Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2014, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,199 times

Advertisements

I will be going to college soon and I still have no idea what I want to major in. Eventually I realized the reason why I was so indecisive about my major, is because I have no interest in getting a conventional job. I have a big interest in becoming an entertainer(not specifying). I also do not want to major in the Fine Arts in fear of not being able to find a job. I am looking for a major that will get me a decent day job that will get me my own place and has a decent starting salary. So far I am considering accounting and economics. I would also consider an engineering major but I am not really good at math.Also I live in Long Island and I also plan on going to school in the city. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 10:49 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,633 times
I would suggest based on what you have said that you stay at home and work at the mall until you "find yourself". Unless of course that "entertainer" is becoming a stripper then we have lots of places you could apply to and you don't even need any college at all.

Old 08-09-2014, 12:43 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,659,624 times
I don't want to sound as harsh as Bilmin, but he's close to correct. Assuming that you're around 17, there's no reason for you to know your major at this point. That's fine. But I'm not getting any impression that you value academia in any way except as a route to a job, yet you're caught up in the romanticism of not wanting to be tied to a conventional job. So, essentially, you sound wildly unrealistic. For most "entertainer" jobs - singer, comedian, musician, dancer, for instance - you wouldn't necessarily need a college degree. But you'd either need talent or quite a lot of training/experience. Nothing in your post gives me the impression of any of that.

Assuming that your parents can afford college for you, and assuming that even though you seem to have scant interest in education for the sake of education, you still have decent grades (say, at least a B average), you might just want to go in taking general liberal arts courses and see what interests you in the first year or two. Curiously, engineering AND accounting AND economics would all require decent math, or at least arithmetic, so it's odd that you mentioned those three.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:57 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,747,813 times
All great advice above. Keep in mind your not supposed to know what you want to do at your age. Most people switch majors in college(i switched 3 times!!!) and many dont even work in their major. At the end of the day, you need to take some classes and get a better idea what you like. And major in what you are interested in. Don't just do a major because someone told you its a good major. You likely wont be passionate about it and will either not be very good or will change anyway. But do take classes in different areas and see what you like. Then, once you have a good idea go with that as your major. Dont worry about getting a job in NYC. you can get a job in NYC doing damn near anything. Focus on finding something you are good at and passionate about and you will find a job that you like. Oh and have fun while your at it. Its college!

Old 08-09-2014, 06:57 PM

898 posts, read 1,218,352 times
no major is safe. your talent is what counts. if you are good with numbers and math, you could try finance. any job can be cut or outsourced, well outside of being a doctor.

Old 08-09-2014, 07:47 PM

298 posts, read 706,899 times
Economics consistently is on the list of top majors with the best paid graduates a few years out... and very few of these graduates are economists.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:45 PM

102 posts, read 190,744 times
Accounting or Nursing seem the most safe majors to work in NYC.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:34 PM

31,902 posts, read 26,945,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farruko View Post
Accounting or Nursing seem the most safe majors to work in NYC.
No and no.

Accountants are being replaced by computer programs so companies and or individuals/businesses do not need to employ vast numbers any longer.

Currently there is a huge glut of RNs both graduate and experienced attempting to find full time work in NYC. Of the two the experienced (with a BSN) have better options those seasoned ADNs are still preferred over the latter (new grads). Of that lot those with a BSN are currently favoured hospitals if and when they hire from that pool at all. There are plenty of websites and or news reports about the "nursing shortage" that isn't.

Also keep in mind about fifteen hospitals have closed in NYC over the past decade or so and predictions of more to come.

As for the OP's original query it is important to understand that NYC is a global city. Businesses here recruit talent from all over the USA and world. That and persons pack up and move here not to mention those whom live in the surrounding Tri-State area willing to commute into the City for employment.

What all this means is that most all employment sectors here are very competitive. Choosing a college major is one thing, but you'll need to be at the top of your game to make that degree work for you in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City