Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 12:47 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,568,650 times

Advertisements

In about a month or so, I'm planning to fly from Orlando to JFK and will spend one night in the city before taking Metro North into Connecticut

My actual plans are not set in stone yet, I have one friend who lives in the Fordham section of the Bronx who may or may not let me stay the night (haven't asked yet) or I may get a hotel room somewhere

I travel fairly light and I plan on just having my carry on bag, and I'll take the subway from the airport

I haven't been to NYC since I was 15 (9 yrs ago) & never rode the subway before but I've heard that it's not safe. Is that true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 12:53 AM

1,805 posts, read 2,366,009 times
It's not safe if you don't have street smarts

it's not safe if you waving that shiny new ipad/iphone all over the place

Use common sense and you'll be fine. As with any city, scum does come out at night...Try to blend in with everyone else.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:26 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,123,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
It's not safe if you don't have street smarts

it's not safe if you waving that shiny new ipad/iphone all over the place

Use common sense and you'll be fine. As with any city, scum does come out at night...Try to blend in with everyone else.
I agree. Everytime I see someone with a laptop out cringe. Know where you are going, look like you do, stay awake and alert.

Old 01-26-2014, 04:36 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I agree. Everytime I see someone with a laptop out cringe. Know where you are going, look like you do, stay awake and alert.
Relax if the strap hanger pulls out an hp ultrabook. If the rider pulls out a 2000 dollar macbook air than its safe to cringe.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:26 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,991,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
In about a month or so, I'm planning to fly from Orlando to JFK and will spend one night in the city before taking Metro North into Connecticut

My actual plans are not set in stone yet, I have one friend who lives in the Fordham section of the Bronx who may or may not let me stay the night (haven't asked yet) or I may get a hotel room somewhere

I travel fairly light and I plan on just having my carry on bag, and I'll take the subway from the airport

I haven't been to NYC since I was 15 (9 yrs ago) & never rode the subway before but I've heard that it's not safe. Is that true?
It depends on you--- what time would you be traveling and where and what kind of condition will you be in
if you are talking about 3am coming back from a night out of drinking with your friend going to the Bronx and acting like a jerk yes it could be a problem. My wife takes the subway at midnight from Lincoln Center to Brooklyn and has no problems at all except sometimes not being able to get a seat. So you see the answer is it depends.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:18 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
During the daylight it is usually safe. At night it depends on when and where you are traveling.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:28 AM

912 posts, read 2,098,397 times
The subway is often safer than the street. Take a bus from JFK to the 7 train. It's a can of corn

Old 01-26-2014, 07:35 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,103 times
i never seen anyone use a laptop on the subway
tablets sometimes

just be street smart
be near a door if you feel uneasy and exit and get on another train if you think there might be "danger" or you just don't like someone there
aka if ghetto black kids come on just get on another train

Old 01-26-2014, 08:12 AM

506 posts, read 957,943 times
It was safe when I ride on it. Then again I don't do anything hasty or stupid.

Old 01-26-2014, 08:50 AM

145 posts, read 227,012 times
The only times I've ever felt a little uneasy was coming back from a concert after-party at like 2-3am, dressed up and alone, waiting for the subway. But I'm not stupid enough to have ear buds in, or on my iphone. And in those situations I try to stand where other women are gathered, and then I get on the car with the conductor. But I highly doubt you'll be taking it that late at night and alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: