U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 06:04 PM

3 posts, read 3,178 times

Advertisements

Hi.

I am not that Tech savvy, so please bear with me if my questions seem to simplistic.
Within 7 months of a given year, I am not at my New York City apartment.
I would like to scale down some of my monthly expenses.

Current Cable/Phone Expenses.
Paying over $100,00 per month for basic channels from Time Warner Cable.
Paying $45.00 per month for a land-line phone service.

My Goal is to:
Disconnect TWC basic channel service. Alternative will be to streamline online TV channels.
Disconnect my Lane-line and use a mobile(Tracphone) pay-as-you-go service.
Find a internet plan from an ISP provider having enough speed to stream 2 hours video movies and
online TV channels.

Currently I have free WIFI service in my Manhattan building with TWC as the ISP.
However the WIFI is extremely slow watching Youtube or HD movies online as it buffers considerably.
Surfing the internet and email are the most productive I can be without buffering. The Mbps speed allocated for a online connection is 54.0, but there are number of users accessing this WIFI connection in my building.
The download speed using the building's WIFI is .043 upload is 0.03.

So my questions are:
What would be the minimum amount of Mbps required for streaming online video+audio W/O the constant buffering?
What package plan would you suggest from any ISP provider servicing New York City, that would fit my requirements?
If I purchase a plan would the Mbps be dedicated to my laptop or shared?

Thanks.
TC
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 08:53 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,865,328 times
first question is does Verizon Fios provide service to your building ? If so changing over to them for everything could save you some money. If not then the only valid ISP is Time Warner. All the other "providers" are really just resellers of one of those services unless you have an antenna on your building.

When you talk about free WIFI from TW do you really mean that you have a wireless router and wireless service that is different than WIFI . If you have a router what is your speed if you connect your laptop directly with an ethernet cable coming out of the router but that is not WIFI when you go wireless within your apartment.

I have worked for both Verizon and Time Warner and would have to see exactly how you have it set up to advise you as to your options

Old 01-15-2014, 11:50 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,440,379 times
why don't you just cancel your services when you leave and then reinstate them when you come back?

Also, Paying separately for your cable and phone at that price is obnoxious. If you're stuck with TWC get a triple play combo. I pay 160 after taxes for phone cable and internet. This would alleviate all of your problems because it's also not a contract deal either so you're free to cancel anytime.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:07 PM

3 posts, read 3,178 times
@Bilmin.
I do not have control of the router. It is located in the Manager's office. Myself an the other tenants get free WIFI from their connection provided with a userid/password. I will check if FIOS is available in my area.

@skinnayyy
I do disconnect my phone/internet when I am away. I guess the bigger questions for me is why
should I be paying over $100.00 per month just for basic cable w/o any premium channels. Why pay $45.00 per month for a land-line when there are cheaper online Tel
providers. i.e. Magic Jack, Basic Talk, Vonage.

When I travel outside the U.S. for 6 months staying in various hotels, I surf online with a fast internet and get about 50% live USA channels online free incl some premium channels.
Because of slow internet speed and buffering, I cannot get that same experience in my building.

I agree with you paying $160.00 per month for triple play is more cheaper, than what I would be paying if I had to include internet cost with my current cable & phone expenses. But with a faster internet, I could eliminate my current Cable/land-line providers and utilize cheaper services online.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:21 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,440,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomx2 View Post
@Bilmin.
I do not have control of the router. It is located in the Manager's office. Myself an the other tenants get free WIFI from their connection provided with a userid/password. I will check if FIOS is available in my area.

@skinnayyy
I do disconnect my phone/internet when I am away. I guess the bigger questions for me is why
should I be paying over $100.00 per month just for basic cable w/o any premium channels. Why pay $45.00 per month for a land-line when there are cheaper online Tel

When I travel outside the U.S. for 6 months staying in various hotels, I surf online with a fast internet and get about 50% live USA channels online free incl some premium channels.
Because of slow internet speed and buffering, I cannot get that same experience in my building.

I agree with you paying $160.00 per month for triple play is more cheaper, than what I would be paying if I had to include internet cost with my current cable & phone expenses. But with a faster internet, I could eliminate my current Cable/land-line providers and utilize cheaper services online.
Just eliminate everything and do just an internet plan. I did that for about 6 months when I first moved here to save some money and did a really fast internet plan so I could stream and download whatever I wanted on however many devices with no slowdowns and that only ran me 50-60 a month. That seems like the best option for you to do.

Old 01-16-2014, 06:40 AM

24,139 posts, read 33,774,330 times
My Verizon FIOS Triple Play with "Extreme" TV, Digital Land Line, and 25 Mbps internet, Showtime and HBO, tax and multiroom DVR feeding 2 TV's is $116. It's a two year contract, after the initial 1 year deal expired.
I'm on the upper East side.

For a decent video feed you need about 3+ Mbps, maybe 5 for HD. At 1.5 Mbps (DSL) I was getting herky jerky you tube.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:07 AM

6,107 posts, read 6,602,301 times
I just have Earthlink through Time Warner. Less than $40/month and I don't have to pay to "rent" my router. I'm sure that will change eventually.

Old 01-16-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomx2 View Post
@Bilmin.

@skinnayyy

Ok I know these things are location specific. In general WiFi or wireless service is very dependent on the ambient noise from building to building and without proper speed on the internet doing things like downloads can be problematic.
As far as your Magic Jack, Basic Talk, Vonage question you should know that all of those services depend on EXISTING internet service and because yours is so bad you would have a real problem with any of these.

I see these questions all the time and what it comes down to is users thinking they know what they have and are paying for and they really don't.
I assume your building does not charge you for the arrangement you have with the WIFI but frankly you get what you pay for most of the time.
You seem like a serious user so I would look at either Verizon or Time Warner to see if in your building you can get your own triple play (tv-internet-phone) if that is what you want. Many people these days have only tv and internet relying on their cell phones only for voice services,

Old 01-16-2014, 03:03 PM

1,862 posts, read 4,023,297 times
I cut my Verizon Fios service which with cable was about $160 per month. I replaced it with service from RCN that is $34.99 per month and gets my 50mps down--more than enough to stream netflix or any other service.

I use an antennae to pick up broadcast HD channels.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I cut my Verizon Fios service which with cable was about $160 per month. I replaced it with service from RCN that is $34.99 per month and gets my 50mps down--more than enough to stream netflix or any other service.

I use an antennae to pick up broadcast HD channels.

Yes if RCN is available that is another option---I have also done work for them. The issue is one of a limited footprint since they are a fiber based technology the service must be offered in your building for you to get it. If it is not offered it likely will not be in the future.

All of this business is done on a transactional promotional basis. In other words when you first get it you
will probably get a low rate for a given period of time sometimes a year sometimes 2 years. After that initial period the rates will go up and you can switch to the other. The key is of all the main services offered which are offered in the OP's building.
The above example from barkomatic works if you don't want voice service and if you do not want premium channels--- so in looking at this question you ask---who can I get all of the services that I want for my needs from in one package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>