Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 01:27 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times

Advertisements

Well. We have a few friends that still live in their "families" 3BR 1 Bath apartment where they grew up. They are both 50 years old now. While both parents are long gone..they were able to keep those apartments as they were on the lease at the time as adults when the last 2 parents (their moms) passed away. One was just a few years ago. The other at least 10 yrs since her mom passed away.

Now these were not affordable lottery apts though obviously. One is a small walk up type. The other is a cluster of high rises on the UES. They both pay VERY little rent for those 3 BR apts. They are both old run down ....need updating as they have not been touched since at least the 60's. But they keep them very clean & nicely decorated & live quite well in those apts. They all make quite a bit of money now too. And have for a long time. But pay very little rent in the neighborhood of $500-600 month. Now mind you that is for a very large 3 BR apt as they had a large family.

What really BOTHERS me is (while they do not do this) some people that keep these huge apts & pay very little. Get away with renting them out. I know in one case where the apt my friend has in the 90's off CPW there are a few people he knows in his building that also have large apts & pay very little to & have lived in same apt since at least the 70's as we always saw these people.

Well the parents too are long gone. The kids kept the apt. The older son lives there. All the other 3 kids moved on & out of NY. The older son is about 50 as well. Was born here in. But family is pretty much from Ecuador.

Now he has lots of people there (obviously here illegally) living in that apt with him...and I can pretty much guarantee they are not listed on that lease in any way as an occupant. Some are family from what we know. But he has at least 2 people that are NOT related to him renting the other 2 BR's from him & pay him cash. And they bring their illegal buddies with them to live in these rooms they rent too! The person renting those rooms out should stop that though. But he allows it as those "others" give him CASH too to sleep in those rooms...on the floor probably!

As they say money talks & CASH is king.They are as they say "packing " them in the rooms they rent.There is high turnover with those 2 rooms he rents out. My friend & others that live in that building deal with it best they can. They HAVE reported it several times over the years. But then they get threats. And nothing is ever done. We did try to help him get the media involved a few times successfully. Still they do nothing.

Last edited by loribell38; 12-19-2016 at 01:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
The level of entitlement truly is barf-worthy, but not at all shocking.
Totally agree! Disgusting. The more they are given...the more these people want & EXPECT to be handed to them on a silver platter. Once that sense of entitlement sets in they run with it & ask for more.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:43 PM

4,766 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Rent-stabilized tenants are allowed to have one roommate, but this situation seems out of control and illegal to me.

This is why landlords like key cards and security cameras. They can control who gets key cards, and can compare the photos to see who's coming in and out.

I am very pro-tenant, but not in a case where the tenant is clearly taking advantage.

Old 12-19-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Rent-stabilized tenants are allowed to have one roommate, but this situation seems out of control and illegal to me.

This is why landlords like key cards and security cameras. They can control who gets key cards, and can compare the photos to see who's coming in and out.

I am very pro-tenant, but not in a case where the tenant is clearly taking advantage.
Same here.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:19 PM

74 posts, read 131,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Same here.
That's funny because I live in a rent stabilized apartment and was never told about a one roommate rule. Not in the lease. Not in the regular notices my building files with the city. Did you just make that up or are you confusing rent stabilized with rent control?

Old 02-09-2017, 08:35 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,231,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post

What I don't like is when people receive affordable housing apts and then move in other people after the fact. I just don't think its fair.

Old 02-12-2017, 07:52 AM

57 posts, read 57,086 times
A building owner who is receiving tax credits must maintain a percentage of their apts affordable low income units.

If your income goes up above the limit the Building owner can not evict you or raise your rent to market rent; the owner must follow rent stabilization guide lines percentages when raising your rent.

Since now your apt does not meet the tax credit guide lines to stay in compliance with HUD'S HOME/LIHTC guide lines the owner must rent their next available equal size apt to a low income renter.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:02 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBTCHEESE View Post
A building owner who is receiving tax credits must maintain a percentage of their apts affordable low income units.

If your income goes up above the limit the Building owner can not evict you or raise your rent to market rent; the owner must follow rent stabilization guide lines percentages when raising your rent.

Since now your apt does not meet the tax credit guide lines to stay in compliance with HUD'S HOME/LIHTC guide lines the owner must rent their next available equal size apt to a low income renter.
Right. Good luck with enforcing that one.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:22 AM

57 posts, read 57,086 times
HUD enforces it.
That is what the the yearly tenant re certification is for.
To receive tax credits the building owner must show hud that they maintain the number of low income
apt rented or they loose their tax credits from the gov.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:32 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBTCHEESE View Post
HUD enforces it.
That is what the the yearly tenant re certification is for.
To receive tax credits the building owner must show hud that they maintain the number of low income
apt rented or they loose their tax credits from the gov.
Maybe in the past. Doubt there will be any enforcement of these types of things for the next 4 years ....or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: