Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 03:04 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Tell me about it. Matter of fact, whoever qualifies should go sign up tomorrow. On their smartphone.

Realize this - we are insignificant specks to the few 1% who really run this country and control the money. So at the end of the day, who cares. I just have to worry about my family and how to legally put food on the table. Which I do. So as long as my deep freezer is full I sleep good. Who cares about who gets what. It ain't fair that my parents wasn't born rich. It ain't fair that somebody is getting food stamps and don't have to worry about where their food is coming from. Big deal.

People spend too much time analyzing the heck out of specks like it really makes a difference lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 03:38 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
People spend too much time analyzing the heck out of specks like it really makes a difference lol.
I'd also add that some people spend too much time feeling sorry for themselves.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:59 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,035,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Yes you're taking from me, and everyone else who pays taxes.
You're taking from the pot we all (tax-payers) chip in.

Yes, the pot I'VE contributed to for most of the last 32 years.

See, that's the other thing that's irritating about welfare recipients: People with your kind of attitude.

Once upon a time, people who had fallen on hard times, and needed to take from the collective pot we all contribute to, were humble and kept their head down.

Why would I? I've done nothing wrong.

Back then, people used the assistance as a temporary crutch that would help them get back on their feet.

Precisely what I am doing.

Now we got all these confrontational, rude, loud-mouths who think that because they paid taxes a few years in their working lives they think they can milk the system for life.

A few years? I've paid tens of thousands since I was 17 years old.

btw, I highly doubt most welfare recipients have made enough money on any single year to pay federal income tax. Some probably have, but most are probably part of the infamous 47% who receive tax credits and who don't pay any income tax.

So yea, you keep antagonizing people (like me) who are supportive of a strong safety net, and see how that works out for you.

How am I antagonizing you? Is it because I destroy your image of the lazy, uneducated welfare Mom? And is that some kind of threat?

Eventually your FS will be cut down to such a small amount that you won't have any other choice but to give up the luxury of having an expensive phone and data plan.
Again, if you tried to use any reading comprehension skills you might have, my parents pay for the phone.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Here's a tip. Jobs that pay more than the minimum wage you often get through social connections. Better jobs/career opportunities tend not to be well advertised in newspapers or on craigslist. You learn of them through people who have already done them.

As for moving, if you were to ever do it, having some sort of connections help there as well. What kinds of connections is of course for the person to work out.

You might also talk to a career counselor to see what kinds of jobs you can get with your current degree. Is getting another bachelors degree a wise decision when you could face the same problems with employment AFTER getting another BA? People with just BA or BS tend not to make much money. If degrees are needed, experts and professionals with advanced degrees tend to make more (MBAs, MDs JDs, Masters, PhdS, etc.) That doesn't mean you should get an advanced degree. A certificate or professional license MIGHT be ENOUGH. In some lines of work your EMPLOYER will sponsor you for the license.
Many of my friends aren't doing well either. It's bad all around. I'm on LinkedIn and we all pass info around when we get it, hoping someone will get a bite.

I was considering mammography or x-ray. But I think it's a lot of cash and I don't have that and can't take out any more loans. I have to do the research. I was also thinking of medical billing. I don't think that it pays very much, but I believe it may be steady work AND full-time. Again, I think training is a few bucks but probably a lot more manageable than mammo.

And, of course, I will always have hope that I can find Admin work, at least enough to re-train if I want to.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Presumably she's found a new job by then. She might end up having to take any job, even minimum wage (some money is better than no money, at least you can eat.). And truthfully minimum wage is more than food stamps so if you're living with your parents you'd be able to still keep your DATA plan.

And remember, I do work.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:14 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
And remember, I do work.
you don't have to explain anything to anybody on here. Get them food stamps and feed ya fam baby

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-15-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
We're having an online discussion, this isn't something that consumes my entire life (or I'm sure the much time of anyone else's here). I doubt I'm losing anything by concerning myself with political issues that affect me. Quite the opposite, ignoring them would be far worse.
How is this particular political issue directly affecting you life. Give me one example of how food stamps impacted your life in a negative way. I'll wait.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
How is this particular political issue directly affecting you life. Give me one example of how food stamps impacted your life in a negative way. I'll wait.
They might distort market prices.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
They might distort market prices.
Ok so give me an example of the last time you went to the store, and you said to yourself, those damn food stamps drove up the price of my favorite cereal! How would you even know?

I want to know specific examples of how food stamps are personally affecting people in a negative way. Nobody can give me an answer on that. The poor girl on here got a cell phone as a gift! A freaking gift! And people are bashing her.

Some of you need to look in the mirror and be ashamed! Nobody blames the government, and they're the ones pulling all the strings...and you puppets kneel and kiss those stars and stripes. And kiss them again and again and again! WAKE UP

Old 01-15-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Ok so give me an example of the last time you went to the store, and you said to yourself, those damn food stamps drove up the price of my favorite cereal! How would you even know?

I want to know specific examples of how food stamps are personally affecting people in a negative way. Nobody can give me an answer on that. The poor girl on here got a cell phone as a gift! A freaking gift! And people are bashing her.

Some of you need to look in the mirror and be ashamed! Nobody blames the government, and they're the ones pulling all the strings...and you puppets kneel and kiss those stars and stripes. And kiss them again and again and again! WAKE UP
First off I do not believe that food stamps should be cut, especially after an economic crises. All I'm saying is that it can very easily distort market prices when the GOVERNENT takes measures to increase demand. Of course they would also need to increase supply as well. But I don't know if I can trust the government to manage this, so I blame them. You know, them telling everyone what should be produced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City