Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 03:26 AM

23 posts, read 51,344 times

Advertisements

I currently reside in LA, with my parents. My life is going no where and I hate being in the crap-hole. I am going to NYC with family on February 2 and will not be returning to LA. I will have $7 and a bag full of clothes. I will hustle (nothing illegal) and do whatever it takes to make it. I am 20 years old and NOTHING can stop me.
I have been to NY many times and have decided that is where I want to be. So don't try to convince me otherwise. Oh, also I don't want to get on government help of any kind. I can do it without those fascist pigs.

I am a resourceful little _______

I will couch surf and sleep in the sewer if that means another day in NYC.
Basically what I am trying to say is please do not try and convince me otherwise, Just looking for some advice, tips, anything they may help. I am going to need it. It will be a Really really really rough ride and I want to be as prepared as possible (no snarky comments on that, I know I should have saved blah blah blah, medical bills and housing in LA aint cheap and I wont live rent free in my parents home, thats ridiculous and I need to grow up, this is the best way I know how)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Tips on ANYTHING NYC that may help.

This city may chew me up, but it will not spit me out!

Also anyone else ever do anything like this or be so determined to do something that nothing and no one could stop you??

By the way you can call me "V" or Vincenzo
I am happy to have joined this forum, seeing as I am always lurking here anyways.

Also stay tuned, I will post here when I get the chance to to let everyone know how crappy things are going( but I will be in NYC) woot woot

Last edited by StubbornV; 01-30-2014 at 03:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 04:55 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
Here's a tip - post in the correct forum. This is the general NY forum, not the NYC forum.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:00 AM

23 posts, read 51,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Here's a tip - post in the correct forum. This is the general NY forum, not the NYC forum.

I meant NY when I posted this, NYC just comes to me when I type for some reason...

That was not a very helpful post.

Thanks though

Old 01-30-2014, 07:07 AM

245 posts, read 431,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubbornV View Post
I meant NY when I posted this, NYC just comes to me when I type for some reason...

That was not a very helpful post.

Thanks though
I still don't think you understood what she just said, but whatever.

Best of luck to you... you'll need it. If I were your family, I'd be incredibly worried if my son left us to live in a massive metropolitan city with literally nothing to his name. Do they know you're planning this? I know those "rags to riches" stories sound inspiring, but they're not the norm. They're not even the exception to the norm. They're the exception to the exception to the norm.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:13 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,497 times
Hi V....whenever I step out during work, there seems to be a great group of people it seems like you would fit in with occupying the sidewalk down on the corner of pine and william street (one block over from wall street). They have comandeered the entire block it seems, so if you can get in good, it seems like some prime real estate. It's currently 8 degrees though, so you may want to push the move back a month. If you have any face tattoos or piercings, it seems like you'd jump to the top of their list....And then talk about how it's the 'system's fault'.
If this group doesn't work, let me know. On my morning jogs, I can try and scout out some other groups for you.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:43 AM

298 posts, read 706,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Hi V....whenever I step out during work, there seems to be a great group of people it seems like you would fit in with occupying the sidewalk down on the corner of pine and william street (one block over from wall street). They have comandeered the entire block it seems, so if you can get in good, it seems like some prime real estate. It's currently 8 degrees though, so you may want to push the move back a month. If you have any face tattoos or piercings, it seems like you'd jump to the top of their list....And then talk about how it's the 'system's fault'.
If this group doesn't work, let me know. On my morning jogs, I can try and scout out some other groups for you.
Might be a little late. I've heard that some of the original occupiers came with nothing and ended up being able to sleep in the Greenwich Village wine cellars of penitent capitalists. If that's not making it, I don't know what is.

Have you heard of the term "rent boy"?

Old 01-30-2014, 07:48 AM

158 posts, read 303,940 times
V-I would advise against this plan, it sounds like the making of a bad Lifetime movie.

You can't get a decent job without an address. You might get a job washing dishes for below minimum wage, but where will you sleep? It's freezing out here.

No one is going to let you sleep on their couch, the sad truth is we New Yorkers have become somewhat indifferent, it's just happens from living in a crowded city always in a rush. I'm not saying give up, I'm saying come up with a better plan than $7.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Feb 2 in NYC with $7 in your pocket?
Wear your heaviest clothing as it will be winter time and it can get quite cold living on the streets,. You will do well to resource homeless shelters as you'll need them until you get a job and a few paychecks rolling in, .
I wish you the best of luck, write back and tell us how it goes.

Old 01-30-2014, 07:56 AM

424 posts, read 973,918 times
OP: moving anywhere whether it's a, deserted island in the middle of the Pacific or Manhattan island, without any money is a very bad idea. Please plan this out more and come here with savings. Hope it goes well for you, you can only couch surf for so long being unemployed- especially in NYC.

BTW, I moved here with savings and had the advantage of staying with family members for a year while working and I'm still struggling a bit to get my footing 2 1/2 years later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballervision View Post
Might be a little late. I've heard that some of the original occupiers came with nothing and ended up being able to sleep in the Greenwich Village wine cellars of penitent capitalists. If that's not making it, I don't know what is.
Interesting you say that. More occupiers than you'd think had jobs and ok (but not great) salaries. I also witnessed the confirmation of a rumor that a few of them were even trust fundies rebelling against mom and dad; eating lunch in 60 Wall during the height of it I witnesses someone's well dressed parent's pleading with him to "come back home to Rye" and have a "conversation with Dr Hart" That was a bit eye opening but I guess I shouldn't be that surprised.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:02 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubbornV View Post
I currently reside in LA, with my parents. My life is going no where and I hate being in the crap-hole. I am going to NYC with family on February 2 and will not be returning to LA. I will have $7 and a bag full of clothes. I will hustle (nothing illegal) and do whatever it takes to make it. I am 20 years old and NOTHING can stop me.
I have been to NY many times and have decided that is where I want to be. So don't try to convince me otherwise. Oh, also I don't want to get on government help of any kind. I can do it without those fascist pigs.

I am a resourceful little _______

I will couch surf and sleep in the sewer if that means another day in NYC.
Basically what I am trying to say is please do not try and convince me otherwise, Just looking for some advice, tips, anything they may help. I am going to need it. It will be a Really really really rough ride and I want to be as prepared as possible (no snarky comments on that, I know I should have saved blah blah blah, medical bills and housing in LA aint cheap and I wont live rent free in my parents home, thats ridiculous and I need to grow up, this is the best way I know how)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Tips on ANYTHING NYC that may help.

This city may chew me up, but it will not spit me out!

Also anyone else ever do anything like this or be so determined to do something that nothing and no one could stop you??

By the way you can call me "V" or Vincenzo
I am happy to have joined this forum, seeing as I am always lurking here anyways.

Also stay tuned, I will post here when I get the chance to to let everyone know how crappy things are going( but I will be in NYC) woot woot

With $7 you won't make it through lunch in this city--- based on this post though one place you want to find as soon as you land here is Bellvue they are waiting for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City