Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 02:06 PM

294 posts, read 839,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Ownership gives a certain pride and sense of responsibility that a person may not have when renting.

The projects for the elderly should remain.

There should be something for the non-working law abiding poor, but they should be able to live in the areas further out from transportation, because they are not going to work every day.

I state this because so many working, disabled, disabled veterans are victims of certain bullying tactics. The non working may not have the same interest to keep the area safe and clean. There are working people paying $700 -$1000 or more that live in the projects. As opposed to people paying only $100 - a couple of hundred that don't work. If you have never worked or strived for anything in life, you have a different mind set.
Thats a good idea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 02:44 PM

3 posts, read 10,999 times
Default Book an appartment on 116st / 2ndav

Hello, I'm french, I'm white, I don't know at all NY and I plan to spend hollydays in NY this summer. I will be with my wife and my daughter. I've not so much money so I found intresting apprtment for renting in East Harlem on 116st / 2ndav.
I like to spend time to learn about peaople and not only about architecture, landscape,... so I like to book apprtment and not be in hotel.
I would like to be in Harlem because I heart a lot in france about "Harlem Renaissance" and good evolution of this place.
More that I like also a lot music : gospel, jazz, salsa, rumba,...

But..this blog is very intresting but let me a little scared about my choice...

What do you think about my idea to be on 116st/2nd av ?
Will it be very unsafe for me and my family ?
Do you think Its preferable I choose an other place ? or I can keep this option?
May you give me advices ?

Thanks a lot
Ti

Old 02-06-2009, 04:22 PM

124 posts, read 383,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpse View Post
Hello, I'm french, I'm white, I don't know at all NY and I plan to spend hollydays in NY this summer. I will be with my wife and my daughter. I've not so much money so I found intresting apprtment for renting in East Harlem on 116st / 2ndav.
I like to spend time to learn about peaople and not only about architecture, landscape,... so I like to book apprtment and not be in hotel.
I would like to be in Harlem because I heart a lot in france about "Harlem Renaissance" and good evolution of this place.
More that I like also a lot music : gospel, jazz, salsa, rumba,...

But..this blog is very intresting but let me a little scared about my choice...

What do you think about my idea to be on 116st/2nd av ?
Will it be very unsafe for me and my family ?
Do you think Its preferable I choose an other place ? or I can keep this option?
May you give me advices ?

Thanks a lot
Ti
Your not going to be in any danger, my friends sister lives on 117th and 1st and i know the area pretty well from visiting alot. But, its definatley a random spot to experience the "Harlem Renaissance". The area is not as dangerous as everyone makes it out to be but its kinda of a desolate area at night. Not much going on. Like others have said the "Renaissance" of which you speak is happening more in central and west harlem. But to me its not really a renaissance as it is rich people kicking poor people out of their neighborhood. But we could go tick for tack on that one.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:43 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,126,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrugglingMusician91 View Post
Your not going to be in any danger, my friends sister lives on 117th and 1st and i know the area pretty well from visiting alot. But, its definatley a random spot to experience the "Harlem Renaissance". The area is not as dangerous as everyone makes it out to be but its kinda of a desolate area at night. Not much going on. Like others have said the "Renaissance" of which you speak is happening more in central and west harlem. But to me its not really a renaissance as it is rich people kicking poor people out of their neighborhood. But we could go tick for tack on that one.
Musician,
The Harlem Renaissance was not a renaissance but rather "rich people kicking poor people out of their neighborhood" ? I think you have your renaissances mixed up.

Here is a history lesson.
Harlem Renaissance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-07-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Musician,
The Harlem Renaissance was not a renaissance but rather "rich people kicking poor people out of their neighborhood" ? I think you have your renaissances mixed up.

Here is a history lesson.
Harlem Renaissance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I was talking about the gentrification that they call the "renaissance" of Harlem today. The guy said he had heard alot about the harlem renaissance i figure he didnt mean the one in the twenties but the so called renaissance they say is happening now.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:26 AM

894 posts, read 2,381,048 times
what are the boundaries of spanish harlem? what do you guy think of the area east of garvey park? i hve been there and it seems very quiet

Old 02-07-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
what are the boundaries of spanish harlem? what do you guy think of the area east of garvey park? i hve been there and it seems very quiet

Well east of Marcus Garvey Park is East Harlem. Thats the divider (well 5th ave to be exact) but typically thats when spanish harlem begins. Its easier to look at it as East of the metro north tracks is spanish harlem.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 10,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogrant110 View Post
I have yet to find anyone living in East Harlem to have won an apt in any of these lotteries. I've lived in East Harlem 35 yrs and I know a lot of the long time residents and they're not winning in these so called lotteries.

I've done an address check on these buildings once the address is officially posted with the Post Office and the folks living in these apts are named Feinberg, Holtzman, Katzenburg, Chang, Horowitz, O'Reiley, etc. I don't see no JOHNSONs, JACKSONs, SANTIAGOs or RIVERAs.
I know two people who have won these lotteries. One of them just bought a place in Harlem actually. Despite the fact that she is Hatian, she has a very "American" sounding name.

I'm going to be moving to Harlem next week and I seriously can't wait! Right now, I'm in Bedstuy. Wow! What a difference!

Old 02-17-2009, 05:51 PM

807 posts, read 2,257,954 times
I just visited from Seattle and spent 4 days in Sugar Hill and have nothing but good things to say about it. Things look pretty seedy at night but everyone is friendly or indifferent at worst. And NO BUMS. ANYWHERE! I was under the impression that Harlem was this vast old ghetto that white people feared to tread upon. It has this really chill, deep culture that I really enjoyed.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:33 AM

7 posts, read 26,692 times
I’ve recently moved to East Harlem just a little over a year. This area has great potential for present real estate owners or new. This area reminds me of a location in Los Angeles, Echo Park. A neighborhood in transition of becoming a choice location. A bit shady nearer Lexington Ave & around 117thst., though not so bad. Closer to Pleasant Ave. you have very close top notch living choice for Manhattan. My wife & I are very interested in purchasing one of the buildings near Pleasant Ave, though the present owner will not concede. In any case, any new comers from small town into a huge diverse city, East Harlem is choice. I myself am from Yuba City (next to Marysville), CA.

Last edited by Wooohooohooo; 08-25-2009 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: new comers "form" small town /new comers "from" small town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City