Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:05 AM

5,095 posts, read 4,953,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usul View Post
I feel this way about the 1 Train.
but if you're lucky enough to find a seat you're still screwed as they're by far the most uncomfortable seats of any train. They're just wide enough and close together to accommodate two kids or perhaps two anorexic adults. If you're of average build--man or woman--prepare to be shoved up against the people on either side of you as everyone is pancaked together in this horribly tight-knit non-ergonomic seating formula.
LOL...from what I heard from the engineers who designed these seats back in the time, they were to accommodate people of upper-medium build sizes. Apparently they failed to foresee how humans could grow in sizes unrestrictedly in the past 40 years also. But who could predict this obesity epidemic back then, even those historians who may have known the growth curve of humans in the past 5,000 years would have no clue of the explosion of how big humans can grow today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 08:18 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,228,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
LOL...from what I heard from the engineers who designed these seats back in the time, they were to accommodate people of upper-medium build sizes. Apparently they failed to foresee how humans could grow in sizes unrestrictedly in the past 40 years also. But who could predict this obesity epidemic back then, even those historians who may have known the growth curve of humans in the past 5,000 years would have no clue of the explosion of how big humans can grow today
I wish the MTA would charge you two fares if you end up taking more than 1 seat. I'm sick of someone who clearly doesn't fit in a seat sitting next to me with there fat hanging over me making it so uncomfortable I have to get up.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:28 PM

4 posts, read 7,225 times
Default Don't expect announcements to be detailed

I notice people get flash crazy when something goes wrong. I'll admit some of it is self inflicted by MTA but generally the system is simply too complex and overworked to expect it to run perfectly. Think about this. The Lexington Ave line alone has greater ridership numbers than the transit systems of San Francisco, Chicago and Boston COMBINED.

I think it's petty to complain "They don't tell us exactly what the reason for the delay is". Not too long ago I was in the Bronx riding on the 2 heading downtown. It started running very slow before 149th and 3rd Ave. "Delays ahead" were announced a few times, no more detail than that. Finally a strange announcement came that we were being switched to the Lexington line, which meant we suddenly became a 5 train. It's the first time I ever changed trains without getting off my seat. Some of you would get angry from not being told precisely what's happening. In my case I feel it was not necessary to announce a young man had jumped in front of the train ahead of us, as I found out later on. You should always have a plan B for all points along your route in case you need to bail from a full stoppage situation.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:47 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,675,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hershey48 View Post
These trains are usually the worse during rush hour. I remember when I used to work near Grand Central and had to take the 4. I used to hate the commute because the trains were always so packed. Sometimes I'd have to wait for the next train.
I take the 6 train home and sometimes in the mornings, I also have to wait for the next train. And the train after that. And the one after that...

Old 01-25-2014, 06:48 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,855,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distar97 View Post
I think it's petty to complain "They don't tell us exactly what the reason for the delay is". Not too long ago I was in the Bronx riding on the 2 heading downtown. It started running very slow before 149th and 3rd Ave. "Delays ahead" were announced a few times, no more detail than that. Finally a strange announcement came that we were being switched to the Lexington line, which meant we suddenly became a 5 train. It's the first time I ever changed trains without getting off my seat. Some of you would get angry from not being told precisely what's happening. In my case I feel it was not necessary to announce a young man had jumped in front of the train ahead of us, as I found out later on. You should always have a plan B for all points along your route in case you need to bail from a full stoppage situation.
Why is it impossible to state the cause of a delay? I've seen it done not a few times. It goes a long way in helping passengers decide if they want to switch to another train.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:02 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,991,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I wish the MTA would charge you two fares if you end up taking more than 1 seat. I'm sick of someone who clearly doesn't fit in a seat sitting next to me with there fat hanging over me making it so uncomfortable I have to get up.
I agree but I am more sick of young people sitting and playing games on their I phones while elderly women have to stand

Old 01-25-2014, 07:42 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,195,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Why is it impossible to state the cause of a delay? I've seen it done not a few times. It goes a long way in helping passengers decide if they want to switch to another train.
They state it all the time, but it's just lies. There's a few canned messages and they run them seemingly at random.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:04 AM

255 posts, read 475,443 times
Anytime you hear that there was a police investigation somewhere, AND trains are getting rerouted to seperate lines, someone got hit. A regular police investigation would just have trains bypass the station.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:30 AM

1,121 posts, read 6,551,442 times
^^^Cops could be searching for a suspect inside the tunnel requiring power to be removed or they can be responding to an incident on the train. Police investigation is not code for "someone got hit".^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
The train's crew will not know what is occurring unless they're told by their dispatchers. The "train traffic delay" message is a legitimate one. There's congestion due to whatever is going on down the line. Once the crew is told of what is going on, they will tell their passengers what is occurring and if it's something significant, any reroutes or alternate travel. Otherwise it's going to be the canned message.

Last edited by 009; 01-25-2014 at 09:43 AM..

Old 02-01-2014, 04:22 PM

22 posts, read 30,237 times
6 train is usually really owercrowded...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City