Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 02:42 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,310,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
So plentiful 99cent stores are a clear sign of a neighborhood in decline ?
No. It's a sign for the demand of products in general. And at a reasonable price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 03:54 PM

530 posts, read 1,359,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Exactly.

I personally am not a fan of the area quickly losing its former reputation as a working class Italian American hood, really its the Italians fault for leaving, not the Chinese for taking over.
I have noticed that Italian-Americans are extremely easy to be pushed out; even more than other white groups. Something i've always found interesting.. If they weren't so transient then they would still have most of their enclaves.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:29 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I have noticed that Italian-Americans are extremely easy to be pushed out; even more than other white groups. Something i've always found interesting.. If they weren't so transient then they would still have most of their enclaves.
Has nothing to do with being "transient", just that many Italian-Americans would rather be around their own kind, or at least white/European. When Bayridge, Bensonhurst, and other Brooklyn areas began to change many saw what was coming and moved house. Same on Staten Island where Italian Americans fled to New Jersey, PA, Florida, and North Carolina.

You see the same with many former Italian-American areas in places such as New Jersey and so forth.

The other thing is many Italian-Americans are very family orientated. Thus they tend to move in order to be close to family or relations. Finally many areas once had plenty of jobs that were dominated or at least well represented by Italian Americans. New York City's once bustling ports and manufacturing business sector supported large numbers of working class Italians that lived in areas from Greenwich Village, Little Italy, and much of South Brooklyn. Once those jobs dried up the old timers may have lingered, but their kids went elsewhere.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:38 PM

929 posts, read 1,659,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMassa View Post
So plentiful 99cent stores are a clear sign of a neighborhood in decline ? There's a lot in Canarsie also. Like back to back 99cent stores.
Canarsie probably isn't the poster child for a good neighborhood. I say that having grown up there.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:05 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,237,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
Not really. Take B'hurst for instance. A lot of the Italians who left, did so because the neighborhood began going downhill. Why is Dyker still majority-Italian? Chinese haven't been going there as much because they don't have cars. It's a white flight thing, not an "Italians were going to leave anyway".

You're definitely right that Chinese are a low-crime group in general, but they're also cliqueish and make others feel unwelcome. Ironic, as they're the newcomers to these hoods.

If you love dry cleaners, 99 cent stores, fruit markets, fish markets, and salons, by all means, move to a Chinese neighborhood... because you won't find much else. Including garbage cans. Rotting fish from new Chinese residents caused the local board to vote to remove them in Bensonhurst.

Sigh.
They left because Italian-Americans generally don't like living with other groups. If your gonna act like your keeping it real. Tell the real deal!

Old 01-19-2014, 08:09 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,688,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsRus View Post
Flatlands: The area of Flatlands from Utica Ave and Avenue N onwards, as if you were going the Opposite direction of kings plaza or marine park, is going downhill fast. I saw another thread talking about the same thing and I just wanted to tell people that that guy is right. I live in this area, and let me tell you 20 years from now this section of Flatlands will be terrible. There were 4 separate shootings on my BLOCK(literally block) in the past few years with none of the shootings being solved. Which resulted with 4 people dead. Just a few days ago there was another shooting a block away. All my childhood friends(I'm 20) ended up joining gangs, with different blood and crip sets being scattered all over the area. Several of the people I once called friends are dead or serving years in jail. You see people sellings drugs, usually cocaine or weed throughout the area daily. With all the gang members around the "neutrals"(kids not in gangs) grow fear and end up joining gangs themselves, it's an ongoing cycle I've seen over the years. Trust me Flatlands is failing( when the youths of today have kids, Flatlands is doomed). Also the section that I'm talking about is the gateway into Canarsie and East Flatbush, two other neighborhoods that are going downhill. I go to school with people from all 3 of these areas, kids are the future right? When these kids have there own kids there will be problems.
AVE N where Landi's meat market is in what area? Is ave N the demarkation line? BTW very nice stretch of stores along Ave N.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby BK View Post
If it were just going to happen anyway, then why is Bay Ridge still nearly entirely white? It has the trains that the Chinese desire. It's affordable. It has buses. It has extremely low crime. Sounds ideal.

Maybe because they have the wrong trains in Bay Ridge. The Chinese aren't on the "R" line stops yet. The Chinese have half of Sunset Park, but it's the "N" line part of the neighborhood in the East, not the "R" line part in the West that is based around 4th Avenue. Just as whites like to be around whites, Chinese like to be around Chinese. Bay Ridge is too far.

So the whites haven't left. It remains the same neighborhood it was 20 years ago, more-or-less. If the Chinese decide to take over Bay Ridge Avenue and make it an extension of Sunset Park, white flight will begin.
Bay Ridge is not entirely white? Have you traveled up to 5Th Ave around Ovington? Have you heard the joke, Are you in Bay Ridge or Beirut? BTW still a big fan of BR but would IMO nicer along 3rd Ave.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
A lot of former italian residents in those areas sold their houses when they had the opportunity and took the profit moving into bigger houses in the burbs. Now a few strangled italians who stayed on are having a difficult time in adapting to the new neighborhood dynamics and feel nostalgic of the good old italian days. It is understandable. But if you feel the need to vent your frustration, do not blame it all on the new comers. part of it is that the former residents there were too eager to move on and had no regrets of abandoning their old neighborhood. Whereas the jewish hood in boro park near these italian neighborhoods remain safe and sound to this day
I think a lot of frustration towards the Asians in general is their lack os assimilation. Look at Flushing and Bayside. They even had all their signs on the storefronts in some sort of asian dialect until the City Council forced them to also write it in english.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:59 AM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
I disagree. They are both extremely safe and affordable compared to other safe parts of the city. If I moved to Brooklyn those areas would likely be one of my top choices.

Anyway, my vote goes to Canarsie, Flatlands, and the area around Kings Plaza (As well as Kings Plaza itself).
The area around Kings Plaza? Marine Park is not going down hill.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-19-2014, 09:02 AM

16 posts, read 83,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
AVE N where Landi's meat market is in what area? Is ave N the demarkation line? BTW very nice stretch of stores along Ave N.
I'm talking from Utica park(Which is on Utica and Ave.N) onwards(as is you were going the opposite direction of kings plaza)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City