Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 04:29 PM

545 posts, read 906,066 times

Advertisements

Middle schools and high schools are for the most part no longer neighborhood zoned schools. Most kids can no longer just walk a few city streets to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 04:32 PM

31,633 posts, read 26,478,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Give me a break. When I was a kid schools closed maybe once every two or 3 years .Nobody had any problems with getting to school in the snow.Now everyone starts clamoring for schools to close after an inch or two,especially the teachers.
Thank you!

Old 01-03-2014, 04:35 PM

43,303 posts, read 44,001,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Potential hazards? It's just an ordinary storm.
Normal snowfall but abnormally low temperatures.

Mayor De Blasio has children in the school system and the former Mayor Bloomberg didn't. So I think that the new mayor's perspective about the children's waiting in the cold is different than the former mayor and that played into his decision to close the schools today.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:04 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,805,312 times
The schools closed because the teacher's union wanted a day off. This had nothing to do with the snow. De Blasio is nothing more than a pawn of the public employee unions.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:25 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,477,223 times
Quote:
Give me a break. When I was a kid schools closed maybe once every two or 3 years .Nobody had any problems with getting to school in the snow.Now everyone starts clamoring for schools to close after an inch or two,especially the teachers.
See Moonwatcher's quote below. Teachers have been forced to live outside the city boundaries because they can't afford to raise families on teacher's salaries in NYC. That makes commutes more important.

Quote:
Wow,getting personal. I must have hit a raw nerve with you.

FYI,I always have plenty of work at home.Intersting you decided to launch a personal attack.
No, you just seem to like presenting narrow points without full disclosure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonwatcher View Post
Middle schools and high schools are for the most part no longer neighborhood zoned schools. Most kids can no longer just walk a few city streets to school.
Yes! This seems to be conveniently ignored by all the Bloomberg acolytes. They think everyone lives in Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Normal snowfall but abnormally low temperatures.

Mayor De Blasio has children in the school system and the former Mayor Bloomberg didn't. So I think that the new mayor's perspective about the children's waiting in the cold is different than the former mayor and that played into his decision to close the schools today.
You are referring to compassion and understanding. Something Bloomberg and the OP lack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
The schools closed because the teacher's union wanted a day off. This had nothing to do with the snow. De Blasio is nothing more than a pawn of the public employee unions.
That's ok, Bloomberg was a pawn of the crooks on Wall Street. Don't be a sore loser.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:46 PM

18,364 posts, read 31,448,743 times
I didn't think the snow was that big of a deal. I went to work, the train was fine, so was the walk down 2 Avenues. We have had worse. Coming home was fine too, I left at 4pm today.

As far as school closings, that never bothered me as a parent, for it is "I" that decide's when my children were able to stay home because of weather conditions, no one else.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:59 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,163,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I didn't think the snow was that big of a deal. I went to work, the train was fine, so was the walk down 2 Avenues. We have had worse. Coming home was fine too, I left at 4pm today.

As far as school closings, that never bothered me as a parent, for it is "I" that decide's when my children were able to stay home because of weather conditions, no one else.
Your children are home schooled? Not quite sure what you mean since the mayor deciding is actually taking that choice away from you.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:01 PM

33,394 posts, read 46,819,654 times
Quote:
Not a bad idea.It should definitely be for cops,firemen,teachers and sanitation workers though.On top of the importance of keeping these departments running,I think these municipal workers should live among the people they serve.
At least with cops, I think community relations would greatly improve. When you take a 22 year old rookie from Rockville Centre and throw him in the South Bronx he's so out of touch it isn't funny.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-03-2014, 08:03 PM

33,394 posts, read 46,819,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It was like that and I remember going to school on some days that nobody had any business being outside. I got jumped pretty bad actually on one of those days. Also honestly those days were a waste. At least half the teachers weren't there.
Lol I was in school for the '92 Nor'easter.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-04-2014, 08:35 AM

9,239 posts, read 23,977,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
At least with cops, I think community relations would greatly improve. When you take a 22 year old rookie from Rockville Centre and throw him in the South Bronx he's so out of touch it isn't funny.
Same with a lot of my fellow teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City