Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 01:01 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobynana View Post
She can afford her apartment, and she can afford to go to school to better herself
they should put an end to bushes taxcuts too... but thats not gonna happen either
so please try to keep up c student
Yet she can't take her mouth off the government teet that provides her family multigenerational public housing, and the college tuition. Quite the independent gal. Want better digs, get out of the projects. 40 years is more than enough time for a family to get their act together.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:11 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Great. Then don't use NYCHA if you don't like the dwellings they're giving you. There are lots of market rate apartment listings out there.
What are "market rates"? $10,000 a month?

Old 02-05-2014, 01:15 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Yet she can't take her mouth off the government teet that provides her family multigenerational public housing, and the college tuition. Quite the independent gal. Want better digs, get out of the projects. 40 years is more than enough time for a family to get their act together.
We have a class of people now called "the working poor". They work hard but the cost of living is so high.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:49 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,539,204 times
40 years.. wow. Multigenerational dependence on NYCHA public housing is really a shame. A product of Progressive liberalism to ensure they have an enslaved voting block.

My family lived in Starrett City in the late 70's- was not NYCHA, but it was federally assisted (don't know what kind of housing Starrett City is now). However my father's goal was to get the hell out when he made more money, not stay there for generations. We left for Queens and then ultimately Long Island when he became more successful.

I guess thats the difference between the immigrant american dream mindset my father had and ultimately achieved and someone born entitled in the projects, dependent on the government.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:52 PM

175 posts, read 353,002 times
Wow, just wow...just wow. after wading through thirteen pages of bull$*t I've reached the same conclusion as everyone else save 2 people on this forum: if the OP doesn't want to live in a drug infested subsidized ****hole, she should pay for her own apartment like every other able bodied working person.

Seriously, 40 years of subsidized housing, really? like really?

Old 02-05-2014, 02:27 PM

175 posts, read 353,002 times
Quote:
REALLY? YES REALLY she doesnt have a 150G a year job to afford market rate rent
she cares about her family health safety and she is not a criminal
and has been a tenant in good standing for 40 years and does not want to leave her home so she can give it to YOUR worthless arse

you got a a CNA job available for the OP making 100Grand a year?
dint think so
otherwise sit ya arse down on the SDFU sidelines with NYwriter
BUHBYE
LOl LOL
I don't have a 150G a year job and I pay 100% my rent and don't ask for hand outs

I care about my family's health and safety and I pay 100% of my rent and don't ask for hand outs. Subsequently, it's because I care for my family that I would work harder so that they don't have to live in public housing, an instill the values of working hard and becoming a responsible adult.

You cannot say "living in NYCHA for 40 years" and "responsible adult" in the same sentence.

I have been a good tenant for +15 years and if my landlord raises my rent and I cant afford it, I move to an apartment that I can afford.

Key themes here are being responsible and being an adult

Old 02-05-2014, 02:32 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times
Quote:
Refuse the apartment site security reasons and the health and safety of your lil girl and elderly mother If they proceed to terminate your tenancy file a notice of claim
HERE
New York City Housing Authority:All Notices of Claim must be served on the Housing Authority’s Claims Department at 250 Broadway, New York, New York 10007

you can do this on your own with poor persons relief or any Legal Aid attourney worth his salt will be too happy to join you

Meanwhile pay your rent on time, GOOD LUCK
Are you the OP under a different name? I don't see why anyone else could be this irrational and hysterical over what people are saying. Does SSI for mental illness pay your rent in NYCHA?

Old 02-05-2014, 02:33 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,312,562 times
@ cobynana - You got people coming out the woodwork to dispute your crazy rants. Some from as far away as Arizona. Maybe time to give it up and realize that yes, you are abusing the system.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:38 PM

706 posts, read 1,042,013 times
MODS - please close this thread!!!

Old 02-05-2014, 04:10 PM

338 posts, read 677,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babo111 View Post
OP - You'll quickly realize that many people on the forum are not fond of NYCHA for both right and wrong reasons. That said, some have given you good advice so filter and take your chances.

Personally, based on your 40 year comment...you and your family should've left the system before. NYCHA serves a purpose to underprivileged family by taking financial burden off so people can try to lift themselves out of their situation. Its now time for others in need to receive that benefit. Kudos for working hard and going to school. Make the next step, take off the training wheel. Good luck.

cobynana - folks like you who proclaim I'm Christian and wear it on sleeve when they toss in their two cents about a topic are part of what's going wrong with certain aspects of Christianity as religion right now. If you really a Christian, you should pray and seek after God's heart more than making dumbass comments then trying to use Christianity to give it some merit. That is the real bs and you should reflect upon that. Source: Your fellow Christian

^ see what I did there. I used my own "Christianity" as some merit to call you out. You see how stupid that comes across as and how silly it is. That's basically what you've been doing.

Best comment in this thread. Calm, rational, no-name calling or hysterical, drama queen spelling, abbreviations or punctuation.

NYCHA is a good idea in theory and yes, I think it helps people in need but 40 years is way, WAY too long, IMO. 40 years--I can't even fathom that. Two generations? You should've been saving all along to get OUT of the sytem, not digging in your heels when they ask you to relinquish the room you don't need--because yes, someone else needs that apartment more. If the only place that's available is in a horrible building, well, the system obviously isn't perfect and you can't dictate the terms when you're on assistance. Again, you should've been planning your exit strategy as soon as you got into NYCHA in the first place. I am a proud liberal but that is the entitlement mentality on display. Cases like that are bread and butter to hardcore Republicans, they can wave that around to support their arguments that ALL welfare and assistance of any kind should be ended completely (with which I stronlgy disagree).

I do hope you are able to talk them into a place in a better building.

Last edited by Gee1995; 02-05-2014 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: Edited to add the post I was complimenting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: