Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2014, 10:47 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
same reason why anyone else resides in nyc.....because this is a free country.
I love the way you break some things down into one liners. Good point!

Old 04-25-2014, 11:07 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Why do Blacks assume that can speak for other Blacks? Where does this ghetto herd mentality come from, and why is it always from the most ignorant of people ? I went to universityl for 4 years in a rural environment in upstate New York (Ithaca, NY). I lived for another couple of years in that area and I enjoyed it.

Btw, there are Blacks in small towns even in the rural Northeast and out West. There are Blacks in small towns in Central and South America (the Caribbean and Africa are not the only places to have Blacks).

Truthfully, the average poor inner city Black person can't afford to move to a rural area. Housing won't be free, nor will the car (you must drive). So unless you got family or friends to host you, you aren't moving anywhere. It takes money to move.
Ask the OP, who is Black unless I'm mistaken. There is always someone speaking for Blacks. You might not like what they're saying but it persists. I guess you took issue with Bill Cosby a few years ago and take issue with Black public intellectuals and those Blacks on YouTube, who really are ghetto. Give me a break.

And you verify much of what I said. I never said there weren't rural areas with small towns that are predominantly Black everywhere. I said that it is more common in the South. Land passed down by sharecroppers might have something to do with the areas I mentioned. I would expect an educated individual like yourself to address groupthink in a more creative, progressive fashion than to call out a brother for putting it out there, that said groupthink exists.

Last edited by goofy328; 04-25-2014 at 11:16 AM..

Old 04-25-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy328 View Post
Ask the OP, who is Black unless I'm mistaken. There is always someone speaking for Blacks. You might not like what they're saying but it persists. I guess you took issue with Bill Cosby a few years ago and take issue with Black public intellectuals and those Blacks on YouTube, who really are ghetto. Give me a break.

And you verify much of what I said. I never said there weren't rural areas with small towns that are predominantly Black everywhere. I said that it is more common in the South. Land passed down by sharecroppers might have something to do with the areas I mentioned. I would expect an educated individual like yourself to address groupthink in a more creative, progressive fashion than to call out a brother for putting it out there, that said groupthink exists.
I actually do take issue with Bill Cosby, who dissed other people when he had a child out of wedlock that tried to extort money from him. He's in no shame to talk about other people's families.

What good do the self proclaimed Black public intellectuals do.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I actually do take issue with Bill Cosby, who dissed other people when he had a child out of wedlock that tried to extort money from him. He's in no shame to talk about other people's families.

What good do the self proclaimed Black public intellectuals do.
Good point. I still don't see why you so vehemently disagree with my talking points though. I know a lot of Black people that share the sentiment.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:06 PM

279 posts, read 460,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda231 View Post
I don't understand why so many poor blacks continue to call NYC their home. Stop and Frisk is clearly still in effect, for those residing in predominately low income black areas. Why stay and be subjected to such brutality?

White NYPD Cops Rejoice after Beating up Black teens after botched Stop and Frisk ! - YouTube

I realize that some may not have the skills and/or education necessary to find gainful employment, but the working poor would probably due far better in a more rural environment that has a lower cost of living and better quality of life.

Why stay in a city that is clearly intended for the white "upper class?"

Blacks in NYC, like native New Yorkers of ALL races/colors/etc., continue to believe in the myth that their beloved New York City is not as racist, or classist, or otherwise prejudiced, as smaller cities and towns in red-state America. The blacks who don't buy into that myth packed their bags and moved to lower-cost cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, etc. years ago.

That being said, I disagree with your idea that the working poor are better off in rural areas than urban areas. Rural areas have no jobs, outside of being a farmer and working the land. And that's definitely not something anybody can do. Also, farming is highly mechanized nowadays anyway.

Urban poor, at least in theory, have at least one advantage over the rural poor - access to jobs. But of course, NYC isn't the only city in the country, and there are plenty of other cities with much more reasonable costs of living where one can access jobs and/or higher education.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:09 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
Funny how 10-15 years ago big urban cities are typically where you find poor black folks and now it's the reverse. You find less poor blacks and more rich whites as many poor blacks are pushed out due to soaring cost of living and loss of mom&pop places that help them cash food stamps.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:13 PM

279 posts, read 460,980 times
Sidenote: One thing that troubles me about NYC, as much as I like the city, is that it's so massive and so densely populated, that the NYPD may not have much of a choice but to act as an overzealous, terrorizing police force that instills fear in ordinary citizens. NYC is the kind of place where it's very easy for things to spiral out of control. In the 1980s and 1990s when NYC was bad, it was really bad. Horrible things that probably wouldn't happen anywhere else happened in NYC. When the city is orderly and safe, it's a beautiful, amazing, and wonderful place to be.

But when it becomes dysfunctional, it becomes absolutely unbearable because of the sheer density of people, all living on top of each other and squeezed in tight with each other everywhere you go - from the buses and the trains to the sidewalks and city parks. A small group of people causing trouble can have a negative impact on a VERY large number of people in NYC, because it's so densely populated.

So I almost feel like there's only two extremes - either the cops there have to act like Nazis and be feared by both law-abiding citizens and criminals, or the entire city can turn into a zoo where it's every man for himself. It wasn't called the concrete jungle for nothing. Am I wrong here? I hope I am, this is just a theory I've had for awhile now.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Funny how 10-15 years ago big urban cities are typically where you find poor black folks and now it's the reverse. You find less poor blacks and more rich whites as many poor blacks are pushed out due to soaring cost of living and loss of mom&pop places that help them cash food stamps.
Only the Blacks that can afford to stay are left behind.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wine View Post
Blacks in NYC, like native New Yorkers of ALL races/colors/etc., continue to believe in the myth that their beloved New York City is not as racist, or classist, or otherwise prejudiced, as smaller cities and towns in red-state America. The blacks who don't buy into that myth packed their bags and moved to lower-cost cities like Atlanta, Charlotte, etc. years ago.

That being said, I disagree with your idea that the working poor are better off in rural areas than urban areas. Rural areas have no jobs, outside of being a farmer and working the land. And that's definitely not something anybody can do. Also, farming is highly mechanized nowadays anyway.

Urban poor, at least in theory, have at least one advantage over the rural poor - access to jobs. But of course, NYC isn't the only city in the country, and there are plenty of other cities with much more reasonable costs of living where one can access jobs and/or higher education.
Dude, most people in rural areas DO NOT FARM!!!! If you don't know that you've never been in a rural area. Most people in rural areas drive to the nearest town for their jobs.

No one works the land. Farming is done either large scale or corporate for the most part.

As for reasonable cost of living, renters have become much more common across the country. Today one increasingly has to be either well off or has to inherit property from one's parents in order to buy property.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Poor Blacks don't leave inner cities, unless they inherited property from someone.

Go to the Bronx or Brooklyn or the ghetto parts of LA or Chicago and you will find plenty of Blacks. Many poor people simply double or triple up in their living arrangements. At the most, a few retirees who still have family ties elsewhere may move to the South, but beyond that leaving the inner city really isn't happening for the poorest residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City