Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 11:23 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times

Advertisements

Firstly, if you believe politicians cannot force development or prevent development for that matter...then we will agree to disagree. Your opinion of whether Koch slated the area for gentrification is moot because it is a fact. Secondly...there has been huge changes amongst the hispanic and black populations in the Southern Bronx..if you don't believe see come see me and I will be happy to show you. Usually people who are driving by over the Major Deegan, or on a few streets cannot be relied upon at all for their opinion on a particular neighborhood. I can say I drove through BedStuy and saw no change...and I would be right...depending on where I drove...is that an accurate assessment? NOPE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 12:19 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
G-Dale...I already answered your question. Koch slated the area for gentrification...it was a known fact and the residents/businesses were to be removed....which is why the community fought back. Had zero to do with whether you believe anyone would live there...the city made it's decision and it was to move forward with it.

Shadwomassa...when you are driving around looking for "newcomers" (as the signature of a "hot spot")..what is it that you are looking for? Or rather who is it that you are looking for that is so prevalent in Bushwich/BedStuy but not the Southern Bronx?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You notice diversity in Bushwick and Bed Stuy now where in the past it wasn't really there. And this doesn't just mean white people. There is more diversity amongst the black and hispanic populations within themselves. Maybe you don't see that in the south Bronx yet.

I don't think a politician has an area slated for gentrification. Maybe they see the potential, but they can't force it.

Indeed. Cultural and subcultural varieties too. Which can be noticed if you observe clothing, musical tastes, styles, the types of establishments opening in a surrounding area. It's not all to do with ethnics, but sometimes it is, since you can't help notice that too.

About hotspots, new comers and well versed people from around the world all know about Bushwick, Williamsburg, Greenpoint, Bed Stuy, Crown Heights, Long Island City, Astoria, and a few others. It's all on blogs, twitter, and in the media. The popularity of these neighborhoods increased over the years.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:30 PM

Hmm...so because it is heavily marketed by realtors and developers as hot around the world...then it must be hot! Hey there are some whites moving in so clearly it's on an upswing! If those "hot" nabes you listed were becoming increasingly black middle class nabes....nobody would be noticing anything and nobody would be talking about it...much like those nice middle class black nabes in Queens we never hear anything about.

Harlem is another great example..it became increasingly more popular with black upper/middle class people, but yet nobody said a peep or "noticed any change." As soon as some token whites moved in and the NYTimes/realtors saw an opportunity to show white faces in front of a Harlem address, all of a sudden Harlem is "hot", changes are happening, and you "notice" lots of change!

ALL TOTAL BS. The Southern Bronx has shown immense cultural, subcultural, musical tastes, styles, and establishments opening and all the other things that you stated....but until there are enough whites to make it sellable to those "well versed people from around the world" you think so highly of, "nothing is changing."

The only people buying that BS are the suckers, I mean "well versed" people around the world!

Old 01-19-2014, 03:52 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,561,390 times
Quote:
Hmm...so because it is heavily marketed by realtors and developers as hot around the world...then it must be hot! Hey there are some whites moving in so clearly it's on an upswing! If those "hot" nabes you listed were becoming increasingly black middle class nabes....nobody would be noticing anything and nobody would be talking about it...much like those nice middle class black nabes in Queens we never hear anything about.

Harlem is another great example..it became increasingly more popular with black upper/middle class people, but yet nobody said a peep or "noticed any change." As soon as some token whites moved in and the NYTimes/realtors saw an opportunity to show white faces in front of a Harlem address, all of a sudden Harlem is "hot", changes are happening, and you "notice" lots of change!

ALL TOTAL BS. The Southern Bronx has shown immense cultural, subcultural, musical tastes, styles, and establishments opening and all the other things that you stated....but until there are enough whites to make it sellable to those "well versed people from around the world" you think so highly of, "nothing is changing."

The only people buying that BS are the suckers, I mean "well versed" people around the world!
*claps* We are on the same page when it comes to this subject. It's one of the things I absolutely hate about the gentrification that's been going on because it reinforces the idea that if some white people aren't taking notice, then nothing important is going on.

Last edited by njnyckid; 01-19-2014 at 04:10 PM..

Old 01-19-2014, 03:53 PM

That's pretty much how this whole scam works.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:02 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:

I am certainly not a hater on "white newcomers" but I must agree. We observed this process firsthand.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:09 PM

I am not hating on whites, blacks, or anyone...and never have. Just pointing out how this whole scam works.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:31 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Everyone wants to turn it all into race, whether your a bigot or just overly sensitive. Fact is people just want to now live in bed stuy and bushwick whereas in the past nobody did. Doesn't matter if it's a black middle class young professional female from southeast queens, a white hipster from Ohio or a gay hispanic couple from south Florida. It's now desirable because of multiple reasons such as proximity to different central business districts, transportation infrastructure in various directions, and having a walkable urban landscape that has come into fashion as of late. Not sure the south Bronx would have many of these amenities that many different types of people seek.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:35 PM

Actually who said nobody wanted to live in Bed Stuy in the past? From what I can tell it had people, LOTS of people, living there since it's founding. The neighborhood shrank during the 70s/80s like so many other nabes due to economic and social issues, however please state your source indicating "nobody wanted to live there."

You mean mainstream Americans, yuppies, the wealthy (of every color) did not want to live there. And now that those groups want to live there translates to "people want to live there." It has been desirable to the residents that have been living there, and always living there, for all the reasons you stated. The Southern Bronx has all of these things too..and here's news...there are lots of people who have been living in the Southern Bronx, and like it!

Crazy huh!

Old 01-19-2014, 05:11 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
When people in that part of Brooklyn had the means to move, they usually would. Maybe they got a house in eastern queens or out on Long Island. This move was considered an improvement to them and their children's quality of life. Crazy concept, huh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City