Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 02:27 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
How is LIC comparable to brownstone Brooklyn? LIC has long since attracted business tenants so the effects of business moving in is obvious. You have Citi, Jetblue, LGACC, UNFCU and previously, Fresh Direct operating from there. It's a business district.
Who was comparing it to brownstone Brooklyn? LIC is a neighborhood that has seen its residents average incomes increase drastically due to those moving in from elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 02:31 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Who was comparing it to brownstone Brooklyn? LIC is a neighborhood that has seen its residents average incomes increase drastically due to those moving in from elsewhere.
So why did you mention LIC???

Quote:
What if new richer people moved in due to additional residential developments without actually replacing the older and poorer inhabitants (e.g., LIC)? Revitalization?
Put it another way - there are many factors that drove the change in LIC and new richer people moving in (whether or not they displaced poorer residents) could arguably not be the dominant driver of this change. Those businesses in LIC lilkely helped defray the cost of the areas aesthetic improvements.

So to cut the chase, what happened in LIC is not an analogy for what is likely happening in ENY.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
So why did you mention LIC???
Because it fit in perfectly with the original definition provided and I had an example from a conversation a week ago with someone I know that moved there.

Old 01-17-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Put it another way - there are many factors that drove the change in LIC and new richer people moving in (whether or not they displaced poorer residents) could arguably not be the dominant driver of this change. Those businesses in LIC lilkely helped defray the cost of the areas aesthetic improvements.

So to cut the chase, what happened in LIC is not an analogy for what is likely happening in ENY.
Nothing is happening in ENY (south of Atlantic ave). So lets get that out of the way.

And if something did happen in ENY, my guess is that they will build new construction in the more industrial areas as a starting point (like in LIC).

Old 01-17-2014, 02:45 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:
Because it fit in perfectly with the original definition provided and I had an example from a conversation a week ago with someone I know that moved there.
Then whoever you talked to has probably not factored in the presence of large companies and their possible contribution to LIC's development. Like I said earlier, it's a business district.

As for ENY - Nothing is happening anywhere there. Everything that has been discussed so far in this thread is largely what-if and the point being if anywhere in ENY improved (IF), it would be as a result of gentrification - richer people moving in and displacing the poorer people. But yes to date nothing is going on there.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:17 PM

Perhaps an example of how revitalization turned into gentrification.

The Bushwick Initiative: Holistic Redevelopment or Urban Renewal Retrofit? - Brooklyn, NY : citynoise.org

Old 01-17-2014, 03:29 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
I don't think anyone is claiming that revitalization cannot turn into gentrification....we are just explaining the difference between the 2.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:34 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,879 times
Excluding Spring Creek/Starrett City (and it's gateway mall and newer residential properties), Cypress Hills and City Line (which improved in terms of safety and some family businesses). East New York did see newer developments on the housing front in the last 10 years. A lot of infill were added to the green space. It appears visually much better than what it was.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I don't think anyone is claiming that revitalization cannot turn into gentrification....we are just explaining the difference between the 2.
I know. I was just providing an example to support your statement regarding how it can transition from one to the other. And we have plenty of gentrification examples. I also provided LIC as a revitalization example. Any other examples for revitalization without gentrification as an aftermath? So far it seems like revitalization is simply just marketing for gentrification.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:44 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Look to the Bronx..the largest example of revitalization without gentrification...and specifically the Melrose neighborhood which has been literally rebuilt brick by brick. This is the latest and last mega development for the Melrose community as there are no other large vacant parcels left:

$345 million 'La Central' to add 1,000 units of affordable houing in Melrose - NY Daily News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City