Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 07:09 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
There were significant federal programs to cajole Southern Protestants to the Northeastern cities during the 1950s-1980s. The ruling class was looking to break the urban ethnic whites in their cohesive urban neighborhoods while mitigating the power of labor unions who were at the peak of their power. The ruling class tool of urban ethnic cleansing was the rural southern protestant who was the stick in the "carrot and stick" method used to cleanse the northeast cities of its ethnic enclaves. These southern sharecroppers had a two-fold mission; unleash a crime wave that was the stick that moved the ethnics out of the cities along with a providing a example of sexual degeneracy for all to follow. For the ethnics the cheap federally funded mortgages in the suburbs was the carrot.

While some of the rural southern protestants do remain in the northeastern cities many have now left now that their vocation here of ethnic cleansing is largely complete. The ruling class now looks to the homosexuals as it exemplar of sexual habits and no longer uses the southern sharecropper as its archetype in social engineering media. For the southern protestant there is not much going for them in the city. Ruling class support is waning.

For the future here is my analysis from the stoop; These southern sharecroppers are very accepting of mainstream culture and have adopted abortion (along with all other mainstream cultural sewage) as an acceptable practice so they are conducting their own self genocide here in the northern cities. Look for their population to continue to fall now that they largely retreated to the sunbelt and only a minority of their babies make it past the 2nd trimester.
This is very true. What you said lead to the eventual fall of Detroit. Sending protestant blacks up North helped break down the union labor jobs that the guildish ethnic whites depended on since they arrived to America during the Late 19th and early 20th century. Also factory union jobs moved to the right to work non union south.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:16 PM

475 posts, read 852,983 times
I have always found it odd the Ivy League elite had taken such an interest in music and art, most of the great composer didn't have more then a 6th grade education. Art should be open to all, an artist will tell you that there are certainly more lucrative professions, for every artist that becomes famous I can imagine the thousands that don't

Old 01-20-2014, 07:21 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
I have always found it odd the Ivy League elite had taken such an interest in music and art, most of the great composer didn't have more then a 6th grade education. Art should be open to all, an artist will tell you that there are certainly more lucrative professions, for every artist that becomes famous I can imagine the thousands that don't
Agreed.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:23 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I would like to add ditto for Boston and SF. Four of these cities attract to many transient folks and many are culturally bland not because of their ethnic background but because of their continuation of college lifestyle/fratboy/fratgirl life style. Most of these transient folks want to build up their career repertoire on the resume and when the time is come most will move out. Actually where I work I know of two Transplants who are done with NYC and want to move to somewhere more easy going and not so competitive. They asked me about New Orleans since I visited that city for a week. New Orleans is one of the fastest growing cities in America thanks to Katrina plenty of boom is going on. As for New York City. NYC needs to become an aspirational city for all its of residents and not for a select few people. The city is becoming increasingly unaffordable, education, rent, mortgage, healthcare, taxes will all continue to go up while wages stagnate decline and for a select few might rise a bit. The city needs to be aspirational. Art for example should not be entitled for the rich and wealthy, same for music venues like Opera. People of all races and classes should have access to many art institutions, also these instutittions needs to shake off its elitism and shabby. If the city was more aspirational the city would have more folks like Bronx native Neil Tyson De Grasse who is African American and the head Astronomy of the National History Museum. I have great respect for this guy.

Neil deGrasse Tyson on the New Cosmos - YouTube

Another thing is the main culprit of African Americans but also Americans as a whole is the breakdown of the family unit. Two parent households are very uncommon in NYC, but also becoming very uncommon across the American landscape. Visit your average Bronx neighborhood or even Brooklyn neighborhood and you get what I mean. THis is not good for youth development and also creates plenty of poverty as well unless safety nets such as child support or welfare are not established to support mother and child. Also the breakdown of the family unit helps create generational poverty, a cycle of deprivation which is very viewable in the African American people.
I think you're living in a fantasy. If New Orleans and all these distant cities in the South were so fantastic, why don't you go? I don't buy its because your love your family here so much. Or that you're so afraid to tell people you're moving.

The fact is just moving to a city in the South in NYC with nothing lined up will leave you out in the street. Do you have friends or family willing to temporarily relocate you? Do you have lots of money saved up? Do you have a job transfer or job offer in NO? Or do you have acceptance into a grad program there?

Without some of those things lined up just moving to NO or any other place will likely put you out in the streets.

But if you do stick it out in NYC, why all the constant complaining? Why not work on moving up socioeconomically? Instead of hating wealthy people, why not learn from them how they made their money?

