Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 06:15 PM

49 posts, read 300,322 times

Advertisements

thank you! i couldn't have said it better myself. i was born in harlem almost 50 yrs. ago & i've seen many changes in harlem. my first address was on e. 123rd st. i thought it was e. 124th st. but that was my 2nd address! i moved upstate w/my husband (hate it) and i'm moving back to EH Spring of '09 God willing. i remember when i was a kid we use to go to the dentist on E. 125th st by the metro north. i remember as a little kid seeing addicts shooting up & asking my older sister what they were doing & she said "taking their medicine", i kid you not. i'm taking in the early 1970's. i also remember seeing prostitutes with johns doing the nasty in abandoded door ways....so for everyone here reading my post HARLEM USA has come a very, very long way, both East Harlem & West Harlem. i think for many people who post the negative comments about Harlem, well, they're writing about what the media puts out. some guy on this post put a video from youtube on here. it's a video where these dudes are acting. yeah, is it rough in some spots, heck yeah but then again it's an urban environment. before i moved upstate i lived on e. 28th street & they were more prostitutes on park ave. then there were clients at the wee hours of the morning when i was catching the 6 train. and in my little sleeply town here in the hudson valley, we have the highest drug trafficking. 2 yrs ago an entire family was murdered, all drug related.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 5,610 times
f**K that harlem aint really that bad if u walk around anywhere in brooklyn or queens bronx it dont matta its all bad there all da same it ain bout racial thoughts or it bad because of the blacks spanish it dnt matta it about how the people grew up 2 be wich seems to most ghettos so not only is it bad but there all low lifes think it not on color it just life

Old 11-18-2008, 10:36 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Well, the "barrios" area has been called Spanish Harlem for a very long time.

I spent 10 days in NY a couple of months ago by myself, and spent one afternoon in Central Harlem just walking around and shooting pics of architecture and points of interest. I remember thinking later on that I was one of only a handful of whites the whole time I was there, but I found it more interesting than intimidating. The streets were clean enough, and I enjoyed the simpler design of the old buildings.

However, my inner senses did give me an alert. I had planned on returning later that night for The Apollo, and "something" told me not to attempt it alone at night. So I didn't.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:21 PM

396 posts, read 1,008,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy03 View Post
if you don't mind me asking...what makes it a bad area?
I think it's better than a lot of strips in the area, but still a lot of vacant/burnt/dilapidated buildings, lots of people begging, drug addicts galore near Lex, and proximity to many housing projects make it not great.

Old 11-18-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Well, the "barrios" area has been called Spanish Harlem for a very long time.

I spent 10 days in NY a couple of months ago by myself, and spent one afternoon in Central Harlem just walking around and shooting pics of architecture and points of interest. I remember thinking later on that I was one of only a handful of whites the whole time I was there, but I found it more interesting than intimidating. The streets were clean enough, and I enjoyed the simpler design of the old buildings.

However, my inner senses did give me an alert. I had planned on returning later that night for The Apollo, and "something" told me not to attempt it alone at night. So I didn't.
Well, that is really Central Harlem or "Black Harlem", no Spanish Harlem/East Harlem.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:49 AM

61 posts, read 233,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
I think it's better than a lot of strips in the area, but still a lot of vacant/burnt/dilapidated buildings, lots of people begging, drug addicts galore near Lex, and proximity to many housing projects make it not great.
Maybe this is where my definition of "bad" differs from most people. I don't care if there are junkies, or burnt out buildings, or a guy smoking a blunt standing in front of my house...I just care about violence. Am I going to get robbed. Am I going to get jumped. Am I going to have to worry about walking 6 blocks from the train to my house at night wearing a suit?

Old 11-20-2008, 08:33 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,060,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desco View Post
Maybe this is where my definition of "bad" differs from most people. I don't care if there are junkies, or burnt out buildings, or a guy smoking a blunt standing in front of my house...I just care about violence. Am I going to get robbed. Am I going to get jumped. Am I going to have to worry about walking 6 blocks from the train to my house at night wearing a suit?
Most of the robberies are committed by junkies,how else are they going to support their habit? You just contradicted yourself.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desco View Post
I beg to differ. You should care if there are junkies. The heroin addicts I don't mind as much, but the crackheads can be violent and will steal anything you can't bolt down. Take it from me. I had my apt. ransacked by crackheads and prtetty much lost everything. Don't be naive. When they are using or need a hit, they will do anything they can do to get it, believe that.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:53 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
A crackhead is capable of anything for a hit. Anything.

But thankfully the crack epidemic is over and there aren't that many crackheads anymore.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:17 PM

1 posts, read 5,332 times
How about 103, between park and lex. is it safer over there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City