Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 04:38 PM

7 posts, read 31,300 times

Advertisements

Hello! I haven't had the chance to read all the topic, i've read the first pages. I'm planning to go to NY city at the end of march and i could rent a nice apartment in Spanish Harlem. It's on the corner of 106th street and 3rd avenue. Is this area a quiet and safe?
Also, it is easy (and safe) to park on the street? ( I do not plan to use the car for the 4 days i will be there, just need to park it. )

As for the transportation, via subway is it quick to go midtown?

Thank you very much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 06:05 AM

154 posts, read 535,887 times
East Harlem is alot safer than it used to be, but it's still the hood. If you mind your own business and use your street smarts youll be fine.
And about the transportation part, i think it takes about 15(?) min with the the subway to go to midtown. I think other forum members could tell you more about the subway.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:07 PM

7 posts, read 31,300 times
Thank you! I haven't made up my mind yet, i'm still looking for something more central.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:24 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,352 times
I'm about to move into East Harlem (E.100st and 1st) in about a month. It's really not as bad as people WANT it to be. Coming from East New York, this place is pretty much decent. If you mind your business and go to and from your locations it will be like any other place in the city.

Some people, with no knowledge of the city whatsoever, think Midtown and 5th Ave is just heaven. But in reality NYC is the same everywhere. Throughout the FIVE boroughs you have your "safe" areas and you have your ghetto areas.

If people get out of the "visitor" mentality and gain some street smarts, anyone can survive here.

I've never (thank god) been robbed, mugged or felt unsafe anywhere in east harlem or Manhattan for that matter. However, Brownsville, BK I HONESTLY don't recommend at any cost. And I'm a black guy!

East Harlem is about to become one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the city in my opinion. I'm not too sure about Central Harlem though.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:42 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,779 times
That's like asking if Baghdad is really bad too. The answer is simply - YES.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:51 PM

^^^ Lol

What's bad to some people are actually not bad for others.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:12 AM

267 posts, read 1,033,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I'm about to move into East Harlem (E.100st and 1st) in about a month. It's really not as bad as people WANT it to be. Coming from East New York, this place is pretty much decent. If you mind your business and go to and from your locations it will be like any other place in the city.

Some people, with no knowledge of the city whatsoever, think Midtown and 5th Ave is just heaven. But in reality NYC is the same everywhere. Throughout the FIVE boroughs you have your "safe" areas and you have your ghetto areas.

If people get out of the "visitor" mentality and gain some street smarts, anyone can survive here.

I've never (thank god) been robbed, mugged or felt unsafe anywhere in east harlem or Manhattan for that matter. However, Brownsville, BK I HONESTLY don't recommend at any cost. And I'm a black guy!

East Harlem is about to become one of the most diverse neighborhoods in the city in my opinion. I'm not too sure about Central Harlem though.
From East New York to East Harlem should be an upgrade, although East Harlem is no where near the best. There are 2 luxury rentals at E100th st and 1st Ave, Aspen and River Crossing. Their rent may be cheaper because above 96th street.

Our family moved from Dyker Heights to East Harlem. All our relatives said NO WAY. It is unwise to move from a high end neighborhood to a low end area. Bla, Bla... Dyker Heights is clean, safe, great neighborhood. Affordable housing is our only reason to move here. We've settled down for 2 months now and so far so good. Keep our hope high and wish East Harlem can be as safe as other great neighborhood in the future.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah2k9 View Post
From East New York to East Harlem should be an upgrade, although East Harlem is no where near the best. There are 2 luxury rentals at E100th st and 1st Ave, Aspen and River Crossing. Their rent may be cheaper because above 96th street.

Our family moved from Dyker Heights to East Harlem. All our relatives said NO WAY. It is unwise to move from a high end neighborhood to a low end area. Bla, Bla... Dyker Heights is clean, safe, great neighborhood. Affordable housing is our only reason to move here. We've settled down for 2 months now and so far so good. Keep our hope high and wish East Harlem can be as safe as other great neighborhood in the future.
I completely agree. . .I'm reconsidering though. I actually want to move to Astoria and for the same price at River Crossing, I can get the same in Astoria. I love the diversity there (Astoria) better then East Harlem.

I'm thinking hard.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:48 PM

730 posts, read 2,053,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I completely agree. . .I'm reconsidering though. I actually want to move to Astoria and for the same price at River Crossing, I can get the same in Astoria. I love the diversity there (Astoria) better then East Harlem.

I'm thinking hard.
As much as Astoria sounds good, it might be more expensive than East Harlem since it's already hot in terms of the real estate market as opposed to Spanish Harlem, not to mention East Harlem is 15-20 minutes away from Midtown whereas Astoria can be the same time, however, there are more delays on the (N) and (7) lines in Queens than on the (6).

Old 03-16-2010, 10:30 AM

274 posts, read 855,440 times
I lived in East Harlem for a bit on 108th St. and really didn't mind it. Yes, it's kind of inconvenient. Yes, there are a lot of projects, and there is a higher crime rate than in other areas of Manhattan. However, I never really felt unsafe (and I lived across the street from two huge projects). My neighbors were friendly and there were always a lot of people on the street, which is a lot more comforting than, say, walking through the ghost town under the subway tracks around 125th St. on the west side at night. The most hassle I ever got was from a bunch of old guys in lawnchairs on 2nd Ave who hit on me when I came back from work.

That being said, I wouldn't want to raise a family or buy an apartment in the area, but you can get a lot for your money as a renter, and if you're smart enough to watch your back a little and not pull out wads of cash on the street, you'll probably be OK. Also, East Harlem is getting safer as the years go by. I noticed a lot of nice buildings going up around me while I was living there.

As far as restaurants go, there's a great bar/steakhouse called Ricardo's around 2nd Ave and 111th St. that is worth going to. Not much nightlife in general, but not the worst place I've ever lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City