Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 11:36 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianNYC92 View Post
I was shocked when Metro Card was first introduced in the late 90's. The technology was so old that other countries were using them in the 80's!

We should just get RFID cards like everyone else on the planet. Even the subway at Atlanta (the Martha Breeze card) has better technology than we do, and we're the supposed to be one of the top cities in the world?
NYC is great but to think we are the top for everything is just plain naive. Probably as naive as thinking everything in the USA is the best. Have you looked at our internet speeds compared to elsewhere in the world lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 11:38 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Why don't you talk to people before you arrogantly opine about them. Banks aren't interested in opening up checking accounts where there will be low balances, unless there is direct deposit. Not every employer does direct deposit, and many parts of the city lack sufficient bank branches.

If you live paycheck to paycheck because you make $500 a week and pay $1000 in rent there is really limited scope to save.

Get out more before you get on your soap box.

And letting MTA make debits from your bank account is a silly idea, unless you want every hacker in the world to also have access.

Banks are interested in opening accounts--period. Bankers have quotas to meet--they're not worried if you're going to keep $100 or $1000 but they'll offer you the package that best suits someone's needs. I do agree that some parts of the city don't have enough branches but that depends upon the bank. Some are every few blocks and others are miles away from each other. There are various reasons why people don't have checking or other accounts.

There needs to be various options to meet people's needs on how to purchase and refill their cards or whatever mechanism MTA plans to use. It's not just about New Yorkers--what about tourists who are here for a few days or a week and need to travel via public transportation? The concept is fine--it's all the specifics that MTA really should work on.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:42 AM

364 posts, read 708,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
NYC is great but to think we are the top for everything is just plain naive. Probably as naive as thinking everything in the USA is the best. Have you looked at our internet speeds compared to elsewhere in the world lately?
I agree with you, deep down I know NYC isn't THAT great. But hey, gotta support the city you live in, right?

Our voice/data services is terrible compared to Europe and Asia. I remember visiting a friend in Paris about 7 years ago and she told me her internet speed was 100MB download / 100MB upload, for her residential home! I pay approximately the same price for DSL services back in the US (5.0MB download / 1.5MB upload)

Old 01-10-2014, 11:42 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
The US has always been behind in payment systems and in networking. It amazes me that some walmarts still allow people to write a check at the cash register for their goods. That is completely INSANE. We are also still the last major industrialized country that uses magnetic strips on our credit cards. All the other countries have moved to smart chips. We're also one of the last hold outs for paper money, most countries now use a plastic type polymer material that won't rip. But we like the paper, just getting color other than green on that paper was a major feat.

On internet, the US is behind because of laws that favor networking monopolies. Lobbyists and back room deals have stacked the deck against the public and so the companies gouge us for every penny and skimp on major improvements:
BBC News - Why is broadband more expensive in the US?

Old 01-10-2014, 12:03 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,198 times
I would look forward to the MetroCard ending. God knows how many times I hit myself into the turnstile assuming that damn thing would read my card the first time I swipe it.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:28 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njnyckid View Post
I would look forward to the MetroCard ending. God knows how many times I hit myself into the turnstile assuming that damn thing would read my card the first time I swipe it.
Takes practice to know how to get the machine to accept it every time. And even then it f's up every once in a while. And that's assuming your card isn't scratched or bent in which case it can be almost useless.

Old 01-10-2014, 01:57 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
"Swipe again at the same turnstile"

Old 01-10-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

or...

"See agent"
"See agent"
"See agent"
"See agent"
"See agent"

Old 01-10-2014, 02:19 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
And of course the agent says he can do nothing gives you an envelope and says either mail your card in or waste half a day and go to 3 Stone Street.
In 3 months you might have a settlement of the issue.

The current technology sucks.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:22 PM

You got that right KK! And the current application information is they expect you to provide sometimes is unknown. It asks what the balance is. Umm, I don't know because the reader can't read the card. It asks what machine was the card purchased at. Again, the reader can't read the card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City