Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 05:10 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
This is a birthday celebration and it really depends on the couple as to mode of transportation. If you are up for it you can do the public bus route but I know if I were taking my wife to NYC for a celebration I would not dare to go the M60 to N train route-- but again it depends on the people. Cheapest is not always best
IT would also depend on the budget. On a tight budget, I'd rather save money on transportation and spend it on nice restaurant or activity if it were my birthday. Of course, if money wasn't an issue, I also would not dare to go the M60 to N train route. That being said, a cab from LGA to midtown, is still cheaper than one from JFK. It's up to the OP's preference and budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 05:29 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
I agree with Kostellic, if you want the complete NYC experience, a hotel in Manhattan is your best bet. If you're on a budget though, and would rather save some money on the hotel and spend it doing other tourist stuff, you might want to consider checking for a hotel in LIC. You'd be a stop away from Manhattan, and pay much less per night.

That being said, I disagree with Kostellic regarding the airport of choice. LGA is closer to Manhattan, so while LGA doesn't have an airtrain, the M60, with a transfer to the N at AstoriaBlvd/31st is your cheapest quick way to Midtown. The whole ride will cost you $2.50 per person but if you aren't able to purchase a metro card at the terminal, you have to ask the bus driver for a transfer ticket (free.)

However, while neither NYC airport is particularly pleasant, JFK is the better of the two. JFK tends to have slightly higher prices, though.
As Chava mentioned, there is a new bus line as of September 2013 that is a dedicated bus from 74th St./Roosevelt station on the E/F/7/R/M line that goes directly from the subway station to LGA terminals with no stops on the local streets. It was not an option before September. I haven't taken it yet, but I think it sounds like a timesaver. Also, the fact that it's a dedicated bus for airport runs means there is probably more room for luggage.

It would probably pay to glance at the schedule beforehand. Sometimes it runs every 10 minutes and other times it's less frequent.
http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/q070cur.pdf

Old 01-10-2014, 05:37 PM

912 posts, read 1,131,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
As Chava mentioned, there is a new bus line as of September 2013 that is a dedicated bus from 74th St./Roosevelt station on the E/F/7/R/M line that goes directly from the subway station to LGA terminals with no stops on the local streets. It was not an option before September. I haven't taken it yet, but I think it sounds like a timesaver. Also, the fact that it's a dedicated bus for airport runs means there is probably more room for luggage.

It would probably pay to glance at the schedule beforehand. Sometimes it runs every 10 minutes and other times it's less frequent.
http://www.mta.info/busco/schedules/q070cur.pdf
The M60 now consists mostly of accordion buses, so outside the worse of rush hours, there should be plenty of space for luggage. I have not had the opportunity to take the new bus line, but I cannot imagine how much significantly faster it would be seeing as there's no good local route from the airport to the the 74th st station. The M60, on the other hand travels along Astoria Blvd, which is meant to handle heavy traffic seeing as it's the local spur of the GCP for trucks. I could be wrong, though, I'm only going off previous experience and assumptions.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:52 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,891 times
Quote:
IT would also depend on the budget. On a tight budget, I'd rather save money on transportation and spend it on nice restaurant or activity if it were my birthday. Of course, if money wasn't an issue, I also would not dare to go the M60 to N train route. That being said, a cab from LGA to midtown, is still cheaper than one from JFK. It's up to the OP's preference and budget.

It should be cheaper but the OP and others should know from LGA it is not a fixed fare but rather on the meter and so traffic dependent and traffic could make it more expensive,

Old 01-10-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
The M60 now consists mostly of accordion buses, so outside the worse of rush hours, there should be plenty of space for luggage. I have not had the opportunity to take the new bus line, but I cannot imagine how much significantly faster it would be seeing as there's no good local route from the airport to the the 74th st station. The M60, on the other hand travels along Astoria Blvd, which is meant to handle heavy traffic seeing as it's the local spur of the GCP for trucks. I could be wrong, though, I'm only going off previous experience and assumptions.
According to the Q70 schedule posted online, it's only supposed to be 9 minutes from the airport terminal to the 74th St. station. Again, I haven't tried it so I don't know if it's accurate.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:05 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,715,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
When you exit the airport just ask an employee where the city busses stop. The first bus that comes more than likely will connect with the 7 subway line where you can take an easy train ride into Midtown Manhattan. When you leave I reccomend taking the 7 train to Woodside 61st street where you can get on a bus to LaGuardia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I would suggest when they leave that they should take the 7 train from Times Square to 74th Street Station and transfer there to the Q70-Ltd express service bus to La Guardia Airport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
According to the Q70 schedule posted online, it's only supposed to be 9 minutes from the airport terminal to the 74th St. station. Again, I haven't tried it so I don't know if it's accurate.
You guys are crazy, the OP wanted to have a nice couples weekend, not a hard slog waiting for buses getting elbowed in the side tipping over suitcases and having to make multiple transfers and walking up and down multiple flights of stairs spending an entire morning or afternoon to get into midtown

