair to put the parents in that position.

I actually think that the schools should never be closed except in very very extreme circumstances.Teachers should be required to be there and the parents should have the option to keep their kids home or not ,depending on their needs.In the old days teachers were required to live in New York City precisely because keeping the schools open was considered so important.
You are not a teacher, you are a professional babysitter. Our job is not to provide babysitting services for those parents who can't take care of their kids, it is to educate. When it is dangerous out, there is no reason to expose children to those dangers. Teachers and administrators are still working at home (at least those of us who are not just babysitters are working). Teachers still have to be able to park their cars and walk on clean sidewalks (neither of which seems to be a priority to the city as shopping areas get cleaned before school areas). Also, buses must be able to function.
Bloomberg's priority was to torture teachers, De Blasio actually worried about safety of children.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:04 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,477,223 times
Quote:

Again reaffirming the fact that you evidently don't "bring your work home".

Old 01-03-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
You are not a teacher, you are a professional babysitter. Our job is not to provide babysitting services for those parents who can't take care of their kids, it is to educate. When it is dangerous out, there is no reason to expose children to those dangers. Teachers and administrators are still working at home (at least those of us who are not just babysitters are working). Teachers still have to be able to park their cars and walk on clean sidewalks (neither of which seems to be a priority to the city as shopping areas get cleaned before school areas). Also, buses must be able to function.
Bloomberg's priority was to torture teachers, De Blasio actually worried about safety of children.
Give me a break. When I was a kid schools closed maybe once every two or 3 years .Nobody had any problems with getting to school in the snow.Now everyone starts clamoring for schools to close after an inch or two,especially the teachers.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:11 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,163,247 times
Quote:
Give me a break. When I was a kid schools closed maybe once every two or 3 years .Nobody had any problems with getting to school in the snow.Now everyone starts clamoring for schools to close after an inch or two,especially the teachers.
It was like that and I remember going to school on some days that nobody had any business being outside. I got jumped pretty bad actually on one of those days. Also honestly those days were a waste. At least half the teachers weren't there.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Again reaffirming the fact that you evidently don't "bring your work home".
Wow,getting personal. I must have hit a raw nerve with you.

FYI,I always have plenty of work at home.Intersting you decided to launch a personal attack.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:23 PM

15,477 posts, read 15,449,978 times
Potential hazards? It's just an ordinary storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City