Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:27 AM

43,619 posts, read 44,346,965 times

Advertisements

I use Time Warner for cable internet as it was the only choice back then. At some point, my building was wired for RCN. So I am wondering if it is worth changing from providers. Is there anyone there that has used RCN or preferably both RCN and Time Warner that can tell me if there is a difference in service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 04:09 PM

127 posts, read 635,474 times
I had TWC in Forest Hills and currently have RCN in Astoria. Until recently, my RCN phone and Internet were going down literally 6 times a day and it took them no fewer than 6 service calls to fix it. Of course, when I moved out of Forest Hills, I was also having incessant Internet problems and TWC couldn't fix those, either. I would say that both companies are fine when things are working and totally worthless when not.

For the package I have, RCN is a lot cheaper. Until this month, I was paying $125 for a triple-play bundle with 50Mbps Internet. A similar package would've cost $190 through TWC, and when I told them what I was paying with RCN, TWC advised me to stick with them! RCN just increased my rate $20, which I should probably call and yell at them about, but it's still comparatively a good deal.

RCN uses TiVo for DVR, and I like it a lot better than TWC's DVR. There are a few differences in channels (no NY1 on RCN, for example) and I seem to recall that the channel selections were more "a la carte" on RCN, i.e., I had to buy a separate package on RCN to get a channel that was included on TWC. So just make sure whatever channels you want are included or available.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:10 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I use Time Warner for cable internet as it was the only choice back then. At some point, my building was wired for RCN. So I am wondering if it is worth changing from providers. Is there anyone there that has used RCN or preferably both RCN and Time Warner that can tell me if there is a difference in service?
I have worked for both and I would say if RCN is available I would go with them. As a salesperson and sales manager I had far fewer issues with RCN than Time Warner when it came to installation and ongoing service. The one thing you give up if it matters to you is NY1 local channel which is owned by TWC

Old 01-20-2014, 05:11 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I have a friend in Rego Park and she has the same choice TW or RCN. It seems that Verizon FIOS hasn't made big inroads into Queens.
Am I wrong?

Old 01-20-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I have a friend in Rego Park and she has the same choice TW or RCN. It seems that Verizon FIOS hasn't made big inroads into Queens.
Am I wrong?

you are 100% right and there does not seem to be any early resolution of that--- all of the Verizon resources are being put towards a build out of Manhattan and that will take some time. A new technology known as micro trenching has greatly reduced the cost of getting into a building in Manhattan and what were previously thought of as "never" buildings are now being built out. What is slowing the process is that each and every owner of the building must sign off to allow them to get into the building to provide service.
However because of the density of Manhattan compared to Queens it is much more profitable for them once they get in and thus no effort is being put into Queens.

RCN is big in Queens because they bought the existing fiber backbone from CON ED in 2006, who thought they were going to be in the business but it never happened. Do a wikipedia search on RCN and you should see the story unfold
Rcn is big in Queens because their prime fiber network was purchased from CON ED who built it out thinking they were going to get into the business but that idea died a slow death.

Old 01-20-2014, 07:46 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
I have RCN for internet and is just as good as the service I had with TWC or Fios--at a third the cost.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:55 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,772,015 times
I recently put someone in a building that only gets RCN and he said oh this is great didnt know manhattan had it (he moved from queens) and was very happy with RCN.

I personally never had it only time warner and cablevision/optimum.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
I recently put someone in a building that only gets RCN and he said oh this is great didnt know manhattan had it (he moved from queens) and was very happy with RCN.

I personally never had it only time warner and cablevision/optimum.
---

Penetration in Manhattan is very small- cost of installing it for the company is high and the ROI is difficult.
All fiber in Manhattan has to be underground where in Queens it is run overhead--- big difference

Old 01-21-2014, 05:43 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
I don't have cable or a home telephone, but I've been using RCN for my high speed Internet for over three years now without much issue.

They're not the giant monolithic mega-corporation that is Time Warner. On the few times I've had to call them, I've gotten a live human on the phone with minimal delay.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I don't have cable or a home telephone, but I've been using RCN for my high speed Internet for over three years now without much issue.

They're not the giant monolithic mega-corporation that is Time Warner. On the few times I've had to call them, I've gotten a live human on the phone with minimal delay.

Yes that is true but unfortunately they do have financial issues...they should be fine but it is a tough business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City