Taxi is the preferred way, if you're looking to save money then an Airport shuttle bus/van is what you're looking for it's door to door and probably about half the cost of a cab. I'd drive you guys myself for free but you don't want to deal with my kids!!

Old 01-10-2014, 07:22 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You guys are crazy, the OP wanted to have a nice couples weekend, not a hard slog waiting for buses getting elbowed in the side tipping over suitcases and having to make multiple transfers and walking up and down multiple flights of stairs spending an entire morning or afternoon to get into midtown

Taxi is the preferred way, if you're looking to save money then an Airport shuttle bus/van is what you're looking for it's door to door and probably about half the cost of a cab. I'd drive you guys myself for free but you don't want to deal with my kids!!
I'd hardly call it a hard slog. And there is 1 transfer. From the bus to the subway.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post

Yeah, we got a little off topic about the time involved to take a bus from LGA to the subway when I am not sure OP was even asking that. I agree about taking a shuttle van or a cab. It's a vacation, after all. Live it up a little.

As for cheaper Manhattan hotels, I have a friend who gets great deals on Priceline, but she knows how to work that system. If I were going that route, I would read a lot of blogs and tripadvisor forums to learn how to get the best deals.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:34 PM

145 posts, read 663,992 times
Thanks everyone so much for the help awesome!!

Yes we would fly into LGA and won't just hope on a train as we aren't familiar with the city so definitely do a cab or car. I ran across Bentley Hotel tonight that looks fabulous with great views of the bridge, and not too badly priced at about $200 a night, figured we would spend about $1500 on hotel anyway and do want to stay in a nice one. Thoughts on that one?

As far as what we doing the normal touristy stuff Statue of Liberty, take the little cruise to see that South Street Seaport & Brooklyn Bridge, go to the Empire State Bldg, Top of the Tower, Rockefeller Center, see some of the Museums, the Chrysler Building, Grand Central Station, Central Park & take a carriage ride & the 911 Memorial of course

Do some shopping, visit Soho & China Town, I heard Gabay's Outlet, Century 21 & Loehmann's are stores not to miss as well as FAO Schwarz & Toys R Us just to see them of course and Macy's, Bloomingdale's, etc....

For Bars I want to go to 230 5th, Coyote Ugly and maybe this one -- Please Don’t Tell - Sign says Crib Dogs you enter thru a phone booth....113 St. Marks Pl Other suggestions? We aren't club people but like nice bars or things we shouldn't miss.

And you may think this is weird but we don't care about doing a Broadway show, really not our thing, and way too pricey rather spend that $200 shopping!!

Old 01-11-2014, 04:42 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyInRaleighNC View Post
Thanks everyone so much for the help awesome!!

As far as what we doing the normal touristy stuff Statue of Liberty, take the little cruise to see that South Street Seaport & Brooklyn Bridge, go to the Empire State Bldg, Top of the Tower, Rockefeller Center, see some of the Museums, the Chrysler Building, Grand Central Station, Central Park & take a carriage ride & the 911 Memorial of course

Do some shopping, visit Soho & China Town, I heard Gabay's Outlet, Century 21 & Loehmann's are stores not to miss as well as FAO Schwarz & Toys R Us just to see them of course and Macy's, Bloomingdale's, etc....

And you may think this is weird but we don't care about doing a Broadway show, really not our thing, and way too pricey rather spend that $200 shopping!!
Since your time is limited I suggest taking the free Staten Island ferry for a great photo opportunity of the Statue of Liberty instead of waiting in line and paying to take the Statue of Liberty ferry to the Liberty Island unless you are also planning on visiting the Ellis Island Immigration Museum (which is quite interesting in itself) which is part of the Statue Liberty ticket fare.

Another breakfast option for weekdays are buying food to go (coffee, tea, hot chocolate, bagels and donuts) from one of the numerous food carts around Manhattan.

As for museums I would recommend the Museum of the City of NY if you are interested in the history of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City