Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 08:22 AM

4 posts, read 15,700 times

Advertisements

I was born in New York and lived here my entire life. I got my first NYS ID when I was 18 and continued on with it until 2009...then I had a major breakdown. I was diagnosed with major depressive disorder and ADHD. I lost everything, I was homeless and lived at the Salvation Army for a while.

In that time, there was a lapse of over 2 years where I didn't do anything. I screwed up, I get it. I take responsibility for it. I rent a room with utilities included so I do not have a utility bill. I am an independent contractor and get hand written checks which a friend has helped me deposit in their account...and they won't do it anymore...and I don't blame them.

I can't open a bank account without a government ID, I can't get a government ID without the points needed, one of them is a bank statement. I applied for a passport, and even though I provided them with the necessary documents needed including an identifying witness they are giving me a hard time.

I can't get a supermarket check cashing card without a government ID, which is a point.

I DO have my social security card and birth certificate. I find it disgusting that If I had a gun permit, I could use that as 2 points. So a person with a gun has prefered treatment then someone with a birth certificate. If I went on welfare and didn't work I would be eligible, but I work for myself because that's all I can do now, I have checks sitting on my desk I can't cash, oh..and a check cashing place won't do anything without a government ID.

Bottom line I have been back and forth with this for over a year and it's reaching a point where if I do not have my government ID I'm going to lose my life because I can not cash checks. I know it sounds pathetic but it's the truth. This is really throwing me into a real state of high anxiety and worry, and it's affecting my lifestyle. Someone told me to get a fake ID, I DONT WANT TO DO THAT, I WANT TO OBEY THE LAW! I do not have a criminal record of any kind.

I am absolutely desperate, time is running out for me and the government is being very casual about a very desperate situation for me. I've tried every course of action that I can think of but they will not budge. Word of advice, don't let yourself fall into a state of depression because if you do and you lose everything, including your documents the government doesn't give a SH*T. They really don't. I was optimistic the first couple of months of trying, i was optomistic 6 months in, then 8 months, 10 months and now over a year. I'm facing losing everything for such a stupid and pathetic reason. It's ruining my life..I'm desperate for any suggestions. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 08:43 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
i don't know what you really need but have you tried getting a non drivers ID from the NY DMV? maybe your SSN and birth certificate might qualify you to get a ID I don't really know. call 212-645-5550 speak to a rep as to what you would need, a live person can help you

Old 01-18-2014, 08:49 AM

756 posts, read 2,278,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
i don't know what you really need but have you tried getting a non drivers ID from the NY DMV? maybe your SSN and birth certificate might qualify you to get a ID I don't really know. call 212-645-5550 speak to a rep as to what you would need, a live person can help you
They don't, that's the whole problem. A birth certificate counts as verification for date of birth, but not verification of name. Social security card counts as 2 points, but you need 4 to get an ID.

OP—what about a W-2 form, combined with a cancelled check? Each of those are worth 1 point, to give you the remaining 4.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:54 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
You can get a US passport by bringing to the passport office a witness who is a citizen or permanent resident, who has ID, and who has known you for at least two years. The passport works as ID, and can be used to get a NYS ID.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:56 AM

112 posts, read 352,449 times
Chris, I have no words of advice. I know how terrible an illness like depression can become, and how much of life it can rob you of. I hope you're now getting the help you need, and I wish you lots of luck on your journey towards a better, more fulfilling life.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
You can get a US passport by bringing to the passport office a witness who is a citizen or permanent resident, who has ID, and who has known you for at least two years. The passport works as ID, and can be used to get a NYS ID.
I brought an identifying witness, and the required secondary information, and they are asking me for a government ID, which is what is driving me insane. Get this to get that, or get that to get this.
\

Old 01-18-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumrare View Post
Chris, I have no words of advice. I know how terrible an illness like depression can become, and how much of life it can rob you of. I hope you're now getting the help you need, and I wish you lots of luck on your journey towards a better, more fulfilling life.
I am. I went in for a study that analyzes depression, got a therapist and all and I'm on meds. Fortunately my meds aren't that expensive since I don't have insurance. I've bettered my life, I've worked my ass off and got my life back, and I'm terrified of losing it again due to not having an ID. I'm still not giving up after this and I'm using every available resource I have, including NYC forums.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:24 AM

343 posts, read 1,092,500 times
@Chris, why dont you just go apply for welfare then? it sounds like there is no proof that you have income, so i dont see how you would be denied.
a notarized letter from where ever you rent this room from saying utilities are included, wouldn't count as a utility bill?

Old 01-18-2014, 10:26 AM

[quote=BellaLove;33073869]@Chris, why dont you just go apply for welfare then? it sounds like there is no proof that you have income, so i dont see how you would be denied.
a notarized letter from where ever you rent this room from saying utilities are included, wouldn't count as a utility bill?[/QU

Yeah, go on welfare only for them to accuse me of fraud? Not taking that chance, as I said I want to do this the right way. And no, I asked, they wont accept it.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:32 AM

343 posts, read 1,092,500 times
[quote=Chris44NYC;33073891]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLove View Post
@Chris, why dont you just go apply for welfare then? it sounds like there is no proof that you have income, so i dont see how you would be denied.
a notarized letter from where ever you rent this room from saying utilities are included, wouldn't count as a utility bill?[/QU

Yeah, go on welfare only for them to accuse me of fraud? Not taking that chance, as I said I want to do this the right way. And no, I asked, they wont accept it.
why would going on welfare count as fraud? there are people who work who have welfare, they just dont get as much aid as people who dont. and forgive me for sounding harsh in any way, but it seems like you have no other option. all you can do is apply, they will either deny you or give you aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City