Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 11:36 AM

138 posts, read 595,083 times

Advertisements

So my roomie and i are currently looking to rent a 2 br in Parkchester ( sorry im not interested in opinions of safety of this hood or personal preferences of neighborhoods, etc ) We've found some apartments in the complex from 1200 to 1600 per month. I was wondering if anyone knew about the income requirements of this development? She and i together last year made 60k, but i worked upstate, not in the city area. I do not know if that counts as steady income as i wont be doing said job when i move to NY. She has a city job and is in a union. I have good credit and have saved up enough for about 7 months of rent, i'm hoping that counts for something. When i move i will be taking classes or interning part time, and will be nannying part time (already have a job set up and family waiting for me). I'll be making about 700/wk cash (the family pays taxes). So my future income matches as well, but i think the job change will hinder our application process.

Does anyone know much about the income requirements or anything about the job stability requirements of this community? or any other pertinent info that could help? (except telling me not to go there, or that its not safe, etc, i dont care about peoples negative opinions on that.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 12:55 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
I am not sure of any specifics of Parkchester for a rental, but 40x is the usual gauge used to determine affordability. At $60k, you're right there, so I don't think that would be an issue. Ask your new employer draft a letter that states your salary, gross (including taxes) as that's what they use for the basis usually, and the date you are to start working with them. Net of $700 a week is well within the guidelines for a share in the range specified. In conjunction with your steady work history and savings, that should be sufficient to prove your half of the rent for the apartment.

Are you renting from the management company or from an individual owner? An individual owner might not be as fussy as the management company, but either way it should not be too much of an issue for you. And, if there is an issue since you are changing jobs, you can offer to put up extra security or pay an extra month in advance from your savings if they require some more money up front with the job change. It really should not factor too much, provided you have the offer letter that indicates the employment once you reach NYC.

And, I'm not one who will run down Parkchester itself and I actually think it's a good decision for you, since it's stable and improving steadily and the apartments are a good value. Welcome to NYC.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:40 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,117 times
As I told cazattack in a pm, there are definitely income requirements for rental in Parkchester - each household has to verify income at around $40,000 if I am not mistaken. And that would comport with the usual 40x rent. Hopefully, she can show proof of enough savings and with her roommates salary combined with her expected part-time work - she will meet management's requirments.

Just an fyi - even if she rents from an owner, she still would have to submit an application with management (who will perform a background check as well as require her to meet the minimum salary threshhold - in other words, one cannot get around this by renting from an owner unless the owner wants to rent to her "unofficially" which would be not only risky to themselves but to her as well).

Again, I wish you guys the best of luck. I think it will all work out and you will come to really appreciate all the great amenities this community has to offer.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:35 AM

Thanks! you've both been very helpful. i checked out the parkchester neighborhood on sunday, granted it was dark out and almost everything was closed, but i liked the communty a lot. it kinda reminded me of college dorms, but better. my roomate attempted to go to open house tuesday, but got out of work late, missed the open house but met a resident who offered to show her around. which is pretty awesome. we also checked out flatbush gardens, which didnt seem as nice, but we're applying for both anyways. we're really routing for parkchester, and the idea of me being able to live that close to a macys, starbucks and unos makes me giddy! and we noticed a bar near the subway has karaoke, yay! hehe

so, i know ive asked about neighborhood before, but where else besides these 2 complexes are decent places for us to live, should we be denied? we cant find anything so far in riverdale, which we like. we're looking for 1200 and under for rent, which may put us in not-so-nice-neighborhood land. hehe.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:41 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,442,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazattack View Post
Thanks! you've both been very helpful. i checked out the parkchester neighborhood on sunday, granted it was dark out and almost everything was closed, but i liked the communty a lot. it kinda reminded me of college dorms, but better. my roomate attempted to go to open house tuesday, but got out of work late, missed the open house but met a resident who offered to show her around. which is pretty awesome. we also checked out flatbush gardens, which didnt seem as nice, but we're applying for both anyways. we're really routing for parkchester, and the idea of me being able to live that close to a macys, starbucks and unos makes me giddy! and we noticed a bar near the subway has karaoke, yay! hehe

so, i know ive asked about neighborhood before, but where else besides these 2 complexes are decent places for us to live, should we be denied? we cant find anything so far in riverdale, which we like. we're looking for 1200 and under for rent, which may put us in not-so-nice-neighborhood land. hehe.
You should check out Pelham Parkway, and Morris Park if Parkchester falls through, these neighborhoods are pretty safe, and you should be able to find something between 1200-1600, however it's mostly private houses

Old 10-27-2008, 09:59 AM

so i also found out, no pets allowed in parkchester. boo. i guess i have to cross that off my list.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:03 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazattack View Post
so i also found out, no pets allowed in parkchester. boo. i guess i have to cross that off my list.
Its not really enforced though

If you have a small dog (read not noisy) or a cat you can definitely get away with it.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:27 AM

Cats are fine. Dogs are a supposed to be a no-go. Some residents have small ones and they appear to be getting away with it; however, someone in managment said that they are aware of many of these situations are are going about all the legal requirments to evict those who have broken the rules. I would never chance it. But cats, hamsters, fish, birds, etc. - they are all welcome.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:40 PM

really? you're sure cats are allowed? because thats what i have two kitties. My roomie has a bit of add when it comes to that, perhaps we should still go for an interview?

Old 10-27-2008, 02:33 PM

Well, to be honest, I don't know what the official word is on cats, but I have one and I believe I asked before I moved in and was told "no problem". The problem with dogs is 1) the noise when they bark and 2) the doggy doo they leave behind when rude owners don't pick up after them.

Again, I would not worry about cats. I will call for the office for you right now to check and will post the official response later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City