Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 05:57 PM

18,391 posts, read 31,513,142 times

Advertisements

What does the mayor really have to do with snow removal. The sanitation should know by now that when we have a snow storm, the plows must come out.

It is the year 2014, common sense, the dept of sanitation should have this under control already, not the Mayor.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 05:58 PM

1,152 posts, read 2,136,100 times
I have only lived here for about 3 and a half years from Buffalo. We are used to snow and removing it. Question: Is this normal to constantly have such huge issues with snow removal? After the huge snow storm that hit a couple years back it seems like a big issue but has it always been this way? I couldn't fly back from visiting family during that storm so I didn't get to witness how bad it was. It seems like after the failings of Bloomberg that handling snow storms is REALLY important now.

All I know is that there are a LOT of streets that need cleaning, a lot of people, a lot of cars, and a lot of snow during these storms. One thing I will say is that they need a better salting presence before the storms. NYC gets advanced notice most times that there is a lot of snow coming (unlike the lake effect snow that dumps a foot overnight often). Why aren't they mobilizing more?

Old 01-22-2014, 06:04 PM

31,741 posts, read 26,654,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
I have only lived here for about 3 and a half years from Buffalo. We are used to snow and removing it. Question: Is this normal to constantly have such huge issues with snow removal? After the huge snow storm that hit a couple years back it seems like a big issue but has it always been this way? I couldn't fly back from visiting family during that storm so I didn't get to witness how bad it was. It seems like after the failings of Bloomberg that handling snow storms is REALLY important now.

All I know is that there are a LOT of streets that need cleaning, a lot of people, a lot of cars, and a lot of snow during these storms. One thing I will say is that they need a better salting presence before the storms. NYC gets advanced notice most times that there is a lot of snow coming (unlike the lake effect snow that dumps a foot overnight often). Why aren't they mobilizing more?
If you listen to how deBlasio and DSNY commissioner are spinning things the problems came from the fact snow started early in the day. By that time streets and avenues had traffic already on them thus plows couldn't get in and do their jobs fast enough to prevent. Didn't go out yesterday but local news coverage had interviews with DSNY plow operators that were stuck in the same traffic as everyone else.

At it's peak the storm was dropping about two inches of snow per hour in much of NYC area. Again this started early in the am (around nine on the UES) so morning rush hour traffic would have already been well underway.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:22 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,270,455 times
I was driving around in the morning and early afternoon. Before the traffic jams started up. Didn't see a single salter. Was in brooklyn, queens and manhattan. Other than the fact it was already snowing, you wouldn't of thought that the city even knew a storm was on its way. Other than them not picking up my trash.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:27 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,083,528 times
Those people falling all have shoes with no tread and some are even wearing sneakers. They need to get some proper boots and learn how to walk in these conditions.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:31 PM

9,241 posts, read 24,012,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall View Post
Those people falling all have shoes with no tread and some are even wearing sneakers. They need to get some proper boots and learn how to walk in these conditions.
And the one who was on the bicycle ? Really,I swear most people have lost the ability to think about what they are doing and make intelligent decisions.How does one decide to go ride a bike on the ice ?

Old 01-22-2014, 08:30 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,482,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post

What no one is mentioning is that for the past 12 years (the Bloomberg tyranny) the streets of Manhattan were spotless during the tiniest of snowfalls or blizzards. The other 4 boroughs were basically left to fend for themselves.

Now, the dilitantes on the UES are not getting the preferential treatment they have been accustomed to and are crying like the spoiled brats they are. Here in Queens it was handled pretty well even during the height of the storm. Granted secondary and tertiary roads had to wait longer as is expected.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:50 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,083,528 times
Absolutely right about the difference between snow removal in Queens and Manhattan in the past. I spent years of winters climbing over snow mountains piled up on the corners. Plows wouldn't come down my dead end street and we'd all have to get together and shovel out the street ourselves. Now the tables are slightly turned and these people on UES are complaining about an inch of snow stuck to the street because of below freezing weather and they cry like babies.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:54 PM

335 posts, read 502,433 times
The people who were stuck on the UES for hours were not necessarily from the UES.

They were people from the boroughs and Long Island trying to get home from work. They were also school children on busses who were stuck for almost 4 hours without food or bathrooms.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:08 PM

31,741 posts, read 26,654,270 times
What many persons forget is that Second Avenue at least functions as an overflow for the FDR drive south. Just as First can for the FDR going north. Commercial traffic has no choice but to use either as the Drive does not allow that sort of traffic. Also if one wants the Queens Borough Bridge or Mid-Town Tunnel, Second is normally the way to go.

Much of the backup traffic on Second above say East 30's is due to traffic heading to the tunnel or bridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City