Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 07:06 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised people in NYC are JUST noticing that there are indeed young Caucasian panhandlers. Here in Pittsburgh it's been several years now that we've had a noticeable increase of "crusty punks" begging at the ends of bridges, at busy intersections, at the ends of offramps, in parks, etc. with dogs, cardboard signs, etc. I don't know why this is happening, for what it's worth, and I just presume this is a new subset of hipster that thinks it's cool to just drift from city to city, nearly penniless, and rely on the kindness of strangers during their travels. I haven't noticed ANY of them around now during our harsh winter, but in the warmer months it seems like they're everywhere, and our local economy is actually robust with a lot of low-paying jobs that still pay well enough to afford our relatively low rents. This makes me presume they aren't "locals", and, if they are, that they're just too lazy to apply to one of zillions of these low-paying jobs available here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2014, 07:17 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm surprised people in NYC are JUST noticing that there are indeed young Caucasian panhandlers. Here in Pittsburgh it's been several years now that we've had a noticeable increase of "crusty punks" begging at the ends of bridges, at busy intersections, at the ends of offramps, in parks, etc. with dogs, cardboard signs, etc. I don't know why this is happening, for what it's worth, and I just presume this is a new subset of hipster that thinks it's cool to just drift from city to city, nearly penniless, and rely on the kindness of strangers during their travels. I haven't noticed ANY of them around now during our harsh winter, but in the warmer months it seems like they're everywhere, and our local economy is actually robust with a lot of low-paying jobs that still pay well enough to afford our relatively low rents. This makes me presume they aren't "locals", and, if they are, that they're just too lazy to apply to one of zillions of these low-paying jobs available here.

First do not assume that "new yorkers" have not noticed them--it is just this one person== second nice try but the people on your streets come right from the Pittsburgh homes and schools and can you imagine how
low one has to be to be a "hipster from Pittsburgh" not quite the same ring as NYC now is it. They are
probably Penn State grads.

Old 02-03-2014, 07:29 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Anyone else get frustrated when they see suckers giving these degenerates money? They are young and on a mission to get drugs. I see them all over Union Square and Greenwich Village with their dogs and their signs looking all hopeless begging for money. I just want to kick these effers in the face. The worst is when you see some moron that sympathizes with them and sits down next to them and acts like they give a $hit and wants to help.

The best help you can give them is not giving them anything. There are plenty of ways they can help themselves but they use the money for one thing, and one thing only. Drugs. Sadly I think we will see more of them with De Blasio running the show now.

There was not one sentence in your post that did not scream of right wing conservative Republican. Just
because you are cheap and lack understanding of why someone would engage one of these poor souls don't put it on others. Believe it or not there are some in the world that do give a $hit even for misguided
people like you.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:52 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I've seen an increase amount of young white folks pan-handling in NYC. There was young white girl sitting near 50th street + 6th ave with a paper bag and a cardboard. Looks like she's making more than those fake Homeless shelter services folk standing at the corner.

Another time I see a young white guy with a cardboard sitting with a big backpack around 37th and broadway corner.
I've noticed this ongoing for like the last 3 or 4 years. I think quite a few are transplants that ran out of parents money or are really bad drug addicts.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Why is this such a big deal?

Go to California and Portland and the majority of beggars are WHITE and YOUNG.

Is panhandling only supposed to be a minority thing? Was there a memo on this that I missed?
In NYC traditionally homelessness is by and large assumed to personify a cracked out Black male. Hence the surprise.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:26 AM

130 posts, read 291,125 times
Several years ago 60 Minutes had a segment about NYC panhandlers, they found several were gypsies and other simply professional panhandlers. Some were making 250000 a year and living in the suburbs

Old 02-03-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whymeagain1 View Post
Several years ago 60 Minutes had a segment about NYC panhandlers, they found several were gypsies and other simply professional panhandlers. Some were making 250000 a year and living in the suburbs
I've heard the number 25,000 thrown around. Was that a slide error? Only way I can imagine someone pulling 250k from panhandling is if they were managing other panhandlers and taking a cut.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:18 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,238,832 times
Nothing new:
Crustypunks, The Wandering Nomads Of The East Village
Crusties
I saw them in Europe in the '90s, while visiting relatives. Literally the same appearance & lifestyle, including the dogs. People pretty much tolerated & ignored them. Conductors didn't even toss them off trains, as long as they sat in the vestibules, not taking up seats. "What's the point?"

Last edited by bigjake54; 02-03-2014 at 10:50 AM..

Old 02-03-2014, 10:23 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,815,444 times
it'll be news to me when I start seeing Asians doing it

Old 02-03-2014, 10:39 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
In NYC traditionally homelessness is by and large assumed to personify a cracked out Black male. Hence the surprise.
I disagree. I think the assumption is mental illness or addiction. Not skin color. Why always trying to find any possible opportunity to catch people stereotyping? You guys that insecure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City