It seems like a lot of the "poor" people in NYC are miserable, but too lazy to be responsible to create change in their lives. But without chance, you'll stay right where you are financially regardless of whether you stay or leave NYC.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:41 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,142 times
Quote:
I would like to add ditto for Boston and SF. Four of these cities attract to many transient folks and many are culturally bland not because of their ethnic background but because of their continuation of college lifestyle/fratboy/fratgirl life style. Most of these transient folks want to build up their career repertoire on the resume and when the time is come most will move out. Actually where I work I know of two Transplants who are done with NYC and want to move to somewhere more easy going and not so competitive. They asked me about New Orleans since I visited that city for a week. New Orleans is one of the fastest growing cities in America thanks to Katrina plenty of boom is going on. As for New York City. NYC needs to become an aspirational city for all its of residents and not for a select few people. The city is becoming increasingly unaffordable, education, rent, mortgage, healthcare, taxes will all continue to go up while wages stagnate decline and for a select few might rise a bit. The city needs to be aspirational. Art for example should not be entitled for the rich and wealthy, same for music venues like Opera. People of all races and classes should have access to many art institutions, also these instutittions needs to shake off its elitism and shabby. If the city was more aspirational the city would have more folks like Bronx native Neil Tyson De Grasse who is African American and the head Astronomy of the National History Museum. I have great respect for this guy.

Another thing is the main culprit of African Americans but also Americans as a whole is the breakdown of the family unit. Two parent households are very uncommon in NYC, but also becoming very uncommon across the American landscape. Visit your average Bronx neighborhood or even Brooklyn neighborhood and you get what I mean. THis is not good for youth development and also creates plenty of poverty as well unless safety nets such as child support or welfare are not established to support mother and child. Also the breakdown of the family unit helps create generational poverty, a cycle of deprivation which is very viewable in the African American people.
Tyson's mother was a gerontologist and his father was a sociologist. This is not the case for the average black child in New York City, and I doubt even for the average child in the city in general.

I'm certain his parents set good examples for him and had an impact on him intellectually.

As for art and cultural institutions people simply go where they can afford, or have an interest in. I think you can not make a lot of money and still surround your child with books, arts, and the opera for instance. Now the QUALITY may not be as great but it can be done.

The two parent household arguments is veritable. But I believe it involves other factors. Do the parents display valuable and exemplary behavior for their children? Do they make sacrifices? How do they discipline?

I know children who had both parents in the household...and most turned out fine but others had some problems, while on the other hand those who grew up in single parent homes actually did very well for themselves while others suffered. I still think it depends.

But overall children who grow up in two parent households tend to turn out better as far as psychologically, socially, etc. But it still depends.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:46 PM

475 posts, read 852,983 times
Here in my area of Va we're about 70 miles from DC and up there all the museums are free

Old 01-20-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
Here in my area of Va we're about 70 miles from DC and up there all the museums are free
People say the opera and museums cost money. Which I don't believe is entirely true.

But I can say that many poor, working people may not have an interest in museums, the opera, and certain arts for instance.

People simply invest their time and money on what interests them.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:00 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
People say the opera and museums cost money. Which I don't believe is entirely true.

But I can say that many poor, working people may not have an interest in museums, the opera, and certain arts for instance.

People simply invest their time and money on what interests them.
Not that many well to do people spend much time at the opera either, and I doubt wealthy regular New York City residents spend much time at the museum. Tourists go a lot, for starters. Or people take their children. Once you've seen those exhibits a few times what else is there to see? Ditto the zoo. Another reason to go is if you're doing academic research on something in the museum. But this doesn't translate into large numbers of people needing to go to the museum on a regular basis.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:16 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:

I agree. I think that this was touched on earlier, but "back in the day" the African American and Hispanic family unit was intact. Very often the mother stayed at home and the father worked. Parents demanded accountability (i.e. "if you're not going to go to college, then you're gonna work".) Of course those days are long gone, but somewhere, somehow the poverty station became a generational thing..probably when the family broke down.

I admit that I will never truly understand generational poverty. I truly believe that each proceeding generation should move up the ladder, not freefall down and stay down. Not here. America doesn't have a caste system, which brutally keeps a person in their place. You do have the opportunity to, at the very least, get out of public housing..or, if you can't get out, make sure your children get out. Having more children than you can handle, possessing no really employable skills, etc., no further training beyond high school... those are all things that you, personally, are responsible for. You don't need to aspire to be a CEO, but hell...aspire to more than someone asking "How do I get into NYCHA"??

It's also hard for me to understand generational poverty because I was blessed to have been born into a family of hard workers and survivalists. Not one of my family members has ever lived in public housing. They bettered themselves and didn't let life kick them in the face. Inspiration for my generation. My father came from another country...and I've visited his home country enough to know what poverty really looked like. There was no middle class. That is why, if you're lucky, you can go to a place like America where you can further your education and get a good job and help out your family in the "old country" or retire there..only this time instead of living in a cramped apartment, you'll have a nice house with a tiled roof and city amenities.

I'm digressing here...but I feel for people who are poor and working. I wholeheartedly support people trying to break the cycle..i.e. I've donated suits/clothes and such. But I do not support people who are content to just flatline and live on the dole. Can't..sorry.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Not that many well to do people spend much time at the opera either, and I doubt wealthy regular New York City residents spend much time at the museum. Tourists go a lot, for starters. Or people take their children. Once you've seen those exhibits a few times what else is there to see? Ditto the zoo. Another reason to go is if you're doing academic research on something in the museum. But this doesn't translate into large numbers of people needing to go to the museum on a regular basis.
As far as prices go, I'd assume say Broadway shows, the opera, and museums would be more accessible to those from "well to do" backgrounds.

But your right. I think people have misconceptions that people with a lot of money are interested in the opera, museums, etc. but for the most part they probably aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City