Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:47 PM

3 posts, read 38,843 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new to posting, but I've been to this site many times. Yes, I'm an actress, please save any judgement to this but I do feel it is time for me to move out and start doing, as my current city is barren of work and I'm restless.

I'm hoping to work in/live nearby New York City after the summer of this year, moving from my current location, Cincinnati, OH. The thing is I'm not wealthy and I'm aware of the skyrocket prices for living within the actual city, so I'm really just in need of a nice but cheap apartment or tiny house I can inhabit in New York or even New Jersey so I can hop a bus or drive to the city for auditions/jobs when I must.

I don't have a full-time job, as I am a 20-year-old college student with a part-time, minimum wage job and I live at home supported by my parents. They would be doing the paying for said home until I am (hopefully) successful enough to start paying for myself.

I'm new and regrettably not very educated on real estate and home searching, and I know this may be an optimistic stretch for these areas, but basically, I'm looking for anything that's maybe less (or significantly less) than $1,000 per month. I'd also prefer these places not be more than 45 minutes from the city, if possible? (I hope this isn't too picky to add based on my budget, but a safe neighborhood/area would be a plus, and it would definitely please my parents.)

I will do my own research, but I do really need and appreciate any help. I'm welcome to any advice and always willing to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 10:10 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Your budget shouldn't be a problem, as long as you are talking about roommate situations, which IMO, you should be. There are safe places close to subways where you can still get a room for $700 or $800+ utilities. Leave the car at home in Ohio.

Are auditions generally in Midtown? If so, you could look in Queens, which is convenient to Midtown and generally cheaper than Brooklyn. As far as I know, there are many young actors living in Astoria, which would probably be a very good neighborhood for you if you can find a room that fits your budget (I think you can). Other Queens neighborhoods convenient to Midtown by subway, and probably cheaper than Astoria, are Sunnyside, Woodside, Jackson Heights, Rego Park, Forest Hills, Kew Gardens. Elmhurst can also be good value/cheap but it is even more immigrant-oriented than all the other places listed.

I think you would be happier living in a neighborhood with a subway, as opposed to a bus to the subway, but there are other even cheaper neighborhoods that are served by bus.

Familiarize yourself with the subway map on the MTA site, and also if you zoom into Google maps you can see where the subway stations are and which parts of Manhattan they lead to.

Good luck.

PS Here's a nice blog on Astoria. http://weheartastoria.com/

Old 01-08-2014, 10:37 PM

Thanks for replying so soon! And for the info.

Yes, after looking around, I too thought Astoria was very nice, very close, and definitely affordable but only if I had a roommate. I don't have any friends who want to move with me as far as I know, so roomie searching may be a new roadblock and a new experience for me, though I definitely prefer one if it means less to pay.

Old 01-08-2014, 10:53 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am17 View Post
Thanks for replying so soon! And for the info.

Yes, after looking around, I too thought Astoria was very nice, very close, and definitely affordable but only if I had a roommate. I don't have any friends who want to move with me as far as I know, so roomie searching may be a new roadblock and a new experience for me, though I definitely prefer one if it means less to pay.
What you do is look for already-established households where one roommate is going out of town for the summer, and you rent that person's room. This is how countless people do things in NY. Since you have plenty of time before your move, try networking on FB and see if you can connect with other young actors in NY beforehand. Maybe someone will know of something. Otherwise, there is always craigslist and Stephanie Diamond list.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:07 PM

20 posts, read 43,097 times
Before you make any decisions check out the safety maps on this forum. Some of the areas are a bit off, but it will give you a good idea.

NJ---the transit is going to be more than anywhere in NYC and anywhere nice within 45min is going to be costly.

SI--another bad commute. Cheapest, safest (once you get away from the Ferry area). But people hate the commute into Manhattan. No subway only a Ferry or Bridges (car, bus).

Brooklyn--be very careful about where you move to. Nice areas will be pricy. Need multiple roommates at that budget. certainly a roommate.

Queens--probably the best/safest/cheapest closest to Manhattan. Most of Astoria, Forest Hills.

Bronx--really only Pelham, Woodlawn, or Riverdale (long commute though and also $$$).

forgot about Manhattan--could try U.E.S., Inwood.

Last edited by RidingThat; 01-08-2014 at 11:48 PM..

Old 01-08-2014, 11:39 PM

Awesome, thanks!

Old 01-09-2014, 07:27 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,073,996 times
Union City, West New York, Gutenberg, Weehawken, NJ.
All are a relatively quick bus ride into the theater district (Port Authority Bus Terminal on 42nd St.)

Semi-fluency in Spanish a plus.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:44 AM

77 posts, read 133,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by am17 View Post
Hi, I'm new to posting, but I've been to this site many times. Yes, I'm an actress, please save any judgement to this but I do feel it is time for me to move out and start doing, as my current city is barren of work and I'm restless.

I'm hoping to work in/live nearby New York City after the summer of this year, moving from my current location, Cincinnati, OH. The thing is I'm not wealthy and I'm aware of the skyrocket prices for living within the actual city, so I'm really just in need of a nice but cheap apartment or tiny house I can inhabit in New York or even New Jersey so I can hop a bus or drive to the city for auditions/jobs when I must.

I don't have a full-time job, as I am a 20-year-old college student with a part-time, minimum wage job and I live at home supported by my parents. They would be doing the paying for said home until I am (hopefully) successful enough to start paying for myself.

I'm new and regrettably not very educated on real estate and home searching, and I know this may be an optimistic stretch for these areas, but basically, I'm looking for anything that's maybe less (or significantly less) than $1,000 per month. I'd also prefer these places not be more than 45 minutes from the city, if possible? (I hope this isn't too picky to add based on my budget, but a safe neighborhood/area would be a plus, and it would definitely please my parents.)

I will do my own research, but I do really need and appreciate any help. I'm welcome to any advice and always willing to learn.
Greetings!

Agreed, Manhattan on that budget would be quite difficult, though certainly not impossible with roommates - but you'll get much better quality of living in the outer boroughs.

I agree with a few others here that I'd rule out New Jersey. You'll spend an inordinate amount of your time and money commuting, and many of the more affordable parts of that state in close proximity to NYC are either 1) Not particularly safe, or 2) Oriented much more to families than to young professionals.

Areas in Queens that have been mentioned such as Astoria would be good places to start looking. I also have a number of friends in the arts/other creative-oriented fields who live in Bushwick, Brooklyn and love it.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:24 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingThat View Post
Before you make any decisions check out the safety maps on this forum. Some of the areas are a bit off, but it will give you a good idea.

Queens--probably the best/safest/cheapest closest to Manhattan. Most of Astoria, Forest Hills.
To the Queens list I would add Rego Park.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:02 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
For NNJ, look at Fort Lee as well since you can catch a bus across the George Washington Bridge and then transfer to the subway. It is a safe area and will be less expensive than Manhattan and trendier parts of the NNJ riverfront and ranges from middle-class to upper middle in terms of housing options.

Queens is a good bet, I agree. The NW Bronx is not bad, either, if you are considering Riverdale, parts of Kingsbridge, Van Cortlandt Village, though the 1 subway is a slow local, so you could take the express bus to Manhattan, but it is more expensive. You would also take the 2/3 express trains and transfer to the 1 so you need not ride it the entire route to get to/from Manhattan.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City