Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 12:47 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillyDilly View Post
From 1980 to 1994, I lived in a tiny studio apartment in a crummy walkup a few blocks from Gramercy Park. Perhaps because I was young and stupid, I actually liked my humble little place.

In 1994, tired of battling with the landlord (who wanted to empty the building), I moved to another depressing walkup nearby. This time, it was a tiny one bedroom.

I disliked that gloomy apartment from the day I moved in. But I told myself it was "temporary," until I could afford a better place.

I lived there for the next 15 years. I never got used to it. And today? I have no fond memories and really don't miss it at all.

The moral: Even if your finances are limited, never settle for an apartment that you absolutely hate. Keep looking. You may have to live there far, far longer than you expect.
You are right. My one bedroom that I was in for almost eight years was small, and had it's share of problems. Caught two mice in there (well my cat did). Had other issues, but overall, I just liked it there, felt like home to me. Also rent was cheap and I had a friend living downstairs which made it more "homelike". I would still be there if my landlord didn't ask me to leave (due to her selling and divorcing her husband).

I just a bit annoyed because I feel my new landlord knew about this issue but didn't disclose it. I can tell by the way she is acting now, after I have brought it up. She did send an exterminator in, but her stories aren't matching up...first she said when she lived here she never saw them, then she said, only when she first moved in, then she said only by laundry room, then in bathroom, then in kitchen...I just don't trust her at all at this point. That's ok, at least she said she would let me out of lease with 60 days notice, if need be.

I did really like this place when I viewed it, but you never know what issues pop up until you move in for some reason. Isn't that a *****?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 02:04 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
its only ants, just seal up all and every crack you can find, it isn't that hard.

I sealed around the steam pipe 10 years ago when we had ants, and why an ant would want to come up to the 4th floor is beyond me, anyway, I sealed everything and no more un-welcome guests.

why are you having so many problems in your last few apartments? did you not really want to move? were you forced out? did you not really like the new apt but took it in a rush?

Old 01-05-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
its only ants, just seal up all and every crack you can find, it isn't that hard.

I sealed around the steam pipe 10 years ago when we had ants, and why an ant would want to come up to the 4th floor is beyond me, anyway, I sealed everything and no more un-welcome guests.

why are you having so many problems in your last few apartments? did you not really want to move? were you forced out? did you not really like the new apt but took it in a rush?
I don't know, I guess just bad luck. I was in a rush to take my last one, but not this one. I really loved this one when I first saw it.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:45 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
give it time, it takes a while to get used to something different.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:21 PM

916 posts, read 2,245,914 times
Maybe you are still missing that home you lived and loved for 8 years and haven't let go yet. I also miss
my old home in Ridgewood once a while because of all the memories and time spent there, even though it
was much smaller, and my family was much poorer then.

I actually found myself back in that small home I grow up in whenever I dream of home. It will take some
time for you to get used to the new environment, and with time and new memories you spent in the new
apartment, you will learn to accept and happy again in your new "home".

Old 01-05-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
Maybe you are still missing that home you lived and loved for 8 years and haven't let go yet. I also miss
my old home in Ridgewood once a while because of all the memories and time spent there, even though it
was much smaller, and my family was much poorer then.

I actually found myself back in that small home I grow up in whenever I dream of home. It will take some
time for you to get used to the new environment, and with time and new memories you spent in the new
apartment, you will learn to accept and happy again in your new "home".
This is amazing. Thank you!!!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:33 PM

6 posts, read 7,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Anyone ever feel like this? I just moved into a new place a week ago....and I just have been so sad since moving here. I know it takes time to adjust but we have had an ant issue since moving in....and I am just not feeling it here at all. I wasn't crazy about my last place but at least it felt like home in a way....

Just curious if anyone can relate to this?
three cloves of garlic in half gallon of water. sit for three days. put garlic water in spray bottle. spray water where ants like to play. problem solved.

depressed? join a gym, get out and enjoy life. you're in ny fukin city for christ sakes.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:11 PM

1,976 posts, read 2,351,951 times
Put up some Christmas lights in your apt. NYC is a great city, it is important to get out and enjoy it.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:11 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:

three cloves of garlic in half gallon of water. sit for three days. put
garlic water in spray bottle. spray water where ants like to play. problem
solved.
And then have a party and order pizza when everyone complains of the garlic smell blame the pizzeria.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:20 AM

424 posts, read 973,573 times
I agree with Jaydata, I think you miss home... Is this your first time being away from home? Are you from the west coast?

The reason I ask is NYC can be jarring culture shock for many west coasters and they may have trouble to the culture on the east coast. Let alone the winter cold. It takes a while to adjust anywhere after a move so give yourself a few months. Try to decorate your apartment with elements that remind you of home. It's interesting how much décor can transform even a small stark studio or an empty room that doesn't get much light. It will feel like your home rather than a shoebox where you just sleep in at night and than leave once you make it your own.

If ants are the only pest problem you have consider yourself lucky considering roaches and bed bugs are common in NYC. Buy some vinegar (ants hate vinegar) and spray sealing foam and start filling the cracks. When I had ants once I mixed a little water and vinegar and wipe down the areas I saw them; never saw them again in the apartment. For tackling that depressed feeling build up a social network of friends and acquaintances either through work, groups and volunteering which will make NYC feel much more like home. loneliness will just make you feel 10x worse.

If after a few months you still hate your apartment after making positive changes, it might be time to move- the space you come home to and the neighborhood it's in have a major impact on your quality of life so do a careful, well thought out search in advance to find a place in a neighborhood that you will you can come home to and be content living in. Moving out of a bad apartment or living situation in a rush without doing an informed search might be jumping out of the flames into the fire.

Last edited by ehanson; 01-09-2014 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: