Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 04:30 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,983,155 times

Advertisements

I can not believe this thread is still going on--

Old 01-22-2014, 04:55 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,814,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
I definitely agree that the overwhelming vast majority of well-off areas in the US are white. There's no doubt about that and anybody who denies that is an idiot!

BUT in my post I was only responding to the point that you made stating "Blacks in LA don't choose to live among their own". That was a blanket statement, which is untrue in the case of LA. There are actually not that many Blacks in LA compared to most major American cities but the areas that have the highest concentrations of blacks are actually high-income.

However, don't get me wrong. There is definitely a lot of black poverty in LA as well.

To reiterate my point again, some blacks in LA actually do chose to live among "their own".
Hmmm, you forget South Central, Compton, Inglewood, etc. High percentages of Blacks, the highest in Los Angeles and they are quite GHETTO.

The high income parts of Los Angeles are predominately white, as are the major high paying professions in Los Angeles.

Los Angeles wouldn't have had issues with race riots and other things if the Black communities there were so well off. The Blacks who chose to live among their own mainly because they can't afford the NICER parts of Los Angeles. The same pattern in NY and in other areas. More diverse neighborhoods also tend to be more convenient to jobs or other things and therefore more expensive.

And again, that is a national issue.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:28 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,983,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
^ I said it's normal. I didn't say you couldn't go
live in the white neighborhoods if you want,
plus some neighborhoods are already normally
diverse and you could live there also.
I would prefer a diverse neighborhood over one that's dominated by one particular group or culture.

Homogenous communities are IGNORANT communities. These are the same people that will ask people of other groups extremely stupid questions or "assume" things from what they see on TV or in the media.

Like many posters in this thread.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:49 PM

530 posts, read 1,352,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Hmmm, you forget South Central, Compton, Inglewood, etc. High percentages of Blacks, the highest in Los Angeles and they are quite GHETTO.
Incorrect.

South Central and Compton are not predominately black anymore, the majority group is Hispanics. Yes, some parts of South Central still have above-avg concentrations of blacks compared to the rest of the county but few areas over there are majority black.

These are all the black neighborhoods in Los Angeles: (65% black or more)
1. View Park-Windsor Hills:
- 87% black
- Household income: $81k (high-income for LA county&city)

2. Gramercy Park:
- 86% black
- Household income: $56k (average-income for LA county&city)

3. Leimert Park:
- 80% black
- Household income: $46k (average-income for LA city)

4. Manchester Square:
- 79% black
- $46k (average-income for LA city)

5. Baldwin Hills-Crenshaw:
- 71% black
- Baldwin Hills: (high-income)
- Crenshaw: (low-income)

6. Ladera Heights:
- 71% black
- Household income: $118k (very high-income for LA county&city)

7. Hyde Park:
- 66% black
- Household income: $39k (average-income for LA city)

Source: Black Ranking - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Quote:
The high income parts of Los Angeles are predominately white, as are the major high paying professions in Los Angeles.
I agree. Again, never refuted that and anybody who disagrees with that is a moron.

Quote:
Los Angeles wouldn't have had issues with race riots and other things if the Black communities there were so well off.
This is incorrect.

These were the main two riots in LA involving blacks:
1. 1992 riots: Main cause was police brutality/abuse.
2. 1965 Watts riots: Almost 50 years ago; causes were a variety of issues including but not limited to police brutality, school/housing discrimination, civil rights, etc.

Quote:
The Blacks who chose to live among their own mainly because they can't afford the NICER parts of Los Angeles.
Incorrect.

Clearly in Los Angeles, many if not most of the well to do ones are picking well-off majority black places like Ladera Heights, View Park-Windsor Hills and Baldwin Hills or else those communities wouldn't even exist. lol, its really not hard to understand: just connect the dots!

Personally-speaking: I don't know if your black or not but many black ppl value the idea of living in a community where they know they'll be wanted&welcome, has beauty supply/black hair care stores/afro barber shops/salons nearby, a predominately black church and living in a community where their family&friends likely live. Whether that be a black community or a diverse community w/ a lot of blacks.

Quote:
The same pattern in NY and in other areas. More diverse neighborhoods also tend to be more convenient to jobs or other things and therefore more expensive.

True, diverse and white neighborhoods do tend to have more employment/amenities.

I also agree that it is a national issue; but citing Los Angeles was not the best example. If you didn't mention LA and lay down a blanket statement like that then I wouldn't have responded and most of what you have written would've been correct.

Last edited by PrestigiousReputability; 01-22-2014 at 07:12 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 05:53 PM

475 posts, read 849,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
People say the opera and museums cost money. Which I don't believe is entirely true.

But I can say that many poor, working people may not have an interest in museums, the opera, and certain arts for instance.

People simply invest their time and money on what interests them.
True but where I live the Smithsonians are free and all though the National Zoo is no Bronx Zoo, it's still a nice place to take your family. At the National Zoo, there is no huge fees. You pay 15 bucks to park, that's it, don't matter if you have 2 people in your car or 8 people in your SUV, you pay 15 bucks to park, no hidden fees just straight forward business.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:17 PM

343 posts, read 1,089,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
I can not believe this thread is still going on--
Exactly! Ppl writing essays & everything

Old 01-22-2014, 06:53 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,688,517 times
Quote:

Los Angeles wouldn't have had issues with race riots and other things if the Black communities there were so well off. The Blacks who chose to live among their own mainly because they can't afford the NICER parts of Los Angeles. The same pattern in NY and in other areas. More diverse neighborhoods also tend to be more convenient to jobs or other things and therefore more expensive.

Quote:
One could say that in New York you have middle class Black neighborhoods like Cambria Heights where many Blacks are homeowners and have cars. Its true. You can find middle class neighborhoods around the country.

It doesn't change the fact the most desirable parts of any city are PREDOMINATELY WHITE and wealthy.

Its a national issue, not a NYC versus the South versus LA issue. You'll find this ALL OVER the country, and there is no place you can move to where you won't find it. Disproportionately, wealthier and nicer and safer areas are predominately white. That doesn't mean all white people are well off, or that all non whites are poor.

But we are talking about proportions, and the situation is what it is. I think its a sensitive issue and many people get offended when the truth is pointed out.
Yes, exactly.

I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:02 PM

475 posts, read 849,311 times
It's an issue driven by excess and lack of social interest. We all know that when it's time to start a family Small Town USA is a better option because it's safer, cleaner, and more affordable. At the rate Manhattan continues to raise it's COL, I'm surprised everybody who lives there isn't poor. 4,000 a month for an apartment no bigger then my bedroom is ridiculous. This is what happens when you have more liberals and less conservatives creating social programs that only benefit a percentage of communities.

I have no idea how to stop poverty but I think a good start would be to create jobs, lower the staggering costs of college, and let's slow down on the corporate machine a bit. When Wall Street celebrates news from companies that lay offs are coming that's a serious issue. A higher stock price is more important then the humanity of people. It's a sick and twisted game promoted through greed and the idealism of more is not enough.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:54 PM

211 posts, read 516,783 times
Many poor blacks stay in NYC because they can get many benefits and services, it's the same with poor people who aren't black too.

I also want to say this:

I don't think stop and frisk is right, but a lot of the time we have to go under assumptions and be suspicious. A lot of the time, the way someone presents themselves can make the person look suspicious too or scary. Say, you see a man with baggy jeans, walking very slowly, and wearing a hoodie covering his entire face, you can see his boxer shorts sticking out, wouldn't you be afraid? I know I would. Stop & Frisk was proven to be effective under Bloomberg's office, ever since he allowed it the crime kept decreasing and staying at a very steady rate.

Quite frankly, I would be more than delighted to see what the crime rate in the city will be by next year.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:07 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,512,724 times
When the government subsidizes your rent, food and health care, you can afford that $1000 baby stroller I see all the baby Mommas pushing around the Farragut projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City