Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 11:24 AM

530 posts, read 1,359,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Blacks in LA don't chose to live among their own. LA, like NYC, is an expensive city. You certainly can live in the safe, white parts of town if you're making a lot of money. If you have a working class job or are otherwise low income most likely all you can afford is a bad neighborhood.
I disagree, there are areas in LA like Ladera Heights and View Park-Windsor Hills which are affluent, expensive and over 75% black. They weren't "pushed into" those areas since they clearly could've afforded most other areas. They made the choice to live there and rightfully so.

You may have not heard of those areas and that's understandable b/c society rather ignore areas like those and only focus on the Inglewoods, the Brownsvilles and the Detroits.

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 01-22-2014 at 11:38 AM..

Old 01-22-2014, 11:52 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,023,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I disagree, there are areas in LA like Ladera Heights and View Park-Windsor Hills which are affluent, expensive and over 75% black. They weren't "pushed into" those areas since they clearly could've afforded most other areas. They made the choice to live there and rightfully so.

You may have not heard of those areas and that's understandable b/c society rather ignore areas like those and only focus on the Inglewoods, the Brownsvilles and the Detroits.
It's what makes many feel good about themselves, especially when it comes to the NYC forum.

Like Sobro said, all of these threads come down to focusing on the poor when the real enemy are the multimillion dollar corporations lowering wages and sending America back to what it was pre-WW2.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:54 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:

One could say that in New York you have middle class Black neighborhoods like Cambria Heights where many Blacks are homeowners and have cars. Its true. You can find middle class neighborhoods around the country.

It doesn't change the fact the most desirable parts of any city are PREDOMINATELY WHITE and wealthy.

Its a national issue, not a NYC versus the South versus LA issue. You'll find this ALL OVER the country, and there is no place you can move to where you won't find it. Disproportionately, wealthier and nicer and safer areas are predominately white. That doesn't mean all white people are well off, or that all non whites are poor.

But we are talking about proportions, and the situation is what it is. I think its a sensitive issue and many people get offended when the truth is pointed out.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:59 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
One only has to look at what Clinton has pointed out in realities of poverty to see. That is that urban areas get 80% of funding to fight poverty while having 20% of poverty.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:01 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
it's like asking an ethiopian to move to angola.
no one wants to move to a different culture if
they don't want to.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:20 PM

530 posts, read 1,359,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
One could say that in New York you have middle class Black neighborhoods like Cambria Heights where many Blacks are homeowners and have cars. Its true. You can find middle class neighborhoods around the country.

It doesn't change the fact the most desirable parts of any city are PREDOMINATELY WHITE and wealthy.

Its a national issue, not a NYC versus the South versus LA issue. You'll find this ALL OVER the country, and there is no place you can move to where you won't find it. Disproportionately, wealthier and nicer and safer areas are predominately white. That doesn't mean all white people are well off, or that all non whites are poor.

But we are talking about proportions, and the situation is what it is. I think its a sensitive issue and many people get offended when the truth is pointed out.
I definitely agree that the overwhelming vast majority of well-off areas in the US are white. There's no doubt about that and anybody who denies that is an idiot!

BUT in my post I was only responding to the point that you made stating "Blacks in LA don't choose to live among their own". That was a blanket statement, which is untrue in the case of LA. There are actually not that many Blacks in LA compared to most major American cities but the areas that have the highest concentrations of blacks are actually high-income.

However, don't get me wrong. There is definitely a lot of black poverty in LA as well.

To reiterate my point again, some blacks in LA actually do chose to live among "their own".

Old 01-22-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I definitely agree that the overwhelming vast majority of well-off areas in the US are white. There's no doubt about that and anybody who denies that is an idiot!

BUT in my post I was only responding to the point that you made stating "Blacks in LA don't choose to live among their own". That was a blanket statement, which is untrue in the case of LA. There are actually not that many Blacks in LA compared to most major American cities but the areas that have the highest concentrations of blacks are actually high-income.
This is very true. Depending on where you are, you can go days without seeing a black person.

Quote:
To reiterate my point again, some blacks in LA actually do chose to live among "their own".
Yep and it's completely fine to live that way if it's your CHOICE to do that.

I don't want to. When you separate yourself from other groups and cultures, you get the type of posts you find on this forum. Stupid, ignorant, embarrassing and just plain DUMB.

Some of what people post on here is just too stupid to be real.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:45 PM

blacks living amongst their own is normal.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
blacks living amongst their own is normal.
Who says?

Why does it have to be in a country as diverse as this one?

Once upon a time all the ethnic white groups separated themselves too, but when they got a bit of money, they all moved into the same neighborhoods and declared themselves "white". LOL

Again, if you "choose" to do it, because it's what you WANT to do, then that's fine. It's only a problem if you're being involuntarily directed to other places or straight out lied to, because they don't want you in their buildings or home.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:18 PM

^ I said it's normal. I didn't say you couldn't go
live in the white neighborhoods if you want,
plus some neighborhoods are already normally
diverse and you could live there also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City