Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 12:09 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times

Advertisements

For a buck, you could set up an LLC and buy the place, strip it down and sell all the scrap in it, then let the property sit and collect tax bills in arrears. If the market comes back you can sell it, pay off the tax debt, and bank the profit. If it doesn't, then you sink the LLC and it's nothing lost. Zero risk proposition
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 12:45 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,831,554 times
Does anyone keep thinking the V stands for Vagina. SubbornV. Subborn Vagina...

Old 01-31-2014, 10:02 PM

23 posts, read 51,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Does anyone keep thinking the V stands for Vagina. SubbornV. Subborn Vagina...

Thats funny lmao

Old 02-01-2014, 12:09 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,211 times
Are you paying taxes on that $100 of earning? Just trying to think of ways we can fill that potential budget gap

Old 02-01-2014, 12:25 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,448,558 times
This has to be one of the best threads I've read on our forum. The responses were all hilarious, I'm proud of you guys LOL!

The title and OP is so dramatic. "Nothing will stop me!" - Great! I wish you nothing but the best (if you're not trolling) but like another poster said AT LEAST move when it's not so cold. Seriously though $107 pays for your cell phone bill for the month. 3-4 days of food probably. Not even an unlimited monthly Metrocard - Be prepared to hike up your jeans and stroll throughout the city, you'll have A LOT of work to do. But welcome to the greatest city!!!

Old 02-01-2014, 09:34 AM

195 posts, read 304,679 times
I hope to the heavens this is a troll.

If it's not let me reiterate that everything you've read so far is sound advice...wait until you have more money and move when it's warmer. I'm moving up there in June with thousands saved. I still don't think that's going to give me the best cushion, but it will be enough to last me for a little while as I search for work.

If you are hell bent on moving here with loose change in your pocket, set yourself up for at least relative success. Wait until it's warmer, NYC in the winter is no joke! Look at the weather reports if you don't believe me. I was there in October and it was very chilly for me (I stay in Fl now), I can only imagine what it'll be like for you with that vortex out for blood.

Next think about finding a place to live. Yeah, yeah, yeah I get it you're willing to be homeless. That sounds all well and good right now, until you're out there with psychos, crooks, murderers, prostitutes, drug addicts. Let me tell you, the streets are more real than you could ever imagine. I think there are websites for people looking to sleep on someone's couch, google it. Push come to shove, look at taking out a personal loan or something. I'm sure you won't be able to pay it back immediately, but hey if you're facing homelessness I'm sure your credit is the last of your concerns. Not to mention you'll have to put an address on your application...unless you are doing illegal work and getting paid under the table.

Next look at temp agencies and minimum wage jobs. These, I hear, are hard to come by, too but if you get one at least you'll have some money to subside. Don't discount looking at the outerboroughs, you may have a better chance finding work there than in the city.

Then look at getting some education. Yes you may have a minimum wage job, but hopefully you won't want to stay there forever. After getting a more stable living arrangement (1 bedroom in an outerborough shared with 51825 other people does not count) you can take advantage of education benefits, like federal grants for low income earners. I hear you can get back a couple of grand a semester depending on how much the school costs, so a CC would probably be best. Added bonus: you're getting an education which will make you a more attractive job applicant. Don't screw around in school though, it's hard to explain why you failed multiple classes in a community college to an employer..oh and I think they'll withhold your refund check, too.

Also, don't discount sucking dick in alleys if money gets tight...just find a gay bar and give a few people the sexy eye.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:43 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,123,200 times
I agree with other posters. You frustration and drive to get out and start new are understandable. However arriving here with only $7 is not a good plan AT ALL. You need to have a foundation before you start over anywhere. Much more money saved, Some solid work experience built up so you can have a roof over your head. Starving and freezing in a strange city is not the way. Not with $7 and sleeping under a highway overpass. Think about this for a moment.

Patience, time and working toward this goal every day until you have more resources is the way to go.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:05 PM

475 posts, read 852,601 times
If you're going to be foolish then you better be tough

Old 02-02-2014, 12:29 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,003,408 times
Dude is from LA but wants to trudge it out in NYC???

I'm doing fine and I wouldn't want to leave LA for NYC. Why on Earth would you leave 70 degree weather to go to a winter ice bucket with a higher cost of living? That's literally insane.

OP do you want to get into finance? media? Fashion?

Just trudge it out in LA, the opportunities are just as abundant here. Why do ppl act like NYC is the only city to make it in?

Old 02-02-2014, 10:45 PM

615 posts, read 1,381,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Dude is from LA but wants to trudge it out in NYC???

I'm doing fine and I wouldn't want to leave LA for NYC. Why on Earth would you leave 70 degree weather to go to a winter ice bucket with a higher cost of living? That's literally insane.

OP do you want to get into finance? media? Fashion?

Just trudge it out in LA, the opportunities are just as abundant here. Why do ppl act like NYC is the only city to make it in?
Like Jay-Z said, if you can make it in NYC, you can make it anywhere!!!

I know people that are office professionals that can realistically land a $60k-70K job in NYC, but aren't moving there despite wanting to because their lifestyle will take an enormous hit due to insanely high rents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City