Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:59 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times

Advertisements

Posters who are angry about gentrification in Bed Stuy have two choices, you can stay angry about gentrification and let opportunity pass you by. Or you can get over your anger and buy in ENY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 09:32 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,329,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
And you are a part of this perpetuating these problems. First, you group all Black Americans together as if we are some massive robot.

Number 2, you try to group all Black Americans together and hold everyone responsible for everyone's reactions.

But people are individuals. So if some thug commits a crime, well, the NYPD can deal with him. I own no responsibility to a poor Black neighborhood. I myself won't live in one. Not my fault people in the ghetto are poor and as I said, there is no one grand solution to the problem.

Realistically there are always going to be ghetto areas and low class scum somewhere. The best you can do is avoid that environment yourself.

BTW, there are plenty of Africans who are illiterate or nearly so, and there are plenty of poorly educated Caribbean people.

In every society in the world, college educated people, particularly when you get to the level of advanced degrees are a minority.
What? How am I part of the problem? The world looks at me and sees "black woman". I'm grouped as "black" and I identify as "black" regardless of where my socioeconomic pedigree puts me on the ladder. We were given these (arbitrary) race classifications so one works with the label. My point was that Shooter is complaining that white people have caused black peoples problems in creating ghettos (by redlining etc). While that's true, blacks have managed to perpetuate the problems that continue to keep a disproportionate percentage of the black population in poverty.

And I can assure you that education is highly stressed with (African) immigrants. The problem over there is overall infrastructure and access to education. But if you manage to get to America where education is accessible and free, your kids damn sure better do well. Especially since they understand the formula to a better life in a America: your kids do well in school, go to college, become an accountant, and buy a house. There are a lot of jokes about this where the only acceptable jobs for your kids are "doctor , lawyer , engineer" or if you bring home a test with a 95, your parents ask "what happened to the other 5 points?" I'm speaking from first hand experience.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:42 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,972,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
What? How am I part of the problem? The world looks at me and sees "black woman". I'm grouped as "black" and I identify as "black" regardless of where my socioeconomic pedigree puts me on the ladder. We were given these (arbitrary) race classifications so one works with the label. My point was that Shooter is complaining that white people have caused black peoples problems in creating ghettos (by redlining etc). While that's true, blacks have managed to perpetuate the problems that continue to keep a disproportionate percentage of the black population in poverty.

And I can assure you that education is highly stressed with (African) immigrants. The problem over there is overall infrastructure and access to education. But if you manage to get to America where education is accessible and free, your kids damn sure better do well. Especially since they understand the formula to a better life in a America: your kids do well in school, go to college, become an accountant, and buy a house. There are a lot of jokes about this where the only acceptable jobs for your kids are "doctor , lawyer , engineer" or if you bring home a test with a 95, your parents ask "what happened to the other 5 points?" I'm speaking from first hand experience.
I know I certainly didn't create any problem that put any Black person in poverty. Not my problem or my concern, really. And I'm Black.

Anyone stuck in poverty can help themselves first by going out and getting a JOB! Start out with ANY job, and try your best to work your way up from there. Screw these essays and stupid convoluted explanations.

Everyone has to take care of himself and figure out the best solutions for his/her life. No one else can do it for you.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:49 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philopower View Post
So I visited NY last weekend and stayed in the bed-stuy area with a friend. I am appalled at the gentrification, there were renovated town brownstones everywhere and the hip new restaurants were charging $15+ a plate. I even went to a bar called one last shag and it was supposed to be latin night, but there was more white people with barely any latinos. They started playing Notorious BIG and I heard all these white girls rapping along saying the n word. I was appalled.
You sound like like a old angry white guy in my old building in Washington Heights when that area turned into the Santo Domingo. NYC is constantly changing.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:55 AM

343 posts, read 1,092,744 times
so is Bedstuy still Do or Die.. or nah?

Old 01-20-2014, 09:56 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I know I certainly didn't create any problem that put any Black person in poverty. Not my problem or my concern, really. And I'm Black.

Anyone stuck in poverty can help themselves first by going out and getting a JOB! Start out with ANY job, and try your best to work your way up from there. Screw these essays and stupid convoluted explanations.

Everyone has to take care of himself and figure out the best solutions for his/her life. No one else can do it for you.
Unfortunately, the jobs at McDonalds have been denigrated by left-wing politicians. They are not stepping stones to something else, they are dead-end jobs where you are exploited. You're better off not working.

So let's say I am an employer and two resumes come in. One person has zero work experience and the other has worked at McDonalds for one year. I call her reference (the McDonalds manager) and you find out that this applicant is a great employee who has a tremendous work ethic and is always on time.

So who are you going to hire?

Old 01-20-2014, 10:10 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,975,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Posters who are angry about gentrification in Bed Stuy have two choices, you can stay angry about gentrification and let opportunity pass you by. Or you can get over your anger and buy in ENY.

I believe when all set and done, there will be homeowners who will stay behind in Bed Stuy. Those who rent and are there from the old do-or-die days will eventually get priced out. Newer housing are in development as we speak in ENY, a lot of those are in the north, between south of Atlantic Ave and north of Sutter Ave.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:18 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Ruby if the choice is between a resume with 1 year experience at McDonalds, and the other with no work experience, you will hire whoever will work for less/is the most desperate because the job does not even require anyone with any work experience....just a minimally functional person who can follow basic instructions while not wrecking your business.

And to go further, you are most likely not to hire the best/most qualified person, but the one least likely to leave after 6 months, which is typically the single mom of 2+ kids, typically on section 8. She needs the job for her benefits, and has no chance of ever doing anything else, and you can exploit her forever. It is better for YOU to have the least amount of turnover, you spend less time training, hiring, etc...whoever stays forever is your best employee for that kind of job.

Your opinion is not that of a business owner, but as a wide-eyed employee who does not know how business people think, run their business, or hire.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:32 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
I was born and raised it NYC, I'm wondering if the people complaining about the gentrification in Bed Sty miss all the sleezy jack shacks and the element they attracted on 42nd ST?

Old 01-20-2014, 01:04 PM

766 posts, read 1,254,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
I call fake
Why would I lie? I don't have an agenda, I don't even live in NY. I came and spent my tourist dollars in your city and decided to make this thread because of some of the horrific observations I made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City