Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 03:09 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

I live in NJ and I get to work in midtown faster than people that live in Queens and Brooklyn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 03:30 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,993,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am17 View Post
Hi, I'm new to posting, but I've been to this site many times. Yes, I'm an actress, please save any judgement to this but I do feel it is time for me to move out and start doing, as my current city is barren of work and I'm restless.

I'm hoping to work in/live nearby New York City after the summer of this year, moving from my current location, Cincinnati, OH. The thing is I'm not wealthy and I'm aware of the skyrocket prices for living within the actual city, so I'm really just in need of a nice but cheap apartment or tiny house I can inhabit in New York or even New Jersey so I can hop a bus or drive to the city for auditions/jobs when I must.

I don't have a full-time job, as I am a 20-year-old college student with a part-time, minimum wage job and I live at home supported by my parents. They would be doing the paying for said home until I am (hopefully) successful enough to start paying for myself.

I'm new and regrettably not very educated on real estate and home searching, and I know this may be an optimistic stretch for these areas, but basically, I'm looking for anything that's maybe less (or significantly less) than $1,000 per month. I'd also prefer these places not be more than 45 minutes from the city, if possible? (I hope this isn't too picky to add based on my budget, but a safe neighborhood/area would be a plus, and it would definitely please my parents.)

I will do my own research, but I do really need and appreciate any help. I'm welcome to any advice and always willing to learn.

Oh boy another 20 year old "ACTRESS" from Ohio-- Just what the city is lacking. Where did you get your vast training to make you an "ACTRESS"-- we actually have another word for these people here they are called "servers"-- just the fact that you are willing to take mommy and daddy's money to pursue your dream shows me the best thing for you is to stay in OHIO. I don't think you have what it takes to make it in a very tough tough business.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:35 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Pick-up copy of Backstage newspaper, there are always actor/performer situations looking for roommate adverts. Just be *VERY* careful to vet your choices carefully.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:05 PM

298 posts, read 707,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
Oh boy another 20 year old "ACTRESS" from Ohio-- Just what the city is lacking. Where did you get your vast training to make you an "ACTRESS"-- we actually have another word for these people here they are called "servers"-- just the fact that you are willing to take mommy and daddy's money to pursue your dream shows me the best thing for you is to stay in OHIO. I don't think you have what it takes to make it in a very tough tough business.
What were you doing at age 20 that amounted to anything? It's not like she's 30 with two kids like some people that want to move here.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:04 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballervision View Post
What were you doing at age 20 that amounted to anything? It's not like she's 30 with two kids like some people that want to move here.
What makes this poster's comments all the more ridiculous is that he mentions in another thread that he paid for his daughter to attend the musical theater program at NYU's Tisch School. I guess it's ok for him to pay for his daughter to live in NYC and study theater but it's not ok for another set of parents in OHIO to pay for their daughter to live for even one summer in NYC to get a feel for the theater field, broaden her horizons and learn about the industry.

It seems he enjoys coming on here to belittle other people and try to crush their dreams. Nice guy.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:16 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
Quote:
Get ready, you'll have plenty of pessimestic and hateful posts on here like this one. If it's your dream girlfriend... don't let these people deter you! You might hit some rough spots but it absolutely can be done.

I'd imagine this person would say you are all washed up at 25, so consider the source.

Trick is to keep debt low (or ideally just be debt-free). Don't pick expensive phone plans. Don't go out to eat too often. Read the weekly circulars for sales. And yes, don't be afraid to wait tables. I've waited tables in the past with many aspiring actors and actresses. Some made it big. Some went back home. But you wanna know what? We all paid our bills and got by in the meantime.

If you live with roommates you can get safe housing for much less than 1K per month. You are so young and with ambition. Ignore these a$$holes and get on the next train once you have a wad of cash.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 01-09-2014 at 05:25 PM..

Old 01-09-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballervision View Post

Actually I was in Vietnam--- and then I came back out and finished my BA degree before going onto my master's..... any more dumb questions.

I guess I just feel for the parents of this wanabee.

Old 01-09-2014, 06:54 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
I agree that the only thing you have to lose at your age is time, since it matters not if you work in Ohio or New York. You are unencumbered and can tolerate smaller living conditions and saving where possible to make your dream a reality. In fact, in some instances the drive, hunger, whatever you wish to call it, instills a super-human work ethic in an individual that helps them to commit to the path that they have set forth for themselves. Try it out, since your budgetary expectations are within the scope of reality in terms of roommate situations. Just keep your wits and focus about you as you look towards the future.

I have a friend whose brother wanted to be an actor, well still does, but had a good deal of family money on which to rely. While he went to school and training, and training, and training, and training, he has continued to explore throughout his young adulthood. In short, there was no impetus to expand his horizons, or do anything out of the norm, expecting the theater and movie roles to beat a path to his door, simply because he does not work to achieve them. Without that luxury upon which to fall back, you won't be prone to the party scene, and will be prone to keeping the focus on your craft, i.e., the drive within you to succeed can help you to overcome many of the challenges when compared to someone else who could be equally as talented, or even more, yet does not have the same inner fire. Setting out on your own to test the waters at age twenty is courageous, and is not a whim, because you respect the budgetary constrains that can help to make the transition a reality for you. I agree that you should see what you can achieve in the theater, since your posts do not read of a pie-in-the-sky attitude, i.e., looking for under $1k on a high floor on the UWS/Midtown West that is in a party-centric neighborhood and within a ten-minute walk or cab ride from the theaters. Rather, setting out looking for areas from which to commute, and explaining that you don't have experience with searching for housing, shows that you have commitment, since you will do what it takes to get close to the city -- and that speaks volumes! Keep that same mindset as you look for a place to live, and once you're in the city, as it will carry you far.

And, those who choose to help people on this forum by offering suggestions are generally quite knowledgeable about particular areas of the city/region, so you can get some perspectives on various neighborhoods. So, don't be discouraged, and ask as many questions as you need to as you progress through your search, since odds are someone around this forum can answer your question, or point you in the right direction.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-09-2014, 06:55 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Actually I was in Vietnam--- and then I came back out and finished my BA degree before going onto my master's..... any more dumb questions.

I guess I just feel for the parents of this wanabee.
If they want to spend their money to pay their daughter's rent, that's their prerogative. Many parents do that, even within the city/metro area, and have for a couple of generations -- it's nothing new.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 01-09-2014, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
If they want to spend their money to pay their daughter's rent, that's their prerogative. Many parents do that, even within the city/metro area, and have for a couple of generations -- it's nothing new.

You know I agree--- it is just that this poster came across as being ENTITLED and that is what got to me.
Read her original again and see if you don't agree.
Next she never answered as to what her training was or is--- there are too many polyanna's on these forums that say go for your dreams---I have seen far too many young girls think they can make it on Broadway and somebody has to give them a dose or reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City