Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 02:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai711 View Post
I've been stalking Craigslist for something in that area but no luck so far. Ideally I would like a one bedroom of my own but
have had no luck. I need to start writing good will letters to landlords so they can overlook my 585 score
I am not sure that bad credit would affect your chances of getting a share at a good price. I guess maybe I'm not up with the latest on roommate searches, but I would imagine that the number of share situations that check the credit of potential roommates is fairly low.

It's true that most landlords do check if you're trying for your own place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 02:40 PM

8,103 posts, read 6,745,378 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I need help from those that are familiar with the Bedstuy are particularly Putnam ave and Ralph ave. I am looking to move back to New York, preferably Brooklyn from New Jersey. I lived on Bushwick ave btw Montrose and Meserole before but have no experience with Bedstuy.

This is a sublet in a gorgeous brownstone on Putnam Ave. I walked there from the train around 3pm during the day and although I had no issues it did seem kinda hood. The roommates are transplants as well so im at a bit of a loss if its something I should commit to.

I am 30 years old female but look more like 20 or 21 petite and African American. I work in retail an luckily the latest I would be traveling in from Manhattan would be around 1030 -11 and if I go out which I do once of twice a week much later.

I have to sign my sublet agreement shortly and will be going to the area tomorrow night to scope it out and if I feel okay sign. Even though I will be in that area tomorrow one night does not a neighborhood make. So I would like to know though from those familiar with the area is it relatively safe? Do they have cabs available from the train if im coming home late at night? Should I keep looking?

For the record I am aware that crime can happen anywhere, I just dont want to be living somewhere where there is a greater chance of it happening to me. Also the room is in a 3 bedroom brownstone 2 bathrooms 1050 a month with 50 additional for utilities. I work in retail so although I wont say Im flashy I don't exactly blend in.

Thanks in advance for any advice
According to the CD safety map Ralph and Putnam is almost right smack dab in the middle of the the red (dangerous) zone. You want to be further south and west of that area.

Brooklyn: Brooklyn Safety Map - Google Maps

Last edited by Above Average Bear; 01-26-2014 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: Add link

Old 01-26-2014, 03:34 PM

23 posts, read 39,094 times
Hello, all:

That's definitely one of the less gentrified parts of Bed-Stuy, but it's also a part where crime was never all that bad. It was and is much worse a little farther north, near the hospital (where rents are actually higher, due to the proximity of the "Morgantown" part of the Williamsburg/Bushwick border), and to the northwest, near the Marcy Houses. Around Ralph and Putnam you don't get the population density necessary for really crazy crime. It's just a lot of one- and two-family townhouses. It does seem like a disproportionate number of crime reports from Bed-Stuy come the corridor between Patchen and Broadway, but still -- it's only a story every month or three, and it's an area with many thousands of people. (The last really ugly story I can remember from that part of the hood, prior to the tattoo parlor story, was the one about the dude attacked with a hammer last fall.)

Still, though. If you're out by Ralph, you'd probably want to be a few blocks farther south, like around Macon. Very pretty, very peaceful blocks there. An actor from The Wire just bought a house nearby, at Macon and Patchen. (Source: Wire Actor Buys in Bed Stuy | Postely) Can't be that bad!

- BKT

Old 01-26-2014, 04:24 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkthorp View Post
Hello, all:

That's definitely one of the less gentrified parts of Bed-Stuy, but it's also a part where crime was never all that bad. It was and is much worse a little farther north, near the hospital (where rents are actually higher, due to the proximity of the "Morgantown" part of the Williamsburg/Bushwick border), and to the northwest, near the Marcy Houses. Around Ralph and Putnam you don't get the population density necessary for really crazy crime. It's just a lot of one- and two-family townhouses. It does seem like a disproportionate number of crime reports from Bed-Stuy come the corridor between Patchen and Broadway, but still -- it's only a story every month or three, and it's an area with many thousands of people. (The last really ugly story I can remember from that part of the hood, prior to the tattoo parlor story, was the one about the dude attacked with a hammer last fall.)

Still, though. If you're out by Ralph, you'd probably want to be a few blocks farther south, like around Macon. Very pretty, very peaceful blocks there. An actor from The Wire just bought a house nearby, at Macon and Patchen. (Source: Wire Actor Buys in Bed Stuy | Postely) Can't be that bad!

- BKT
My issue isn't how good or bad that area is, it's that the amount of rent being asked for to share in that three bedroom is too much. $850 is more reasonable.

Last edited by jad2k; 01-26-2014 at 04:56 PM..

Old 01-26-2014, 04:34 PM

34,009 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkthorp View Post
Hello, all:

- BKT
Morgantown?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-26-2014, 05:35 PM

23 posts, read 39,094 times
Jad2k:

You're right. That's very high. I hadn't noticed the price. Maybe there's an en suite bath? With, like, a steam shower?

Seventhfloor:

Morgantown! It's a silly neologism sometimes applied to the area around the Morgan L. That cluster of bars and restaurants has been driving up rents for at least three or four years, not only in the industrial area around Bogart, but also near the ugly stretch of Broadway around Woodhull. I recently met a guy who's paying $900 for a smallish room on the block of Park Ave between Broadway and Marcus Garvey. What would that have gone for a decade ago? $200, maybe?

- BKT

Old 01-27-2014, 09:07 AM

6 posts, read 8,058 times
Thanks again guys. Funny thing is she sent a text asking what I would pay to reconsider.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:45 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,050 times
Quote:
I've been stalking Craigslist for something in that area but no luck so far. Ideally I would like a one bedroom of my own but
have had no luck. I need to start writing good will letters to landlords so they can overlook my 585 score
That is what agents are for--- they know which landlords will overlook your score--- I know it will cost you more but that is what you negotiate with the agent. Do not stop looking on Craigslist but be brutally honest with whomever you deal with about your score. you do not want to look like you are hiding anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City